Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do people queue at the airport.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

j1smithy wrote: »
    Its incredibly dim to be flying on your own and sit in the middle of the plane, unless of course you like waiting.

On Aer Lingus, BA etc they have proper Emergency Exits towards the middle, the extra space is handy if you're tall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

well I can't sleep standing up..........

take it on the plane then

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭LOTTOWINNER

These are my thoughts exactly. I rarely queue as don't see a point...wait...there is no point. Stoopid peoples.

I also hate this lame clapping nonsense people have started doing on Irish flights when the plane lands...I can appreciate in some countries clapping was something because they were genuinely relieve the plane landed safely, but a flight to Luton??? Hen and stag parties seem especially partial to clapping on landing.

I'd love if people came into my office and applauded me for my job, I work hard enough!!

*Actually no, it's be kinda lame, but still..

+1

If the pilot lands the plane safely with 3 of the 4 engines on fire!! I'll fcuking clap then alright!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

orourkeda wrote: »
    take it on the plane then
    Why? sure I'd be nearly where I'm going before anything would kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

TheZohan wrote: »
    On Aer Lingus, BA etc they have proper Emergency Exits towards the middle, the extra space is handy if you're tall.

I think you'll find that even the budget airlines have large Emergency Exit Rows - its like the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

OP here.
    I wouldn't like to call them idiots because the vast majority of people seem to do it. But I do think it is a silly thing to do.

However it seems the joke was on me. When I got on the plane my seat was taken. I pointed this out to the lady who was in my seat and recieved what I presume was a torrent of abuse in Hungarian followed by "you sit there, what problem?".
    Much as I like babys I don't want to sit between one on it's mothers lap and a rather rotund man, so I asked again for my seat.
    I did get it but ended up spending two hours with the womans husband elbowing me and saying things under his breath. Great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I also hate this lame clapping nonsense people have started doing on Irish flights when the plane lands...I can appreciate in some countries clapping was something because they were genuinely relieve the plane landed safely, but a flight to Luton??? Hen and stag parties seem especially partial to clapping on landing.

*Actually no, it's be kinda lame, but still..

theyre probably pissed in fairness, when i was drunk on a flight i started dancing (well trying to) with the airhostess....i wish i had kept it to a bit of clapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I do enjoy sitting at the bar at Stansted supping beer and watching all the muppets queue up before the plane has even arrived.

Several times I have got on BMI flights and have had to ask someone to move because they are in my seat, a surprising number of people don't realise proper airlines have allocated seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Why do people clap when the plane lands!?
    God I hate those moronic people.THE PILOT IS DOING HIS FCUKING JOB FFS!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I do it cos I like to be on the plane before it fills up and I have to squeeze past those putting their bags in the overhead compartment, and climb over the people I'm beside if they're seated before me.

Makes sense to me.

I could just wait til the end but then I'm impatient.

Anyways I nearly always fly with ryanair, so have to rush to get a seat anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ditto.

I'm going to clap if the pilot lands the plane after it's been stuck by lightning or if someone on the plane had a bomb and was overpowered by the co-pilot. Otherwise it just comes across as silly to the non-silly.
    If the pilot lands the plane safely with 3 of the 4 engines on fire!! I'll fcuking clap then alright!!!!
    This also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I queue just so I can get one of the seats at the very front of the plane with loads of leg room.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That's cute. But also irrelevant to anything.

Haaaaaaaaaave you met netwhizkid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

People are just sheep, one person goes to stand up and everyone else follows, even thought there's no boarding announcement or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Because they are sheeple.

I sit on me hoop till the last possible second and boards last with no queing and enter the plane using the rear staircase so I dont have to queue to get on, I am first off and I am right beside the bog.

I will die first if the plane crashes, which suits me fine as I dont want to be alive watching my limbs floating around me in the sea like the sheeple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Get in last and there will be no overhead cabinet space.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    People are just sheep

Baaaa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Same on the train. On the Cork-Dublin one, people stand up and queue for the doors from around Kildare onwards.

