Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NEST Thermostat to replace push pin clock dial ??

• 26-07-2015 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting the nest thermostat, at the moment i just have a push pin type clock dial on the wall to turn the heating on and off connected to a normal oil boiler outside, simple system. nothing to detect air temp inside the house.
    Will the nest work? , do i replace the push pin dial with the nest heat link and place the nest thermostat anywhere in the house? just want to check it out before any purchase :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

Did you get one installed. Just bought one and have the same set up.

How much did it cost

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

i got it when i changed electricity provider to electric ireland - the installation was 'free'. it was a offer but in reality you pay for with slightly higher electricity charges. Find it very good and works really well, it was installed very quickly. great little system and works well with nest protect

• Registered Users Posts: 8 charlestown

So did it replace your clock pin dial?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

yep, it was very simple - the heat link ( the white box with the nest logo on it ) replaced the push pin dial. the thermostat which has the display can just plugged into any wall socket for power and placed anywhere in the house,it comminicates over wifi & works very well, no issues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

Got the nest installed as well. i don't use the push pin dial anymore and the heating is just set to always on instead of timed. The push pin dial is still there but it's functionality is over ridden by the nest thermostat. It's a great system and it has learned my routine quickly. Love that just as I'm feeling cold the heating has been turned on 20 minutes before hand and the house is heating up. Got two nest protects as well. Love that you can silence them at the push of a button unlike my old ones where you had to take the batteries out for a week or they continued to beep incessantly

• Advertisement
Advertisement