Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm so mad I'm going to sit here and do nothing!

• 24-09-2010 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

What would it take to get you to get up out of your nice comfy seat and try and do something to make a change? We all bitch and moan (look I’m doing it now ;)) but what would it take to get you to physical get up and out and try to make a change?

Have you ever attended a protest march, demonstration or rally? If so what was it that made you feel like you had to get up and join in that doing noting about whatever it was just wasn’t enough anymore.

If you have been to a protest march or demonstration or whatever did you feel like you accomplished anything by taking part? That you made a difference?

The thing that has possible stopped me ever attending these kinds of events is the fact that I always think the people in charge will just go:

“Oh look at that some people don’t like what we are doing. Oh well F*uck them nothing they can do about it anyway.”

Or that hardly anyone will bother their arse to turn up for it.

We live in a democracy so is simply voting enough these days? Do we need to protest and march and wave signs about saying down with this sort of thing? And If we do need to protest more are enough or the right type of people getting out and doing it?

I have a lot of respect for people who organise these kind of things particularly because I think people these days (myself included unfortunately) are so apathetic and disinterested in what’s going on that we would be willing to just watch as the world crumbled around us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

meh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bring guns...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ Lilly Weak Rivalry

Mary Harney. An obese health minister. Disgraceful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

tl;dr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

you mean, Irish?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Ahh Idealism - propperty of youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Mary Harney. An obese health minister. Disgraceful!

Does the Minister for Arts, Sports and Tourism need to be an painter, footballer and a tourist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Does the Minister for Arts, Sports and Tourism need to be an painter, footballer and a tourist?

No just just not the size of a small bungalo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i cant stand any of these numptys as their leader Always becomes a TD, get voted into dail and ten just laps up the moneyz

Stop protest marches solve nothing unless their on an EPIC scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Pdfile wrote: »
    i cant stand any of these numptys as their leader Always becomes a TD, get voted into dail and ten just laps up the moneyz

Stop protest marches solve nothing unless their on an EPIC scale.

Now do they get to be on an EPIC scale if everone dosent go because they dont think its going to be on an EPIC scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

What would it take? A cause which was sensible. I'm not going to just blindly follow any protest for "change", I'm certainly not going to follow a protest calling for more government spending/interference and asking for us to be pushed into default. I may well not vote next time around either, a FG/Lab coalition would probably make less cuts than the current lot so it's a no-win situation to me.
    I'm just hoping I get my degree and get the **** out of here before the country defaults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I'm too lazy to do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

tomorrow is dole day i am doin nothing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Personally:
    1. I don't like most of the people organising the protests.

2. I don't like legitimising the rent-a-crowd who always turn up at these protests.

3. I can't lie to myself that the opposition would be better - as long as Lenihan is in there, I think they would possibly be worse.

4. I can't look at the 'solutions' offered by the protestors without feeling the overwhelming urge to write acre-long articles about why they are:
    4(a). Ill-concieved.
    4(b). Based on faulty logic/economics.
    4(c). Thinly disguised rttempts by vested interests to protect themselves, or
    4(d). Generally really, really stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I was at a protest once. It had something to do with WIT or students. I dunno, I only went because everyone else was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Most Irish people complain about things but will look for any lame excuse not to protest and will proceed to complain about those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I was the first person in the Republic to be hit with a water cannon in anger. Hurt like hell and still can't bend my leg as much as i could before that :( still page 3 of the sunday world and front page of the independant :) swings and roundabouts i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Way I see it.

Moan moan moan some more.

Get out and show face at a demonstration.

This does nothing to change what the rabble was about in the first place. Or if it does do something, it sure as hell reverts within six to eight months so we the general populace don't see it. (Cos at the end of the day a gradual change will not be noticed. Tweak this, change that, raise the other).

And you can go home smug. Safe in the knowledge that you've "stuck it to the man". Which, again, ultimately does nothing.

Live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

There seems to be general sentiment around boards lately that Irish people are too lazy to get up and do anything. We haven't been pushed far enough yet.
    Once people's welfare or public sector wages are cut (to the degree that they need to be to balance the budget) they'll have no problem getting up and causing a fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Saila wrote: »
    Ahh Idealism - propperty of youth.

For a minute there my heart stopped. I thought you'd written AH Idealism. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

FF will get back in to further fvck things up. Protests won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Been to my fair share of protests/demos over the years, lately mainly health service related. The thing is, these days I find they are only token demos really. My first principled stand was back in 1987, I was in third year. I think there was a planned teachers strike which would have messed up leaving cert/ inter cert exams.

During morning break all the leaving certs and inter cert students planned to walk out from the first class after break. We would then head down town for a protest march. I went back to geography class, five later minutes I get up and walk out and no one joins me. It turns out only 5 out of 150 third year students walked out. The protest ended at lunch time and we went back to class. The geography teacher ending up defending me and saved me from suspension.

It's been much the same ever since, people talking the talk and not walking the walk.

I remember heading to a protest, as a student, against the re-introduction of college fees.

To be honest, I only went because of the massive session a few of us had planned in Dublin city centre afterwards. Few drinks as we walked into town, shout a bit, laugh, drink, shout, laugh, drink...half-way into town most of us all forgot what it was we were all walking into town for...good craic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

danniemcq wrote: »
    I was the first person in the Republic to be hit with a water cannon in anger. Hurt like hell and still can't bend my leg as much as i could before that :( still page 3 of the sunday world and front page of the independant :) swings and roundabouts i guess
    Curragh camp in the late '50's?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

99% of people are happy to be told what to do, when to do it, they might bitch about it but haven't the balls to do anything about it.
    They'll wait for someone else to step forward before following them like the sheep they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

chin_grin wrote: »
    Way I see it.

Moan moan moan some more.

Get out and show face at a demonstration.

This does nothing to change what the rabble was about in the first place. Or if it does do something, it sure as hell reverts within six to eight months so we the general populace don't see it. (Cos at the end of the day a gradual change will not be noticed. Tweak this, change that, raise the other).

And you can go home smug. Safe in the knowledge that you've "stuck it to the man". Which, again, ultimately does nothing.

Live with it.

Ah excuses excuses excuses, Irish will do anything to avoid getting off their asses. With regards to the above post and the likes, what about the epic protest the elderly put on? That sure as hell changed things for the better for them. Honestly it's got to the stage were I think we deserve to be treated like mindless serfs because that's how we behave. I don't know why I say we though, I do protest and vote. Oh how I would love to emmigrate to somewhere people still have some passion, like France maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    There seems to be general sentiment around boards lately that Irish people are too lazy to get up and do anything. We haven't been pushed far enough yet.
    Once people's welfare or public sector wages are cut (to the degree that they need to be to balance the budget) they'll have no problem getting up and causing a fuss.

Oh sweet jesus, what planet are you living on?

Advertisement