Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

73 wpm with one mistake, I guess being stuck at a computer all day has some advantages!

Had an absolutely gigantic dinner followed by homemade choc chip cookies, I'm too stuffed to move off the couch! :D
    Everyone here is very fast! :(
    Do most of you type a lot at work/college?! I never used a computer in school, rarely in college and never type in work.
    I'd be flying if I could test myself on the number keypad one though! :pac: I use that one all day at work- rarely type anything that isn't numbers though- can't wait until I can type 40-50 WPM correctly and accurately. Purely for posting here more, of course. :D

Mmmmm- cookies. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Posy wrote: »
    Do most of you type a lot at work/college?! I never used a computer in school, rarely in college and never type in work.
    I'd be flying if I could test myself on the number keypad one though! :pac: I use that one all day at work- rarely type anything that isn't numbers though- can't wait until I can type 40-50 WPM correctly and accurately. Purely for posting here more, of course. :D

call centre, and years of video games has given me really good hand to eye co-ordination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I have gotten much quicker at typing since I started my own business and send a million emails a week! I got a Distinction in Word Processing in my PLC course after Leaving Cert, I was doing an Art course, very arty people suck at computers, I'm not very arty, so I was the best in the class! I finished the course 8 weeks before the rest of them so had Monday morning classes free, the tutor told me at one stage he'd break my fingers if I didn't slow down, I wasn't fast, they were all slow! I remember watching one of my best friends there (she is the artiest person alive) spend a good 15 seconds looking for B.

krudler wrote: »
    call centre, and years of video games has given me really good hand to eye co-ordination.
    The last video games I played were on my Commodore 64. :o
    I knew not being mad into gaming would come back to bite me in the ass!! :mad:

Acoshla wrote: »
    I got a Distinction in Word Processing in my PLC course after Leaving Cert, I was doing an Art course, very arty people suck at computers, I'm not very arty, so I was the best in the class! I finished the course 8 weeks before the rest of them so had Monday morning classes free, the tutor told me at one stage he'd break my fingers if I didn't slow down, I wasn't fast, they were all slow! I remember watching one of my best friends there (she is the artiest person alive) spend a good 15 seconds looking for B.
    Hehe to the bit in bold! :D
    I'm doing a nightclass that has a typing test at the end- I'm so fecked!! :eek:

I'll just have to practice here more.

asdfghjkl asdfghjkl asdfghjkl asdfghjkl asdfghjkl asdfghjkl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I had a class in Transition Year in school where we were taught to type 'properly' so I've had about 10 years' practice, and I'm at a computer all day in work too so I guess it's just habit for me at this stage!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Up in Castlebar for the weekend and in Dublin on Wednesday, plus a nutrition exam on Tuesday - typical everything costing me money happens when I'm nearly broke! Should be an interesting weekend though!

My mom learned to type back in the day when they had blank keys and a chart on the wall for the letters. She is a demon to type up an essay for you in the shortest time possible, never looks at the screen or the keys, just the page!

My dress is winging it's way here, it's already gone through 6 processes and has left China *happy dance*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Just checked my online banking - my account is €10 overdrawn from the few days in London. Was €6 over drawn until the bank decided to charge me €4 in fee's :rolleyes: :mad:

Also, dinner is horrible.:(

Up in Castlebar for the weekend and in Dublin on Wednesday, plus a nutrition exam on Tuesday - typical everything costing me money happens when I'm nearly broke! Should be an interesting weekend though!
    Bills/expenses/car tax/nights out/birthdays/mother's day/rent etc all need to be paid at the same time. I think it's the law. :(
    If I didn't get paid weekly I think I'd starve. :o

• Advertisement

Bills/expenses/car tax/nights out/birthdays/mother's day/rent etc all need to be paid at the same time. I think it's the law. :(
    If I didn't get paid weekly I think I'd starve. :o

We've had crazy pricey weeks the last while. €300 to get house sprayed outside and remove algae stuff, €200 for pet food, €300 for oil, €40 for plumber, €350 for carpet/flooring, €100 for massages, €160 car tax, €110 for antivirus software, among other things... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

€110 for antivirus software

I'd advise you not to pay for antivirus software in the future.

