Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irelands most likely Olympic 2012 Medals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Dan man wrote: »
    K_1 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0518/1224316281215.html

Apparently Jenny Egan is still in with a slim chance of qualification on a 'countback system'.[/QUOTE
    There was no follow-up to this. Can we take it that Jenny Egan ain't going to London?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

BMX World Champs start on Friday. Kelvin Batey will be looking to qualify for Ireland. Kelvin was controversially not selected for GB for Beijing and switched allegiances in 2010

A top 20 place should see him safe.

Dodge wrote: »
    BMX World Champs start on Friday. Kelvin Batey will be looking to qualify for Ireland.

A top 20 place should see him safe.
    How good is Kelvin Batey. What chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

feargale wrote: »
    Dan man wrote: »
    K_1 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0518/1224316281215.html

Apparently Jenny Egan is still in with a slim chance of qualification on a 'countback system'.[/QUOTE
    There was no follow-up to this. Can we take it that Jenny Egan ain't going to London?

We won't know until 21st June.

Sanita Puspure goes for Olympic qualification tomorrow in the women's single sculls final in Lucerne. She needs a top 3 finish (not sure if top 4 is enough) to secure qualification. Her race starts at 4:10pm tomorrow afternoon. Best of luck to Sanita.
    If we don't have any rowing representatives this summer in London it will be the first time since Los Angeles 1984 Olympics that this has happened.

• Advertisement

How good is Kelvin Batey. What chance?

I'm not an expert but he was 8th in a high quality British series meeting recently where many international riders were using it as prep.

Qulification is based on team and individual rankings. So the top 5 nations can nominate 3 riders, nations 6-8 nominate 2 riders. Nations 9-11 nominate 1. Thats based on UCI rankings

After that the 6 best ranking nationas at the world championships can nominate one. If GB qualify a rider through these routes, and extra quota place is there. In total there are 32 riders who'll qualify (30 (from 17 nations) + host + tripartite)

The worlds also dominate the rankings, so basically this is the qualifier.

Such is the chaos of BMX riding that 25 countries will feel like they can get a rider qualifed and Kelvin has a chance.

In today's swimming, Sycerika was a DNS in 200 IM, Mel finished 22nd in 100m backstroke. I think both girls were entitled to celebrate a bit yesterday ;)

In the non olympic 50m backstroke, karl burdis qualified for semis in 15th place

The Womens single Sculls final is at 4.15pm (Irish time) sanita goes in lane 6. Top 3 qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Final_Olympic_Qualification_Regatta_2012,_Lucerne
    start list Final A  (W1x)  start time:  23.05.2012 17:15:00   boat prog.: Olympic Qualification Places 1-4
    Lane 	Boat 	Country
    1 	EST 	Estonia
    2 	USA 	United States
    3 	DEN 	Denmark
    4 	AUS 	Australia
    5 	SRB 	Serbia
    6 	IRL 	Ireland

According to the website it's 4. Her race is off at 16:15 our time.

Link to results. Event #66

Hope so. I initially thought four but reading the World Rowing preview they said 3 http://www.worldrowing.com/news/final-opportunity-for-spots-in-the-london-olympics
    The women’s single sculls has attracted entries from 17 countries and three qualification spots are available

Paul McDermott of the ISC also tweeted it was 3 but he's not in Lucerne.

Hope so. I initially thought four but reading the World Rowing preview they said 3 http://www.worldrowing.com/news/final-opportunity-for-spots-in-the-london-olympics

Paul McDermott of the ISC also tweeted it was 3 but he's not in Lucerne.

Yes there has been conflicting news regarding the number...several times I've read that it's 4 but also read a couple of times that it's just the 3. Heck I even read 1 article saying it was only 2 but I think we can dismiss that report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

According to the official document PDF file here, it's definitely four. It was updated from 3 on the 18th of May, hence the confusion.

Looking at times and placings from heats and semis, it's going to be a very tough task for Sanita.

She was 6th fastest in heats, 5th fastest in semis.

Heats won by Denmark, Australia and Serbia. They're also 3 fastest in semis (Denmark and Australia won).

Serbia has finished 8 and 4 seconds ahead of Sanita in both races so far.

So barring mistakes, it looks like those 3 have the top 3 spots sown up.

Sanita would then be in a race with Estonia and USA for that 4th spot. Unfortunately they're in Lanes 1 and 2 and will be racing each other.

Fingers crossed for her

Pherekydes wrote: »
    According to the official document PDF file here, it's definitely four. It was updated from 3 on the 18th of May, hence the confusion.

Good man, that's positive that there's 4 quota places up for grabs but as Dodge says it will be very tough for Sanita. She's got a chance all the same so we might be celebrating another qualifier this afternoon. Best of luck to her.

SANITA GETS 4TH!!!

Excellent performance by Sanita Puspure to claim an Olympic quota place. Ireland now has 53 on the team.

She was 4th at half way stage, then 5th with 500 to go.

Ended up getting 4th with 4 seconds to spare with the Serbian girl missing out.

Outstanding stuff from a girl who couldn't compete internationally for the past few years

And she finished well ahead of the Serbian girl who was well ahead of her in the qualfication rounds, really good race there by Sanita, she pulled it out of the bag on the day.

The team is almost certainly going to exceed 60 now, more likely to be upwards of 65 or more!

Well 53 so far.

Likely qualifiers
    Gavin Noble (Triathlon)
    natalya Coyle (Mod Pent)
    David Gillick (athletics)
    Jason Smyth (Athletics)

If we get a swimming and/or athletics relay team we're going to surpass 60 easily.

Others that are still in with chance are Arthur Lanigan-O'Keeffe in the Modern pentathlon, Jessie Barr and Ciara Mageen in Athletics (and others too but thse are very close). We all hope Joe Ward gets the invite at light heavy in the boxing and Caroline Ryan is still hoping to get a wildcard into the women's cycling too

EDIT; thats not including the athletes we've talked about in the last couple of days
    ---

You might have the stats to hand dan, but this must be by far our biggest women's team.

I make it 21 women so far (with the Equestrain riders unknown)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭james1992

How did Mcmahon do in the European Final ?

• Advertisement

james1992 wrote: »
    How did Mcmahon do in the European Final ?

Next race up

McMahon fifth in European final. Didn't lower her own record

She's by far the youngest of the finalists

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FitzjamesHorse

Its great news and I think seeing the diversity in the Irish team is a great thing in itself.
    I know that Ciara Mageean had a close family bereavement recently and it may affect her.
    But it would be a great thing for the small town of Portaferry on the Ards Peninsula in County Down if she became the second young woman from the town to make the team.

Might get time to go through the stats later but apart from Athens, I think this might be our biggest ever haul of individuals. No rowing 4s, relay teams, equestrian teams*. In the past we've had cycling time trial teams too. Only the 3 sailing pairs, otherwise all individuals

*in 3 day eventing, if you qualify 3 or more individuals they can also enter as a team, but they can't enter any more riders/horses to amke up the usual 5 rider team

[Quote=Dodge;........ apart from Athens, ..... our biggest ever haul of individuals. ........No teams
    Pity about men's hockey. A member rightly pointed out that they wouldn't have medalled anyway, but it would have been good for our self-esteem to qualify a team of ball-players in a court or field game. It's happened only three times: Soccer in 1924 and 1948 and Basketball in 1948. Maybe next time!
    In any event, from here out Joe Ward is the most crucial. Let's keep fingers crossed!

Well 53 so far.

Likely qualifiers
    Gavin Noble (Triathlon)
    natalya Coyle (Mod Pent)
    David Gillick (athletics)
    Jason Smyth (Athletics)

If we get a swimming and/or athletics relay team we're going to surpass 60 easily.

Others that are still in with chance are Arthur Lanigan-O'Keeffe in the Modern pentathlon, Jessie Barr and Ciara Mageen in Athletics (and others too but thse are very close). We all hope Joe Ward gets the invite at light heavy in the boxing and Caroline Ryan is still hoping to get a wildcard into the women's cycling too

EDIT; thats not including the athletes we've talked about in the last couple of days
    ---

You might have the stats to hand dan, but this must be by far our biggest women's team.

I make it 21 women so far (with the Equestrain riders unknown)

We've got 20 women on the team so far, the record was set in Sydney 2000 where we had 24 in the squad. That's definitely going to be surpassed when you add the relay team that looks good (women's 4x400m).

We have plenty of other chances that are waiting on quota places after re-distribution of unused places. Scott Evans in badminton is in with a good chance and we are almost certainly going to increase our equestrian tally by 3 (2 more eventers and Anna Merveldt in dressage).

Don't forget Natalya Coyle in the modern pentathlon, she is currently inside the qualifying positions with just this weekend's World Cup Final in Chengdu to go.
    Chris Bryan in the open water swimming too has a good chance of qualification.

Positive:
    I have so much good news to update to my lists and tables from the last few days. More Irish athletes are joining the team with each passing day and qualifying times and marks are coming through fast. :)

Negative:
    I have so much stats to update and I refuse to use my iPhone to do so...too frustrating. My laptop obviously is anti-Irish qualifiers...decides to pack up just as things are getting interesting! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FitzjamesHorse

[Quote=Dodge;........ apart from Athens, ..... our biggest ever haul of individuals. ........No teams
    Pity about men's hockey. A member rightly pointed out that they wouldn't have medalled anyway, but it would have been good for our self-esteem to qualify a team of ball-players in a court or field game. It's happened only three times: Soccer in 1924 and 1948 and Basketball in 1948. Maybe next time!
    In any event, from here out Joe Ward is the most crucial. Let's keep fingers crossed!

As regards "ball players". Clearly its not played on a pitch or court but wasnt there an Irish Water Polo team in an Olympics in the 1920s?

As regards "ball players". Clearly its not played on a pitch or court but wasnt there an Irish Water Polo team in an Olympics in the 1920s?

Correct, a men's water polo team in both 1924 and 1928 in fact.

• Advertisement

Important morning for the swimmers. Womens 4x200m heats scheduled for 9.57. Ireland team is Sycerika, Melanie, Nuala Murphy and Bethany carson

12 teams have already qualified;
    United States
    Australia
    China
    France
    Hungary
    Great Britain
    Canada
    New Zealand
    Japan
    Russia
    Germany
    Sweden

So for them to qualify they have to have one of the next 4 best times. They'll get 2 great opportunities now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement