Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

• 04-12-2014 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

I think it's high time we had a thread for 2015, otherwise news/updates will be lost in the back of the old thread. Did I hear yesterday double points has been removed from the 2015 season?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

1st :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

No double points, no standing restarts...and Korea is apparently back on the calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,001 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Some stuff from twitter
    4PZAeL.jpg

6pw2EA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Zcott wrote: »
    No double points, no standing restarts...and Korea is apparently back on the calendar.

With Korea is that 21 races on the calendar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

With Korea is that 21 races on the calendar?

Ludicrous amount of races to have for the season if you ask me. I can't see Korea being confirmed but if it was to be a 21 race season I think it's really stretching what team personnel, media and everyone else involved in the sport can physically do. I think that when the FIA come up with their calendar it's just a couple of lads in Paris with no concept whatsoever of how difficult it is to do that level of travelling in a high pressure environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭tripperman

frostie500 wrote: »
    Ludicrous amount of races to have for the season if you ask me. I can't see Korea being confirmed but if it was to be a 21 race season I think it's really stretching what team personnel, media and everyone else involved in the sport can physically do. I think that when the FIA come up with their calendar it's just a couple of lads in Paris with no concept whatsoever of how difficult it is to do that level of travelling in a high pressure environment.

i hear the crying starting how are we to eek out 21 race weekends from 5 engines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Too many races on the calendar, should be capped at 18 in my opinion. I'd nearly go further and go back to 16 and allow the teams 5 or 6 weekends of in season test sessions. And more winter testing.

The only way I can see Mercedes being challenged in 2015 is if McLaren produce a good car and Honda are immediately competitive. I can see one happening but not both. Honda's 2000-2008 stint in the sport does not fill me with confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I always wondered how they fitted the passenger on those 2-seater F1 cars.

I really don't care how many races there are if they'd keep them a regular 2 weeks between races. For logistics there's simple things they could do with scheduling.
    Last year for example:

1 Australian Grand Prix Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit, Melbourne 16 March
    2 Malaysian Grand Prix Sepang International Circuit, Kuala Lumpur 30 March
    3 Bahrain Grand Prix Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir 6 April
    4 Chinese Grand Prix Shanghai International Circuit, Shanghai 20 April
    5 Spanish Grand Prix Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Barcelona 11 May
    6 Monaco Grand Prix Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo 25 May
    7 Canadian Grand Prix Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal 8 June
    8 Austrian Grand Prix Red Bull Ring, Spielberg 22 June
    9 British Grand Prix Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone 6 July
    10 German Grand Prix Hockenheimring, Hockenheim 20 July
    11 Hungarian Grand Prix Hungaroring, Budapest 27 July
    12 Belgian Grand Prix Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Stavelot 24 August
    13 Italian Grand Prix Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza 7 September
    14 Singapore Grand Prix Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore 21 September
    15 Japanese Grand Prix Suzuka Circuit, Suzuka 5 October
    16 Russian Grand Prix Sochi Autodrom, Sochi[2] 12 October
    17 United States Grand Prix Circuit of the Americas, Austin 2 November
    18 Brazilian Grand Prix Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo 9 November
    19 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi 23 November

Why go Malaysia to Bahrain to China to Spain? Idiotic. Why have Canada in with the European races? Then at the end it's Singapore to Japan (fine) to Russia to USA to Brazil to Abu Dhabi. Not the worst stretch but Abu Dhabi sticks out like a sore thumb. At least have Bahrain towards the end and have 2 races a week apart in the Middle East, good timing under the lights.

But hey, that would just be too easy. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I always wondered how they fitted the passenger on those 2-seater F1 cars.
    I'll try to find pics but in the MP4-98T the passenger sat spread legged around the driver's monocoque.
    gpx2375.jpg

• Advertisement

Not ideal for the lads in the heavy braking zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not ideal for the lads in the heavy braking zones.
    There would be padding between the passenger and the driver, and the seatbelts would have the passenger pretty much pasted to the seat.
    It'd be the rumble strips I'd be worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why have Canada in with the European races?

this one is weather related isn't it, too bad to do it before / after USA type time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,617 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I like having the Canadian GP in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Korean GP isn't going to happen

1 week between Korean GP and Spanish GP?

Good one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Zcott wrote: »

But Korea have said that they told the FIA that they would find it hard to host a GP next year yet the FIA still have it on the calender.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

The reasoning is that having a Korean GP pushes up the number of engines allowed per team so that Renault and Ferrari can have an extra unit so as to limit the strain on components. Of course, this being F1, everyone thinks this is a great wheeze until they realise there actually *is* a Korean GP and the cars get to trundle around a s**t track with the marshals outnumbering the spectators by a considerable margin and at a time of the year guaranteed to provide torrential rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Reliability should improve next season as everybody has a year done with the new engines. McLaren would be the exception and with Honda only running one team they won't get as many miles on the clock or the feedback. It could be a difficult season for McLaren next year if they don't hit the ground running with Honda.

With all the talk of the Korean GP making a possible return this year, this picture of Mark Webbers car was taken at the 2010 race:

webber1-lg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Weren't they still finishing the track the first year as the teams arrived.

• Advertisement

Now I feel like watching the 2010 Korean GP out of curiosity.

EDIT: @TheDoctor, IIRC the track owners wanted a city built around the Yeongam circuit, and we know how that turned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I really don't care how many races there are if they'd keep them a regular 2 weeks between races.

Agreed. I hate these random 3 week breaks between races. This has been the first year when I've almost forgotten it was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I know the what if's & buts are meaningless, but it's mad to think that if that crash in Korea hadn't happened, Webber would in all likelihood have been world champion that year

From the 2012 Korean GP:

rIwYCrV.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Myrddin wrote: »
    I know the what if's & buts are meaningless, but it's mad to think that if that crash in Korea hadn't happened, Webber would in all likelihood have been world champion that year

The margins of victory are always incredibly small in sport.
    In that particular year, the right man won, as Vettel went on to be the far superior driver to Webber over their time as team-mates.
    If Hamilton and Rosberg swapped cars in Abu Dhabi, it would be Rosberg whod be World Champion right now. If he was, he'd probably be the least popular champion of all time, considering the reaction he was getting on the podiums around Europe. Fans would feel Hamilton was mugged considering the season as a whole.
    Funny how the Cream always seems to rise to the top, someway, somehow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

The margins of victory are always incredibly small in sport.
    In that particular year, the right man won, as Vettel went on to be the far superior driver to Webber over their time as team-mates.
    If Hamilton and Rosberg swapped cars in Abu Dhabi, it would be Rosberg whod be World Champion right now. If he was, he'd probably be the least popular champion of all time, considering the reaction he was getting on the podiums around Europe. Fans would feel Hamilton was mugged considering the season as a whole.
    Funny how the Cream always seems to rise to the top, someway, somehow!

I don't think he'd be an unpopular champion. He comes across as being very genuine in interviews. There was a lot made by the media of hamilton vs rosberg, I think a lot of it was for show and put on. Hamilton is very gracious in victory, he could take a leaf out of Rosberg's book when it comes to his defeats though

I don't think he'd be an unpopular champion. He comes across as being very genuine in interviews. There was a lot made by the media of hamilton vs rosberg, I think a lot of it was for show and put on. Hamilton is very gracious in victory, he could take a leaf out of Rosberg's book when it comes to his defeats though

*cough*Sky*cough* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

frostie500 wrote: »
    Ludicrous amount of races to have for the season if you ask me.

21 is alright; I mean they're not pushing the teams and crews to the extent of something like 38 races in 9 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

http://www.infiniti-redbullracing.com/article/factory-incident-update

Anyone else picturing a German reg Ferrari towing a trailer? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Just seen a gang broke into the Red Bull factory in Milton Keynes and stole a load of the F1 trophys ....

Advertisement