Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Get up stand up.

Options
  • 23-10-2009 7:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

I just got a letter from these guys, put very simply, they want to rally against the government and get them to change their priorities.

While it seems the government are doing nothing to tackle the jobs crisis, do you think a rally will help? What exactly can congress do about it?

I would love to see a plan drawn up to help save current jobs and help create future jobs. I am thinking more and more of joining this rally, but is there much point?

Who are these people exactly and how do we know they have us in their best interests?

They want to make the wealthy pay their share, but will this drive people out of Ireland? Taking with them their much needed cash.

What do you think of the whole thing? We have moaned and whined about doing something, and how we let the government walk all over us, now this group wants to organise something, will you support them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

which guys? what congress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

pierrot wrote: »

You tell me, I haven't the foggiest :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

They're Jamaican revolutionaries, apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's not this guy is it?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I just got a letter from these guys, put very simply, they want to rally against the government and get them to change their priorities.

i've raised it with the 3 goverment TD's in my area, but apparently getting free Lapdances from linsey lohan (back when she was hot, not a coke fiend) is not a Priority.

Yet another reason not to vote FF or Green*

Yeah, like you needed one before....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i've raised it with the 3 goverment TD's in my area, but apparently getting free Lapdances from linsey lohan (back when she was hot, not a coke fiend) is not a Priority.

Yet another reason not to vote FF or Green*

Yeah, like you needed one before....

Best single reason to vote FF.

Enda Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Maybe Galway hasn't been liberated from Indians yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Bin it. Just another bunch of wailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I also got that letter,

Congress nonsense.pdf

What a pile of Dung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

pierrot wrote: »

wh-wh-what congress? Where am I? Who took my false teeth? Where is my brain medicine?

Do we really want old man Pierrot here with his finger on the button?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Ahh, ICTU. Scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Stee wrote: »
    wh-wh-what congress? Where am I? Who took my false teeth? Where is my brain medicine?

Do we really want old man Pierrot here with his finger on the button?

By all means vote for this sleazy lunatic...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

i dont think racing souped up cars around country lanes is going to help the country get back on its feet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

More and more of the same old I'm afraid. Listening to Radio 1 this morning, they discussed the salaries of our Union leaders - they ranged for €70,000 per annum to over €170,000 per annum. I was surprised to hear that in many of the public setor unions, the pay of the leaders are linked to the pay of certain grades within the civil service, if these grades drop, so do the union heads.

Compare our situation over all with that of Germany :

Group of rich Germans call for wealth tax

Agence France-Presse
    October 23, 2009 01:35am
    [A GROUP of rich Germans have launched a petition to call for a wealth tax to help the country bounce back from an economic crisis, because, as one said, he had "a lot of money I do not need".

The text, posted on the internet at www.appel-vermoegensabgabe.de, has been signed by 44 people who want to convince the government of newly re-elected Chancellor Angela Merkel to raise their taxes.

None of the names are those of Germany's richest families.

But for retired doctor Dieter Kelmkuhl, 66, it is time the wealthy came to the aid of their country.

He reckons that if the 2.2 million Germans who have personal fortunes of more than €500,000 ($808,734) paid a tax of five per cent this year and next, it would provide the state with €100 billion ($161.75 billion).

Mr Kelmkuhl got the idea when Berlin stumped up billions of euros to save banks and give the recession-hit economy a boost, as the gulf between rich and poor grows wider in Europe's biggest economy.

"It made me mad to think that we suddenly found all this money for the banks, money that we did not have before for urgent programs like education and the environment," the left of centre weekly Die Zeit quoted him as saying.

The former doctor would like Germany to have its own version of the US group United for a Fair Economy (UFA), which includes around 700 wealthy US residents, according to the left-of-centre daily Tagesspiegel.

His plan would set a 5 per cent tax for two years to fund specific projects followed by a reduction to one per cent, the level of the tax when it was abandoned in 1997. Germany still slaps a 25 per cent levy on capital gains.

One signer, 69-year-old Peter Vollmer, said he backed the petition because he had inherited "a lot of money I do not need".

Since her September 27 election victory, Mrs Merkel and her Christian Democrats (CDU/CSU) have been locked in talks hammering out a common program with their new partners, the Free Democrats (FDP).

The FDP promised €35 billion ($56.61 billion) in tax cuts in its election campaign, but with Germany's public finances shot to bits by the recession, Mrs Merkel's party is wary of agreeing to such reductions.

On Wednesday, Mr Lehmkuhl, Mr Vollmer and a few friends held a rally in the Tiergarten in central Berlin, throwing fake banknotes into the air for photographers in what they called a bid to provoke discussion of the idea.

"It's really strange that so few people came," Mr Vollmer said.
    We have no real sense of social responsibility in this country though this is a lot to do with the fact that our politicians have done little to earn trust or respect.

Advertisement