Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Shogun vs Vera is now the main event.
    I think this is gonna be a bad night for Brandon Vera.

Hector Lombard isn't in the main event of UFC on Fox 4 any more. When Brian Stann went down with an injury, there was all sorts of speculation over who would replace him to face off with the former Bellator middleweight champion in the main event. Instead, the UFC decided to throw a whole new bout on the card: Via UFC.com:

The new main event on August 4 will be a five-round light heavyweight battle between two of the best Muay Thai strikers in the game, Brandon Vera and former champion Shogun Rua. Rua is riding the momentum of the fight of the century against Dan Henderson, while Vera is back in the win column and looking to make a statement after being sidelined earlier this year due to injury himself.

Rua is being plucked from the UFC 149 card in Calgary, where he was set to face Thiago Silva until Silva suffered an injury. Vera, meanwhile, was training for a bout with James Te Huna at the July FUEL TV event. A new opponent for Te Huna is expected to be named shortly.

Rua (20-6) was dealing with some pressure from the UFC to face Glover Teixeira in the co-main event bout at UFC 149, but apparently that's out the window. Vera (12-5) is coming off a close win over Eliot Marshall at UFC 137 where he had his arm broken. He's spent the last seven months recovering from his injury.

It's unclear what will happen with Lombard at this point.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I've heard Bisping is injured too and Lombard is now facing Boetsch?

That leaves an obvious matchup of Bisping vs Stann once both recover.

Unconfirmed though.
    Jon Anik just tweeted that it is indeed Boetsch v Lombard. I'm on the iPhone so I can't link to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dean09 wrote: »
    Jon Anik just tweeted that it is indeed Boetsch v Lombard. I'm on the iPhone so I can't link to it.

The UFC has lost yet another key matchup. Seriously.

UFC officials announced late Wednesday night that British middleweight Michael Bisping has suffered an injury in training and has been forced to withdraw from a planned matchup with Tim Boetsch (15-4 MMA, 6-3 UFC) at UFC 149.

In his place now steps Hector Lombard (31-2-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC), who had been expected to headline UFC on FOX 4 against Brian Stann, who on Wednesday also withdrew from injury.

UFC 149 takes place July 21 at Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo headlines against title challenger Erik Koch.

Boetsch vs. Lombard is expected to remain on the evening's main card.

In his most recent performance, Boetsch delivered a spectacular come-from-behind victory against Yushin Okami at UFC 144. Down two rounds after contending with the onetime title challenger's crisp standup work, he charged back early in the third round and landed a barrage of punches that forced a stoppage.

Lombard, Bellator's longtime middleweight champion, signed with the UFC just this past week. The Cuban-Australian standout enters the UFC on the strength of a 24-0-1 unbeaten streak that dates back to 2006. Lombard, who nearly signed with the UFC in 2007 before visa issues got in the way, most recently knocked out Trevor Prangley at Bellator 58, which fulfilled the terms of his Bellator deal. He concluded his run in the organization with an 8-0 record.

The nature of Bisping's injury and a timetable for his return were not immediately established.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭omeatheopian

Lads does anyone know hoe to watch tomorrows event McCall v Johnson?
    Cheers in advance

Lads does anyone know hoe to watch tomorrows event McCall v Johnson?
    Cheers in advance

ESPN at 2am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭omeatheopian

MrStuffins wrote: »
    ESPN at 2am.
    cheers man. great news as wasnt advertised or on their listings all week

Is it just me or are they having an absolute nightmare with injuries/suspensions ever since the insurance came through?

dojojoe wrote: »
    Is it just me or are they having an absolute nightmare with injuries/suspensions ever since the insurance came through?
    There does seem to be a lot of injuries lately and some people are saying its because when there was no insurance the fighters just trained and fought through injury but now they're availing of the treatment with the insurance. But that doesn't really wash with me. At the end of the day the fighters still need to get paid so they'll have to fight with injuries whether they like it or not.
    Maybe they're just on a bad run lately with injuries and pull-outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

There does seem to be a lot of injuries lately and some people are saying its because when there was no insurance the fighters just trained and fought through injury but now they're availing of the treatment with the insurance. But that doesn't really wash with me. At the end of the day the fighters still need to get paid so they'll have to fight with injuries whether they like it or not.
    Maybe they're just on a bad run lately with injuries and pull-outs.

It does make sense. Before if a fighter got injured they had already paid camp fees and had looming medical bills with no income. The insurance removes the medical fees meaning they don't have to worry about them and may just decide to eat the loss of other fees rather than risk a loss due to injury which would them impact their future contracts, sponsorships etc.

It does make sense. Before if a fighter got injured they had already paid camp fees and had looming medical bills with no income. The insurance removes the medical fees meaning they don't have to worry about them and may just decide to eat the loss of other fees rather than risk a loss due to injury which would them impact their future contracts, sponsorships etc.

Yeah you have a point there but I still think that, depending on the seriousness of the injury, they'd rather fight and get that payday as I think the rewards outweigh the risk in certain cases.
    I do believe that what you said may be true in some cases though. But I don't think that all of these pull outs are down to the insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

The UFC will probably start hyping up more fighters so the replacements always appear to be decent replacements...

