Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Image and what you look like on stage...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eoin1981

I remember an interview with an old folkie called Jackson C. Frank who always wore a suit when performing (very against the trend in the hippie 60's) but he said that, "Other people dress to go to work, why should I be any different? This is my work, my job my life" I took that advice when I heard it and it made all the gigs I played that little bit sweeter..

for mentioning jackson c. frank i salute you. great singer/songwriter. only released one album. very tragic.

anyway - i agree with the dressing up. i dress up a little. You should at least look like you've tried to stand out. You are 'performing' on a 'stage' so some effort should me made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jordo141

Yes it deffo does...

I remember my first proper gig... Punk covers band; and the rythm guitarist turns up wearing a dress when we were there I ragged jeans and t-shirts,

Generally I think there is a sorta "code" to the genre/occasion. (ie: wedding band = suits... indie=shirt/jeans combo).

Or maybe I'm wrong... I'm not a very fashionable guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

The Master wrote: »
    One of the bands I was playing in doing weddings/parties and regular pub gigs the dress code was black shirt,tie and slacks for weddings/parties and blue jeans and black shirt for pub gigs.
    Very bland but really set the tone at all of the gigs.

The all black dress look at weddings kept us looking neat and well presented just as the bridal party would like and the jeans and black shirt look at pubs was still a smart/casual kind of look that was just the right step above looking like a regular punter in the pub without looking too dressed up for the occasion.

ahem,

sort of "borrowed" that idea for my first gig with my new band last night.
    Suggested it at a rehearsal and it went down very well with both the lads and the punters
    result all round so :D
    next time we're playing, drop in and Ill buy ya a pint ;);)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Cheers, glad I could help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

We just kind of do whatever, I usually go with the intention of wearing a long sleeve/button up shirt, but pretty much every time I ditch it and just end up with my t shirt, for the simple reason that it gets way too hot, haha.
    Myself and the singer generally move around a fair bit, but this place was small as ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 benestoria2

there is nothing decent about the haircut Liam is sporting nowliam-gallagher_3412208.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

there is nothing decent about the haircut Liam is sporting now
    I dunno, I'd say there are plenty of women who'd cheerfully kill for hair like that ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

liam-gallagher_3412208.jpg

So close, Liam..

nigel-tufnel-spinal-tap.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 37 benestoria2

I think it was Alan Carr that said he looks like Dora the explorer...

81303_dora_creator_10bday_main.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

John+Deacon+Yellow+pants.jpg

John Decon says it doesnt matter! :D

Of course it does tho. You dont have to go Lady Ga Ga on it or anything but always looks alot better if the entire band are on a similar wavelength dress-wise. Many brilliant bands dont make it cos they are missing something from the package and id say easily 7 times out of 10 the thing thats missing is the image. You dont have to wear matching suits or the like, just your "going out clothes" but along a similar line with the rest of the band imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

John Deacon could have walked on stage naked an no one would have noticed, he was playing behind one of the most charismatic singers of all time.

And both Freddie and Brian May had very distinctive images, and so as long as John and Roger were neutral then the effect would still exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 stopmoclay

In my opinion enough bands dont work on image nowadays. Im not saying every band should look like Motley Crue or wear matching uniforms like The Eagles but I think a band should pick a certain style and all agree on that style at least. Too many people nowadays turn up on stage in a T-Shirt and jeans with no sense of style whatsoever

Advertisement