The free ones are actually really really good. :)

windows security essentials is the job, does everything you need it to and its free, I had antivirus stuff before and took it all off and used that instead, found it way better and didnt slow my laptop down to a crawl like *shudder* McAfee.

or just get a mac :pac:

or just get a mac :pac:

Only a temporary safety.

I don't have any anti-virus on my mac either. But I know I'll need it one day.

Please let my back stop hurting. Oh dear god, please make it stop. :(

Speaking of anti-virus software, the other day I was cleaning up and defragmentating my mothers acer desktop and she had four (yes FOUR) anti-virus programmes on it. :eek: :rolleyes:

I can't say I had much fun removing them........

Only a temporary safety.

I don't have any anti-virus on my mac either. But I know I'll need it one day.

I have it, rarely ever use it though, it scans occasionally, not once ever reported any sort of detection. when I scanned my windows laptop it'd show up spyware every ten minutes lol

Speaking of anti-virus software, the other day I was cleaning up and defragmentating my mothers acer desktop and she had four (yes FOUR) anti-virus programmes on it. :eek: :rolleyes:

I can't say I had much fun removing them........

does it have a million toolbars and search addons as well, what is it with older people accepting anything the internet says you should have, some of our pcs at work are like that, half the screen is taken up with every craptacular search function and social thingy on the net, looks like this:

iemess2_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Boards taught me to type quickly! :D

Nah, we did the whole Maevis Beacon thing in 1st year of Secondary. It was just practice (and misspent youth) after that.

That's for two computers, mine is only €20, boyfriend's pc is his very expensive baby and we've both had enough problems with viruses whilst having free software that we'd prefer to stick with the good ones we've found.

• Advertisement

does it have a million toolbars and search addons as well, what is it with older people accepting anything the internet says you should have, some of our pcs at work are like that, half the screen is taken up with every craptacular search function and social thingy on the net, looks like this:

http://www.liveside.net/wp-content/images/archive/2008/05/iemess2_2.jpg
    Nope it didn't have a million toolbars thank god.

I hate it when someone is using my laptop and downloads something, without checking what it is they are downloading and then not bother to uncheck the boxes for the toolbars etc.

So now I put everyone on the guest account and don't let them download anything, all downloads can only be done by an administrator account.

My dress is winging it's way here, it's already gone through 6 processes and has left China *happy dance*
    Yaaay! :)
    windows security essentials is the job, does everything you need it to and its free, I had antivirus stuff before and took it all off and used that instead, found it way better and didnt slow my laptop down to a crawl like *shudder* McAfee.
    I have windows security essentials- it's great.. and FREEEE!
    half the screen is taken up with every craptacular search function and social thingy on the net, looks like this:
    Dear God- the poor computers! :eek:

oh dear jesus, cute kitteh alert

Nope it didn't have a million toolbars thank god.

I hate it when someone is using my laptop and downloads something, without checking what it is they are downloading and then not bother to uncheck the boxes for the toolbars etc.

So now I put everyone on the guest account and don't let them download anything, all downloads can only be done by an administrator account.

"millionth visitor? free ipad! my lucky day!"

OMG!!!! You are SO LUCKY!!! :eek: :D

OMG!!!! You are SO LUCKY!!! :eek: :D

there's also hot local girls in my area waiting to chat to me, lifes pretty sweet right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

there's also hot local girls in my area waiting to chat to me, lifes pretty sweet right now.

Hey, me too! My browser must think I'm a lesbian. :rolleyes:

I want that kitten, it's so cute! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    Hey, me too! My browser must think I'm a lesbian. :rolleyes:

And mine wants me to enlarge my penis! :eek:

oh dear jesus, cute kitteh alert

v_eTyIDOsd8&feature=relmfu
    Is it sad that I just went "awww" at that video? The kitteh is unbelievably cute.
    Reminds me of my mother telling me about the day her boss got seven (or some ridiculous number) of those calls telling her she won a round the world cruise.

She's also gotten calls from Windows/Microsoft telling her her computer is at risk, she's elderly and has never owned a computer in her life afaik.

Eating an Orange Aero now, so so delicious.

• Advertisement

Psssssst... if you PM me your bank details, there's a member of the Royal Family in Nigeria looking to relocate some funds. Sounds like a sweet deal of you want in. :)

How's the holiday, Krudler? Or should I ask since it's Friday night and you're posting on boards? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement