Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drifting

• 20-11-2007 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

does anybody follow drifting here in ireland or japan if so what is there favourite drift cars

UP GARAGE spec AE86
    0559-1.jpg

FLAT ERICS AE86 from prodrift irl

0277.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Scober11

Jasus, about a year ago on here somebody mentioned Drifting and if my memory serves me right it turned into a slagging match!

Can't get to grips with it myself but i hear that when its on in mondello it gets big crowds, which general motorsport days don't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

you can basicly drift any rear wheel drive car, some 4 wheel drive but preferably 2.
    As for fav cars, jap cars are defo perfered. nissan 200 sx and twin cams seem to be popular. you will find out everything you need to know here: http://www.prodriftirl.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

I didnt think driftin was considered a motor sport? As it is based on a judges opinion?
    Its still great to watch the lads giving it socks in rosegreen though:D

Claasman wrote: »
    I didnt think driftin was considered a motor sport? As it is based on a judges opinion?
    Its still great to watch the lads giving it socks in rosegreen though:D

Fastest growing motorsport at the current time and cant see it changing for quite a while, its cheap(as far as motorsport goes) and its not too hard on the cars as you dont need to rev the crap out of the cars, lift the handbreak to induce a slide and steer from the rear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

This is the motorsport forum not the boys having a laugh forum. ;)

• Advertisement

Babybing wrote: »
    This is the motorsport forum not the boys having a laugh forum. ;)

And u have somthin to add to THE MOTOTSPORT/DRIFTING thread???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

And u have somthin to add to THE MOTOTSPORT/DRIFTING thread???

Yes my opinion that drifitng is not a real motorsport its just a bunch of boys having a laugh in Japanese cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Yes my opinion that drifitng is not a real motorsport its just a bunch of boys having a laugh in Japanese cars.

I'd have to agree with this. Same as you wouldn't consider juggling a soccer ball as a sport. That's not to say it's not fun to watch or do, often more fun that playing regular soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

+1
    I have no problems with drifting - I'd encourage it as a way to allow young lads to blow off some steam in a safe environment. It certainly looks fun. But when it's refered to as a 'sport' it just makes me want to spit out my cornflakes.

It's a high octane version of 'Strictly Come Dancing' - automotive posers throwing a few shapes and relying on the subjective opinion of a panel of **** to 'judge' their performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

pburns wrote: »
    +1
    It's a high octane version of 'Strictly Come Dancing' - automotive posers throwing a few shapes and relying on the subjective opinion of a panel of **** to 'judge' their performance.

heh heh:D

Spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Look how far drifting has come, probably the biggest crowds for a 4 wheeled event in mondello?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

This is true, but also just because a sport is judged doesn't mean it's not a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Drifting has come a very long way in a very short amount of time. Gone are the days of guys arriving in their street cars, doing some half-skids and going home again. Instead, you have packed grids, a huge international following and at the sharp end; 800HP cars with sequentials, quick change rear ends and chassis preparation that's on par with any other top motorsport.

The judging element will never appeal to some and that's fair enough. I would personally like to see decisions based more around non-subjective information and it's something I've wrote about and spoke to organisers about before. It's a series that's constantly learning and evolving and it is impressive to watch and it's certainly not as easy at it looks.

There's a big event in Mondello this weekend which sees the course run backwards from the final hairpin towards SEAT corner. It'll be available live online to watch and I think it might even impress even the most stubborn anti-drift people out there.

Still, it has a long way to go.

Advertisement