Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best & Worst things about Shankill, Co Dublin.

• 28-09-2013 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,
    We (family) are moving to Shankill soon and don't know the area at all really. For those out there that have lived there or know the area well, what would you say are the best and worst things about the area?
    All top tips gratefully received!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Best:
    Close to the beach
    A very nice village
    Decent public transport links
    A Garda station
    Loads of takeaways and good ones at that.
    Close enough to a hostpital

Worst:
    Some of the inhabitants of Shanganagh Cliffs, Rathsallagh and Clifton.
    It is quite a distance to a large supermarket.

Anywhere south of the Church is magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Have lived most of my life in Shankill. Not a bad place to be at all, what the previous poster said is pretty much spot on. Also will add it's close to the m50 which can be handy.

Negatives for me are the distance from town and the fact it's just a bit of a sleepy suburb. It takes me almost an hour to get into work just opposite Connolly Station, the dart is ridiculously slow. I previously lived in dundrum for a bit and am looking to buy a place there, but having grown up in Shankill I can say it'd be a decent enough place to raise a family.

Also there used to be a super valu in the village which was very handy, but it was bought out by some property developer so it could be turned into apartments. That never happened so I'm hoping it goes back to being a supermarket some day. If not Tesco ballybrack is close enough. Dunnes cornelscourt just a little bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DASS

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I see the shopping centre has been up for planning recently - a facelift is defintely required there! And a decent supermarket would be a big advantage. Good to hear the take aways are decent for those treat nights - any one in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

Best:
    Close to the beach

Anywhere south of the Church is magnificent.

Magnificent is more than a tad hyperbolic there. Its a nice area certainly.

As for the beach, I wouldn't be jumping in the water anywhere around Shankill as you are in close proximity to the sewerage plant. Grand for a walk but you'll have to head up to Killiney for a nice bathing spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Lived in Rathsallagh for a year and hated it.
    Full of loitering teens and joyriders and a general feeling of unease.
    On the plus side? Decent grub from the local Chinese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭josip

Couldn't disagree with anything here. The Chinese upstairs in Bradys is very good and all in all Shankill has a nice village atmosphere which you don't get very much anymore. And it still manages to retain that with a lot of traffic through the village. In addition to previous posts.
    • Shanganagh Park is very good for playgrounds, cycling, long walks.
    • The pharmacy stays open until 9pm which is much appreciated.
    • If you like your bit of mass, the church is quite pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 elizabeth anne

Good things about Shankill are the beach, Shanganagh Park (a beautiful park with fabulous views of mountain and sea), the pretty village, plenty of schools. Dart is a good connection to town. The 145 bus provides another excellent service, all the way to Heuston Station. The Aircoach stops in the village. The M 50 is nearby. So is Wicklow, if you like walking in the countryside and mountains. Brady's Pub has great reasonably priced food. The chipper, Bernardo's, is famous. Shankill always wins a medal - silver this year - in the Tidy Towns competition. You can swim from the beach - the water is very clean, it's Blue Flag (the Sewage Treatment works near Killiney means the water is clean, not the opposite.) There's a beautiful old Carnegie Library.

Downsides are - DART takes about 40 minutes to Tara Street. The bus can be quicker depending on time of day. The shopping centre closed during the Celtic Tiger and hasn't reopened, in spite of promises, so for a big shop you have to go to Bray or Cornelscourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Miri

I do not know if this is the right place. Please move it to the right thread if needed. I am looking for info on Shankill's schools
    and good coed secondary schools that one can go to , if living in Shankill. I would prefer smaller schools. Any advice?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 p17s82

Can anybody tell me how is the Shankill area now? Looing for a place to buy, somewhere around Brady's or so, me and my wife commute to Southside dart areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭kingofclay

Nothing really has changed tbh. It's a nice place, even Clifton and places like that aren't that bad compared to other places. BTW is Clifton the nicest council estate in Ireland, that location if you are at the pitches is just out of this world. Shanks a good little spot especially in the summer months. It's problem is how far out it is. I really think anywhere south of Cabinteely is a bit too distant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement