Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G/HSPA Routers

• 07-03-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

Dovado has a thread here.

But Linksys, Dlink, Netgear, Draytek and others do them too. You can also use an old PC with ClarkeConnect (free Linux Router).

But this is a nice solution too:
    http://www.slashgear.com/cradlepoint-phs300-3g-wifi-router-reviewed-simple-flexible-0636729/

There is also an app to turn smart 3G/HSDPA phones that have WiFi into a hotspot.

There are many advantages to using a Router compared with 3G modem direct.
    • Firewall protection (Windows built in Firewall is rubbish)
    • Share with more than one user
    • ethernet or WiFi to things with no USB or no 3G drivers
    • WiFi for iTouch, Archos, PhotoFrames etc...
    • Block some users at certain times or from certain sites
    • Position router for better 3G signal, even outdoor in weather poof box or upstairs at mast facing window.

I've looked at cradle point before and converted a Linksys Router to portable Battery Operation. Handy having Mobile WiFi Hotspot to listen to BBC R4 FM in car or update Maps...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Oneredarmy

I'm slight confused Watty. In the Meteor Broadband thread you commented that 3g wireless was
    watty wrote: »
    for Phones, mobile gadgets and occasional use on the go. Not for Home or Work fixed Broadband.

On that basis, is a 3g router that relevant a product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Anon47

I bought a Solwise 3G router from broadbandbuyer.co.uk and it works just fine sharing out my (totally crap in the evenings) service from Three
    It was only about 60 euro which is only half the cost of the likes of Dovado.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It lets you use WiFi gadgets or ethernet with anythning the 3G modem won't work on.

You can put the modem in a better position without limitation of USB cable length.

It's not going to make it any worse for one user, but add convenience and sometimes improve the signal. If you have a very good connection then a couple of people or more can browse or you can use alternate computers without having to swap the Modem and install the software.

Here is review of the Solwise:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/03/13/review_networking_solwise_mobile_router/

Much as it is NOT a replacement for "real" broadband, 3G/HSPA Mobile is very useful if you are out & About. You could use this via cheap mains adaptor to cigar socket as WiFi in car too.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/03/13/review_networking_solwise_mobile_router/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm going to sticky this, as it's useful information to have alongside the Dovado thread.

• Advertisement

OpenWRT examples with 3G Modems

E220 USB
    http://josefsson.org/openwrt/dongle.html

E600 PCMCIA
    http://josefsson.org/openwrt/internet.html

Other ideas
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04/30/qanda_usb_3g_modem/comments/

If you install the free ClarkConnect router software on an old laptop or PC you can add the USB 3G dongle as the WAN instead of a 2nd ethernet card by following instructions to add 3G USB to Redhat or Fedora Linux. If you use that as a router for external bridged DSL modem, or fixed wireless or cable modem via the normal 2nd ethernet port configuration, then you can set up the ClarkConnect router to automatically switch over to USB 3G if normal internet fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

watty wrote: »

Much as it is NOT a replacement for "real" broadband, 3G/HSPA Mobile is very useful if you are out & About.

Having moved from eircom 7.2meg to mobile (moved to the countryside) I have to say that o2 mobile has often been faster than eircom. Of course, it has also been much worse than dial-up......

It's all I have for the foreseeable future so here's hoping there are more good days than bad. Obviously you can't depend on this technology for running a business from day to day, but so far I can cope with the annoyances of daily surfing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 kgdo85

Are there any issues with installing software on PC's etc when using the 3G broadband through a router?eg when you use the 3G dongle thingy directly with a laptop or pc you have to intall the software onto the computer before use. How is this set up done when using the 3G dongle through a router??

Nothing to install. The Modem drivers are PRE-INSTALLED on the Router. Unless you are using OpenWRT or DD-wrt, you can't add a modem not already on the built in list.

Just use normal ethernet or WiFi. So the 3G then works with WiFi Internet radio, gadgets, any OS at all with Networking, Sony PS2, Xbox etc (Badly due to lag.latency).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Anon47

M Solwise needed a firmware upgrade after I bought it but its very stable now. I just needed to supply one parameter called the APN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Into Everything

Has anyone used this router, Edimax 3G-6200WG 3G Router with Print Server. Selling in peats.com for €90.

See it here http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=25634

Thanks in advance

P.S. Using it with vodafone 3g E220 modem (for the minute but I will be changing unless they increase their download cap)

Home page
    http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=279&pl1_id=3&pl2_id=18

I'm not sure I'd want one with built in print server as this has, as you would want printer near a PC where you working and 3G router on a window sill upstairs. Peats isn't what I'd call a bargain store and I'm suspicious I only see Bling Gadget Hype Boy Toy places mostly selling it ($149 to €83 )

If I needed a print server I'd use a separate one.

Ironically *my* print server is upstairs near window (beside PC desk actually) and my router is on a shelf in the kitchen (but it's a router for cable modem).

OK confirmed this week that if you put a USB PCMCIA adaptor into the PCMCIA slot on any Router supported by OpenWrt (e.g. WRT54G3G) you load the standard USB drivers and then the USB host ports work with
    • USB hard Drive holders for IDE/SATA drives, even with NTFS
    • USB 3G Modems supported by OpenWRT/Linux
    • Some USB webcams
    • Standard USB Souncard dongles
    • USB Printing
    • USB Memory stick

I imagine a USB Cardreader can be got working too.

the tested adaptor was a Maplin STLabs USB2.0 2 Port Cardbus adaptor. It has a 5V DC in socket to allow a total of 1A (2x 500mA USB) which the PCMCIA slot can't usually deliver. Lower current USB devices are fine without a PSU.

There are 4 different drivers depending which USB chip the PCMCIA card uses. The correct driver loads and wrong ones dont' and can be uninstalled.

The USB host ports on a PCEngines Wrap Board only need a PC USB motherboard to rear panel socket adaptor. Alexis/Soeckris boards similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mimnagh

Hi, I'm having trouble connecting my 3G router to work. I hope someone can help.......

I just bought the Edimax 3G router above but i'm having trouble connecting my 3 Mobile Broadband modem - Huawei E180

The driver (disk) only has software for windows and i'm using a MacBook - To overcome this i have accessed the router settings using 192.168.2.1 and entered the APN for 3 which i believe is 3ireland.ie

From reading other posts, it seems that the APN field is the only field to enter. There is no pin set on the modem so i have left this and other fields blank.

So, when i plug the Huawei e180 modem in to the edimax router - the blue light starts but there is no internet coming through

WiFi light is orange...

Do i still need software? I can;t find anything for the Mac OS on the Edimax website.

I would gratefully appreciate your help - Thank You

No drivers are required or possible for any Router. Driver disks are only for Mac & Windows.

Linux (or other embedded OS) drivers are already installed on 3G Routers. You select the modem (or a compatible model in some cases) in the router's set up menu.

You did perfectly correct. Router needs no SW for Mac or Windows, it is accessed via Web Browser.

Make sure on your Mac network connection the Gateway and DNS are both the IP address of your router (in this case 192.168.2.1).

If your web brower for configuration to http://192.168.2.1 can access the router via WiFi then WiFi is OK.

If you can only access http://192.168.2.1 on your browser via an ethernet cable, then you need to setup WPA WiFi with a passphrase (at least 25 characters mix numbers upper lower case, and write it down 1st), identically on the Router and the Mac (WPA PSK or WPA2 PSK and ideally AES)

If you can't access Internet via cable then try the modem on your Mac (needs Mac drivers) or some ones PC 1st and use the supplied software to turn off PIN and check that the modem connects.

The modem itself only needs Mac or Windows Drivers / Software if used directly without the Edimax. Any modem software should be uninstalled once the Modem works on the router.

Thanks for your help Watty

I think the problem lies in the fact that my modem or any mobile broadband provider's modem is not listed. From speaking to Edimax support today - this is meant to be in the WAN settings section - which it isn't.

They asked me to upload the latest firmware as this would contain latest modems and configurations. Downloaded the file (which is a .rar file) from the website, but when i go to upload it onto the router - i get the message "Invalid file format!"

Can't seem to win here at all!!! Will persevere! Thanks again watty

BTW - i can access router settings wirelessley despite a yellow wi-fi light (even when i wipe the cache)

Just don't get it!

you need a utility to unpack the .rar, it' s an archive compressed file

Something like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipeg or
    http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Compression-Tools/RAR-for-Mac-OS-X.shtml

Search your favorite sources of Mac free softwares

Thanks Watty

Called up Edimax tech support - they're very helpful and there is a number for calling from Ireland - the team are uk based.

Anyway - there was something wrong with the download from the site as the file was meant to be a .bin file when unzipped. They eventually e-mailed it to me. I had to find a windows machine and use it (instead of my Macbook) to upload the new firmware. (Go to system tools on the router 192.168.2.1 to upload)

With Firmware uploaded - i reconnected the edimax router to my macbook. Went to the router settings again 192.168.2.1

Under General Set UP - go to 3G/3.5 G on the left. All you have to do here is enter your mobile broadband provider's APN (3ireland.ie - for example) Hit apply to all save everything.

Still under General Setup - go to 'wireless' make sure "Enable or disable Wireless module function " is enabled. Then click on "Basic settings" (on the left) - enter the name you want to call your router in the field "ESSID". Below "basic settings" you'll see "security settings" where you can set up a security password for the router. Select WPA Pre-share key and enter your password in the blank field that says "WPA Pre-share key". Hit apply to all that.

Restart your router. plug in you mobile broadband router. Go to "Status Infor" then on the left you'll see "internet connection". Click on it. You should now see that the "WWAN Status" is now "connected"

Thanks again Watty for your responses and help - i really appreciate it...hopefully this note will save the next guy some time!!!!

Peace out

• Registered Users Posts: 20 difenda

Hi Folks,

Ok I got me a 3 Wireless Broadband Modem (USB Dongle thing) and its pretty good all areas I use it. I have a Draytek 2820n wireless router that has a USB connection that can take a 3g modem in case the DSL fails etc. I cannot for the life of me get the any internet service when the 3g modem is plugged into the Draytek and I have pretty much read the manuals and entered the correct setting for the 3g in the Draytek via http://192.168.1.1

Can anyone please confirm what the APN for 3 is or where I can go next???

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

difenda wrote: »
    I have a Draytek 2820n wireless router that has a USB connection that can take a 3g modem in case the DSL fails etc. I cannot for the life of me get the any internet service when the 3g modem is plugged into the Draytek and I have pretty much read the manuals and entered the correct setting for the 3g in the Draytek via http://192.168.1.1

Thread merged, this is the correct place for it.

The APN settings can be found in the FAQ.

Thanks for the link jorel. I have been using 3internet as the APN, as thats what the modem uses when connected direclty to my XP lappy. I shall try the other in case its a quick fix. I am looking for Drayket firmware as I kinda suspect the Huawei E180 was not supported by the Draytek 2820n when it was new... maybe a firmware update will sort it. Let you know either way. Thanks again.

You have to select the correct Modem in the Draytek menu. NO external router uses the PC/MAC drivers but only the drivers "built in".

If there is no E180 menu setup option in the Draytek, it won't work, unless a different model driver is compatible enough. The exact same APN as works on the laptop is the correct one.

OK just upgraded firmware, going to move modem form laptop and into router. Check back in a bit hopefully with 3g modem connectivity via the router!!

Watty, just seen your post before I logged off

"You have to select the correct Modem in the Draytek menu"

I cant see any facility in the draytek to specify and specific brand/model of 3g modem. Should I???

Also - yes I see your point on the APN and thats what I would have though as well, the APN that works on the laptop should work on the router.

Let you know.

Yehay....................... after hours of persistance I got there, bloody technology, and I have only just got used to eating with knives and forks.

Not sure what I actually did to get the solution but here's what I went through;

I upgraded the firmware on the router
    I added a short usb cable between the Draytek router and the Huawei E180 modem
    I turned off the PIN code requirement on the E180 (through the Connection software supplied by 3, with Modem directly attached to the lappy)

Here's the one I think finally made the fix... on the router under the WAN2 connection where it says Modem Dial String I entered ATDT*99#
    This is slightly different than when the USB Modem is connected to the laptop as that only uses *99#

There you go, hope this helps as opposed to confuses people, I am now browsing on my LG Renoir, wireless WEP link to the router and 3g on the router out to the internet. Happy days.

ON the PC the ATDT is automatically added. Its the regular analogue dialup Modem command that say ATtention [next is a modem command, not data] Dial Tone

Perhaps the Draytek auto-detects the Modem model. I've used Dlink & Linksys where you had to use a menu. The Netgear and Dovado models I used had custom firmware for a specific non-3G modem.

You should use WPA wireless though as WEP is very easily cracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Here's a slightly alternative route to what's been posted here already, nothing new really, just a little DYI solution.

* You're bound to have one of the early netbooks lying around (tiny screen, ssd drives). Everybody wanted and bought one when they came out 15 months ago, now everybody's trying to get rid of them.

* Install ubuntu (vanilla) on it, or just load it from usb stick or memory card.

* Install your 3g modem on it. Under ubuntu it is a succession of "next" propmts, "windows style".

* From the network manager click "Create new wireless network", encrypt it if ou wish and

* Voila, you've got wifi.

Pros:
    1. Have wifi anywhere (car, camping etc)
    2. Runs on batery for few hours if needed
    3. You have fully blown os on a far from full blown pc instead of just router.
    4. Absolutelly no software (except ubiquitous ubuntu .iso or disc) or hacking required. Although, I know for certain that many of you would categorise this as a "negative" feature.
    5. No need to buy (sometimes expensive) 3g router to share your bband.
    6. Consumes very little power
    7. You can pick up one of the early netbooks for next to nothing on ebay, even refurbs on laptopsdirect if you do not have one.

Cons:
    1. Range not as good compared to router, as there's no wifi antena
    2. Not really suitable to be a long term/permanent solution
    3. Other's that I'm not familiar with.

btw, this is just "Internet sharing connection" known from windows world, although in a much safer and capable environment.

You can easily google or ask on a linux group how to use IPTABLES and set it up a as fully functional Firewall/NAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RedLedbetter

Ok, hanging my head in shame - first I checked the performance, then I made sure it was USB compatible and GPRS/HSDPA/3G compatible - check and check. Don't ask me why, but I was convinced my 3 USB dongle was the E220..... it's not, it's the E180..... the one NOT on the compatibility list for the WRT54G3GV2-VF router!

3 don't support anything other than the router they supply, so that brought their support to an end. Linksys were a little more helpful, said officially ye the E180 is not on the compatibility list, but???? Re-flashed the firmware and yes, this time the router was not looping on "Acquiring" network, but picked up 3 IRL. However, when trying to connect it was just, well, trying to connect and not connecting.

Absolutely sick with myself for not verifying the E180 on the compatibility list, basic, basic error and I know it's probably a stupid question, but is there any hope of getting the E180 to work with the WRT54G3GV2-VF (VF as preconfigured for Vodafone)?

The fact I managed to get the router to eventually pick up the 3 IRL network gave me some hope. I configured the APN to 3ireland.ie (no username, password or pin). I did read a post (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055037659) which mentioned similar issue, but they probably had a device that was ON the compatibility list. I was thinking if there might be a way to flash the firmware with a firmware not configured for Vodafone, but a generic WRT54G3GV2 firmware? Or somehow being able to get E180 driver software onto the router?

One thing about the Linksys routers (have several) the logging is sh^t. Enabled but not seeing one single line of information in the logs, so can't actually tell where it's falling over.

Cluthing at straws and nobody to blame but myself!!!!! Arrrrggggghhhh

Advertisement