The UFC will probably start hyping up more fighters so the replacements always appear to be decent replacements...

Like Mir-JDS.
    They always make it out that the champ isn't a huge favourite.

Not technically UFC news but not really worthy of its own thread..........Paul Daley has been released from Strikeforce. I wonder where he'll head to next as I doubt he'll ever fight in the UFC again. My guess would be Bellator.

Strikeforce has released former welterweight title challenger Paul Daley.

Wad Alameddine of Fight Management today confirmed the news via press release.

According to a statement, Daley (29-12-2 MMA, 2-3 SF), who most recently suffered a March loss to Kazuo Misaki via split decision, is pursuing options with other fight promotions, due in part to his inability to fight frequently with Strikeforce.

"I'm happy that Strikeforce has granted my request to be released from their roster as I found it difficult to fight so infrequently," the British striker stated. "My whole career I've wanted to fight as often as possible as it keeps me in the best form and condition.

"I felt that I put on nothing but entertaining fights while at the organization. The KOs of (Duane) Ludwig and Scott Smith were some great memories for me, as well as the back-and-forth fight of the year I had with Nick Diaz. My manager has already started speaking to some promotions about my future today following the official release papers from Strikeforce, and I'm looking forward to the next part in my journey."

Prior to the Misaki loss, the 29-year-old Daley had posted back-to-back decision wins over Jordan Radev and Luigi Fioravanti in outside promotions. However, he went winless in his final three Strikeforce appearances, including a title loss to welterweight champ Diaz in early 2011.

Alameddine insists the split was amicable.

"I am personally disappointed to see Paul leave Strikeforce," he stated. "He's without question one of the most charismatic personalities and talented MMA athletes to come out of the U.K. We have parted ways with Strikeforce on good terms."

Over three stints with the promotion, Daley went 2-3 in Strikeforce.

Daley also has competed with promotions such as the UFC, EliteXC, BAMMA, MFC and Cage Rage during his nine-year career.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hide the Rum

Jesus lads Aldo is out now, fight is postponed. The amount of injuries! Just watched a Dana interview, Shogun would rather be cut than fight Teixeira. I've been on the sauce tonight, but jaysus we need a good fight of the year candidate to get us over all this malarky. Hopefully Maynard/Guida does itself justice!

Hopefully Maynard/Guida does itself justice!

Lay n'Praynard V Clay Guida. Hopefully their wrestling cancels out and we have a stand up fight, and maybe Gray will try to learn a sub or two.

Yeah you have a point there but I still think that, depending on the seriousness of the injury, they'd rather fight and get that payday as I think the rewards outweigh the risk in certain cases.
    I do believe that what you said may be true in some cases though. But I don't think that all of these pull outs are down to the insurance.

At the moment I am collecting the various events from the last 3 years, taking the number of fights, events, changed bouts due to injury etc and seeing if it really is happening more now, or does it just feel like it's more because we have a lot more events.

Should be done by tomorrow.

At the moment I am collecting the various events from the last 3 years, taking the number of fights, events, changed bouts due to injury etc and seeing if it really is happening more now, or does it just feel like it's more because we have a lot more events.

Should be done by tomorrow.

That should be interesting to see. It does feel like there has been an abnormally high amount of injuries this year compared to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Not so much news really, but I'd recommend listening to the ESPN UFC podcast for those that are into that sort of thing. They seem to be ahead of the curve with inside info as well as it being a good breakdown of fights as well as previews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

JDS expected to defend his HW title against Cain Velasquez and Rory MacDonald is set to fight BJ.

Source
    Fast-rising welterweight contender Rory MacDonald issued a challenge to former champion B.J. Penn on Monday. And Penn quickly accepted.

UFC president Dana White has since given the fight his blessing and intends to let MacDonald and Penn settle their differences Sept. 22 at UFC 152 in Toronto.

"We're going to do it," White said Friday night during the UFC on FX 3 postfight news conference in Sunrise, Fla.

White also revealed that heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos will make the second defense of his belt in the UFC 152 main event against former titleholder Cain Velasquez.

It's taking me a lot longer than I thought to pull the data together because I have a tonne of **** to take care (buying a house) but I should have it all by Friday.

• Advertisement

It's taking me a lot longer than I thought to pull the data together because I have a tonne of **** to take care (buying a house) but I should have it all by Friday.

Jesus get your priorities in order man! :rolleyes:

(Appreciate the work though :))

UFC 150 press conference stream here.

Starts in 5 minutes.

This is seriously starting to get ridiculous. I know Franklin said he's only really weighing up his options at the minute, and I do appreciate the fact that he's being open and honest about it, but come on!
    He has no serious medical condition that requires TRT but he's thinking about it because the option is there for him. The way things are going, every fighter will be on TRT just for the hell of it. In my eyes 99% of this is just a kind of legalized cheating. I know that's an oxymoron but you get what I mean. This needs to be looked at in depth soon and it needs to be strictly regulated.