It doesn't bother me, but it does amuse/bemuse me a wee bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭mandysmithers

Dudess wrote: »
    Same on the train. On the Cork-Dublin one, people stand up and queue for the doors from around Kildare onwards.

It doesn't bother me, but it does amuse/bemuse me a wee bit.

Like, they queue to get off the train?

I sit on me hoop till the last possible second and boards last with no queing and enter the plane using the rear staircase so I dont have to queue to get on, I am first off and I am right beside the bog.

I will die first if the plane crashes, which suits me fine as I dont want to be alive watching my limbs floating around me in the sea like the sheeple.

I'd hate to be beside the toilet, what about the smell? Why would you die first?

I've heard a lot of people complaining about this recently, and the only time I've heard people clapping when a plane lands is after a pretty rough landing, so I don't know what you're all on about!

I'd say Hen & Stag parties are half-pissed when they land, so that's why they clap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

CodeMonkey wrote: »

There always will. In years of regular flying, even on Ryanair buckets that has never never happened and I always enter the plane last. The stewards/stewardesses have to stow everything so its not up to passengers to worry about that. Its the airlines problem.

I'd hate to be beside the toilet, what about the smell? Why would you die first?

Sure the whole plane is nothing but a tube filled with farts. The stench on the plane of methane seeping from sheeples asses is bad, makes no difference sitting by the jacks. People at the back die first in a crash apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

CodeMonkey wrote: »

From personal experience, I always wait till the very end and Ive always found that there is space - you might need to do a little re-arranging but my bag always wedges in there.

But the more interesting question is why, on arrival, when the cap'n switches off the s-belty sign, does everyone jump to their feet, get their bags and then stand for the inevitable wait for the door to open. Particularly on trans-atlantics (where 90% + people have checed luggage) its crazy as there is no way your bags will be out before you so whats the bleedin' rush

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

There always will be overhead space.
    drkpower wrote: »
    From personal experience, I always wait till the very end and Ive always found that there is space - you might need to do a little re-arranging but my bag always wedges in there.

The last 3 or 4 flights I've been on there hasn't been enough overhead space - once there was a few empty seats and the bags were piled on that and strapped in but another few times some people have ended up with their cabin bags having to be placed in the hold (no extra cost but obviously an extra hassle at the destination).

Regardless its not just getting overhead space thats important, getting it close to you is important as well as it makes a quick exit from the plane easier.

Finally I tend to queue earlier to get on (even with assigned seats) as I find it makes it easier to get into snoozeville if you've been comfortable in your seat for 30 minutes before takeoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

with ryanair i like to get on early so i can get the emergency exit seats with the added legroom

with flights that have assiged seating i like to get on early so that i can go to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

to add to the rants about people and seatbelts - people and their feckin mobiles. are you really SO important and your messages will be THAT urgent that you cant wait the extra 5 mins to get into the terminal building to turn on your phone? even if something IS urgent, turning your phone on is not gonna get you off the plane to deal with it any faster. as soon as the plane hits the runway the phones are out. wrecks my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

sar84 wrote: »
    to add to the rants about people and seatbelts - people and their feckin mobiles. are you really SO important and your messages will be THAT urgent that you cant wait the extra 5 mins to get into the terminal building to turn on your phone? even if something IS urgent, turning your phone on is not gonna get you off the plane to deal with it any faster. as soon as the plane hits the runway the phones are out. wrecks my head.

No, but the earlier i phone a cab to pick me up, the less time I have to wait in the rain for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

After flying with Ryanair recently, I find I def prefer to wait till the end, get a seat near the back. If no space for cabin baggagae, I'll wedge it in at my feet. Then at the destination, yes, I am one of those to get out of the seat immediately. Means I'm one of first off plane, I'm not arsing about looking for luggage, and can walk at my wn pace through the airport without stopping. And I walk fast, so within 15mins of landing(prob less) I'm outta there. And is normally a bus leaving within 10 mins of getting outside, so win win.

Advertisement