Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FAQ: Analogue, DTT, Aerials

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

astrofluff wrote: »
    1. What's the difference between DVB-T1, Saorview & DVB-T2 and where does MHEG5 feature in all of these?

2. And more precisely, what spec is Freeview , Saorview and Freeview HD using?

3. Does Freeview have MHEG5 for their teletext? If not, does Freeview HD?

1. DVB-T & T2 are digital terrestrial television transmission standards used by broadcasters throughout much of the world. T2 is the newer standard that allows more data to be carried over the older T1 standard - not used in Ireland, used in the UK for its Freeview HD channels.

Saorview is the name given to Irish digital terrestrial television (DTT) service which uses the DVB-T transmission standard with MPEG-4 L4.0 video compression and MHEG-5 for interactive services.

MHEG-5 is bolt on piece of software, to the above standards, that allows interactive services and data, such as digital teletext, to be displayed on your TV. Only Ireland and the UK use this standard, other European countries use MHP or are considering the new HbbTV standard.

2. Saorview = DVB-T/MPEG-4 video compression/MHEG-5
    Freeview = DVB-T/MPEG-2 video compression/MHEG-5
    FreeviewHD = DVB-T2/MPEG-4 video compression/MHEG-5

3. Saorview, Freeview and FreeviewHD all mandate MHEG-5 for DTT teletext. Saorview for the moment also carries the traditional EBU teletext we're familiar with from the analogue channels on some of its digital channels (RTÉ/TV3/TG4), this will be switched off in due course. Freeview/FreeviewHD never used the old teletext standard on its digital channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Brilliant and clear information, thanks The Cush - good to know this when looking at getting some equipment. :)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Is there a way to test the signal if you wanted to locate an aerial in the attic instead of the roof?

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Is there a way to test the signal if you wanted to locate an aerial in the attic instead of the roof?

Either a terrestrial signal meter or bring a Saorview TV to the attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Shouting down to someone at the TV?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Andy Poor Staircase

Whats the best type of aerial to get?

I'm looking at putting it in the attic. There may be some problem with trees on the road but i wont know till i try.
    I'm in Cabra.
    Are there any cheap singnal finders on the market?

thanks in advance

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try an old portable TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Andy Poor Staircase

try an old portable TV

A signal finder is a bit easier that hiking a tv into the attic.:D

Any ideas on a good aerial guys ????

Is the Aldi one any good ??? http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_22582.htm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A signal finder is a bit easier that hiking a tv into the attic.:D
    Only if you have one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 durecks

help no saorview in ashford according to the saorview website, can anyone tell are planning a transmitter or will i have to get a saorsat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

There's some patchy coverage in the area, did you drag the marker on the map to your exact location?

Might be worth a try with an aerial anyway but I'd wait until after switchover when the Mt. Leinster transmitter should be in its final configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

durecks wrote: »
    help no saorview in ashford according to the saorview website, can anyone tell are planning a transmitter or will i have to get a saorsat?

Do you get analogue TV there at the moment?

There's an analogue relay for Ashford (presume we're talking Wicklow here?), durecks would have to be specific about the UHF/VHF channels received. Suppose if they get TV3 it's a good sign, a lone vertically polarised UHF aerial would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 durecks

There's an analogue relay for Ashford (presume we're talking Wicklow here?), durecks would have to be specific about the UHF/VHF channels received. Suppose if they get TV3 it's a good sign, a lone vertically polarised UHF aerial would not.

rte1 rte 2 tg4 thats it tv3 never even seen it

That's almost certainly the local relay then with RTE 1,2 & TG4 on UHF channels 22, 25 & 32 respectively.

Do you have an outdoor aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Apologies if this is in the wrong section or if it has already been answered. I have 2 main tvs in the house, both pick up Saorview channels and radio no problem. Both also pick up BBC 1+2, UTV and channel 4. In October will both of my tvs lose these channels or is there anything that can be done to recieve them without going down the Sky route? Will the tv tuner be able to pick up the channels still. I live in Drogheda so close to the border if that helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

The fact that your tvs have no problems with Saorview means they will also be able to handle the Freeview (UK digital terrestrial) standard def. channels at least, probably HD too (depends on model).

The main transmitters in the North will start full power digital transmissions on October 10 & the relays (such as Kilkeel) will start transmitting Freeview for the first time, so you can try tuning the channels then & see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Friend moving to Dundalk - is there a box that will give u free view and saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm looking for a box that has saorview and uk channels with the + recording function so that you can watch one channel and record another at the same time

does any exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Instaled aerial in attic, everything working fine, but every now and then no signal or strength.

I think the problem maybe the cable used (I may buy new cable).

Or perhaps it is the route of the cable

3 TV, cable comes from attic, splits to go to 2 upstairs TVs, upstairs front room TV then split again for living room TV.

Is there anything I can do to maintained signal strength and quality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Elmo wrote: »
    Instaled aerial in attic, everything working fine, but every now and then no signal or strength.

An outdoor aerial mounted higher than all nearby house roofs will almost definitely give a stronger signal. However if the cable currently used is old, dodgy etc this will not help.

Ideally you would measure the current signal using professional equipment and determine what the fault is.

If money is not a problem get a professional install. If money is an issue, then make sure all connections are OK and the cable is half decent. Remove all splitters and see if it is OK on one TV only. Also make sure your aerial is pointing the right way according to:

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

I would do all the above before trying any boosters or such like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Reception Query

A friend lives next to Shannon Town centre in ground floor apt. They have a portable tv and the aerial that is attached to it gives poor nearly non existent reception. Is it likely that buying a separate indoor aerial, rabbits ears were mentioned, would give better reception?

Any opinions appreciated thanks

Widescreen wrote: »
    A friend lives next to Shannon Town centre in ground floor apt. They have a portable tv and the aerial that is attached to it gives poor nearly non existent reception. Is it likely that buying a separate indoor aerial, rabbits ears were mentioned, would give better reception?

Not necessarily, it will depend on signal strength/quality where the aerial is located.

He could buy a cheap indoor aerial in a €2 shop and try it out in different areas of the room but the existing indoor is a good indicator of signal strength/quality at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Do you mean reception of Saorview or analogue channels? If you mean Saorview, the recommended transmitter (Maghera) uses UHF channel 48, so make sure you're tuned to that.

Analogue will be gone in just over a month, so no point worrying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Widescreen wrote: »
    Reception Query

Any opinions appreciated thanks

I would recommend trying a saorview box. Does the existing TV have a little flylead between the aerial and the TV to allow it to be plugged in and out? It might be possible to hook the Saorview box to this although you might be better with a cheap idoor aerial.

I would recommend hanging the indoor aerial out the window during scanning to see if you get anything, then you can try indoor positions afterwards.

If you could get a loan of a box or compatable TV it might help with testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Elmo wrote: »

I think the problem maybe the cable used (I may buy new cable).

Or perhaps it is the route of the cable

3 TV, cable comes from attic, splits to go to 2 upstairs TVs, upstairs front room TV then split again for living room TV.

Is there anything I can do to maintained signal strength and quality?
    Instal a 3 or 4 way UHF booster. That will prevent reception issues if 2 or moreTVs are tuned to same analog channel our digital channels sharing the same Mux.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    ... That will prevent reception issues if 2 or moreTVs are tuned to same analog channel our digital channels sharing the same Mux.

Do what now? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

zg3409 wrote: »
    An outdoor aerial mounted higher than all nearby house roofs will almost definitely give a stronger signal. However if the cable currently used is old, dodgy etc this will not help.

Ideally you would measure the current signal using professional equipment and determine what the fault is.

If money is not a problem get a professional install. If money is an issue, then make sure all connections are OK and the cable is half decent. Remove all splitters and see if it is OK on one TV only. Also make sure your aerial is pointing the right way according to:

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

I would do all the above before trying any boosters or such like.

:o Cable disconnected at one point :o

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭penelope2012

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    The fact that your tvs have no problems with Saorview means they will also be able to handle the Freeview (UK digital terrestrial) standard def. channels at least, probably HD too (depends on model).

The main transmitters in the North will start full power digital transmissions on October 10 & the relays (such as Kilkeel) will start transmitting Freeview for the first time, so you can try tuning the channels then & see how it goes.
    Thanks Peter for the info about October 10th, I have set a reminder in my phone!! I recently invested in two new tv's, both were needed as
    I couldnt justify set top boxes for old tv's. I was delighted to see they both are picking up saorview perfectly so I now have new channels and don't have to spend money I don't have on a new aerial. The one I have is a small box like thing on the roof used for picking up the beam signal. It is nothing like the aerials in the saorview literature. The saorview tvs still get regular uk channels with this they are not great but are watchable. I am hoping I can pick up something a bit better when freeview launches. I don't hold out great hope as I am in Roscommon but my house is on a height.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Advertisement