LINK
    Jun 11, 2012 - It was about two or three years ago when Rich Franklin started being asked about retirement. At the time, the question took Franklin by surprise. He was still in his mid-30s -- not young but not old -- and still performing well, but the query started seeping into interviews until the point came when not a single one would go by without it coming up.

It is so prevalent in these kinds of conversations, he says, that it's conditioned him to understand that when it comes to his days in the octagon, he's down to his final ones. That realization often causes athletes to look for ways to extend their careers, and Franklin is no different.

In fact, on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour, the former UFC middleweight champion admitted that he has looked into the controversial testosterone replacement therapy (TRT).

In response to a question by host Ariel Helwani about prolonging his fighting days with the help of TRT, Franklin offered this response:

"Yeah, I've kicked around that idea and everything, and actually I’ve talked to doctors that work with the UFC and the athletic commission in Nevada and all that kind of stuff," said Franklin, who takes on Wanderlei Silva at UFC 147 later this month. "And at 37, my count obviously is not what it was when I was 25, and I’m a candidate for that kind of stuff. I haven’t started yet.

"I'm not sure if that's something I want to do or how I want to approach that, because TRT is … once you start that process it’s a permanent fixture," he continued. "Once you start putting those hormones in your body -- those synthetic hormones -- then your body is not going to produce its own hormones any more, and so you really have to think carefully. My levels are still decently healthy for a male, but they're not high enough to continue a prolonged career at a top level for many more years."

According to the guidelines of various state athletic commissions that offer TRT therapeutic use exemptions, an athlete must be able to prove that his testosterone level is below normal. Franklin's statement seems to indicate his levels are normal for his age, just not quite as high as they used to be, so while his candidacy for TRT might be contradicted by his statement, it must be noted he has not used the treatment.

If this appears to be another case of an athlete considering gaming the system, given Franklin's voluntary candidness on the topic, it also might be an instance where he is simply gathering information on a treatment that has seeped into popular culture in the last two years.

Either way, the interest in TRT seems to be picking up steam in MMA circles, ramping up attention and setting the stage for those in regulatory positions to more forcefully execute their duties and enforce fair play. Until then, TRT and other treatments are an avenue that even Franklin admitted will continue to be explored by fighters looking for an edge.

"I'm sure that there are people that find ways around things, and cheating and all that kind of stuff but that’s just a natural thing," Franklin said. "The only way to really, really, really cure something like that is to have a 100 percent zero tolerance policy on these kinds of things, but it’s just impossible across the board, because this is how sports operate."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Makes sense.

I posted somewhere next few inductees will be Tito, BJ, Silva, GSP as they approach retiring. With a few maybes thrown into the middle, like Forrest, Franklin etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

This is seriously starting to get ridiculous. I know Franklin said he's only really weighing up his options at the minute, and I do appreciate the fact that he's being open and honest about it, but come on!
    He has no serious medical condition that requires TRT but he's thinking about it because the option is there for him. The way things are going, every fighter will be on TRT just for the hell of it. In my eyes 99% of this is just a kind of legalized cheating. I know that's an oxymoron but you get what I mean. This needs to be looked at in depth soon and it needs to be strictly regulated.

LINK

Having listened to the interview yesterday I got the feeling he probably wouldn't be going down this route however maybe he will.

How does Nate manage to do without TRT now if you have to be on it forever once your system gets used to the the synthetic TRT and stops producing natural TRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

What did Barry Oglesby get banned for?

TUF: Live will no longer be : Live!
    Though UFC president Dana White said he loves the live version of "The Ultimate Fighter," the reality series will return to a taped format for its next season, he told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday.

When Fox struck a deal last August with the UFC for MMA programming, it wanted to put "The Ultimate Fighter" on FX. The only open slot, though, was on Friday night, which is generally regarded as the worst ratings night.
    "FX wants to try it again on Friday nights,"

White said. "But if it's not up to the standards I'm expecting, I'm pretty sure they'll give me what I want. But this season was a smash hit home run for them."

Source

I know this is nothing that people didn't already suspect, but it'll be interesting to see what Sonnens reply will be. That's if he even bothers to reply.

Mma doctor Johnny Benjamin speaking about Chael Sonnens TRT:
    “Was Chael Sonnen a big time collegiate wrestler? Yes he was. I’m going to opine and say to you, there’s no way in the world you get to the level of collegiate wrestling that Chael Sonnen was at, with hypogonadism. Let me explain to you why. Hypogonadism means that the testes did not produce enough testosterone for one to normally mature. He wasn’t on TRT as a teenager. He became this big, muscled up monster and NCAA wrestler with hypogonadism? Hell no. The truth of the matter is, you could never get to that level, because you’re not going to have the muscle mass and strength to get you there. They’re going to run you over. Your body will not allow you to develop enough muscle and strength to compete at your size. If he has hypogonadism, it’s from one thing, and one thing only, because he treated himself with steroids in the past, and wrecked his testes. That’s it.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

What did Barry Oglesby get banned for?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056659134

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement