Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

Thales Leites has resigned with UFC.
    http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2013/05/27/thales-leites-brought-back-by-the-ufc/

Also in unrelated news Bob Sapp took on Aleksander Emelianenko over the weekend. Can you guess what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

TJ Grant and Bendo confirmed . Source

He has looked outstanding recently. LW is stacked but if he continues on his current form, it will be a bad night for Bendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

That Stephens fight, i know what to expect as i've been watching this shit for years, but i wonder what would happen if that was the first fight on a FOX broadcast, no way would FOX be happy with it, what could they do?

I know they could clean the fighters up but it'd be back to the same within a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

p to the e wrote: »
    Thales Leites has resigned with UFC.
    http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2013/05/27/thales-leites-brought-back-by-the-ufc/

Also in unrelated news Bob Sapp took on Aleksander Emelianenko over the weekend. Can you guess what happened?

Leites hardly covered himself in glory in his fight v Silva. But MW is in need of some new blood.

Speaking of New Blood, I'd love to see Alex get a shot in the UFC. Although would I be right in thinking he's represented by the same lads as his brother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Speaking of New Blood, I'd love to see Alex get a shot in the UFC. Although would I be right in thinking he's represented by the same lads as his brother?

Cant get licensed in the US I think

Chinpool wrote: »
    Cant get licensed in the US I think

Oh wow, just looked it up there. Suspected Hep C (or B?)? Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Aye. He has hepatitis of some sorts

• Registered Users Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cathal Pendred is on the MMA hour this week.

Dana says in this vid, at 31:40 he says that they'll be back in Ireland within a year, first time he's given us a definite time scale (well, since he said he'd be back on Paddy's Day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mentions Conor too. Has an opponent lined up, but can't announce it yet.
    It's a a step up but not into the elite.

A few other interesting comments re: Barnett, Nelson, Diaz/Conduit

scudzilla wrote: »
    Dana says in this vid, at 31:40 he says that they'll be back in Ireland within a year, first time he's given us a definite time scale (well, since he said he'd be back on Paddy's Day)

In 2010 I remember him saying they'd be back "before the end of 2010".

I really hope he ain't spoofing!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Not sure if this was posted but here is the Forrest Griffin retirement ceremony. I think he deserved a bit better than Bigfoot wet willying JDS, Dana making a bit of a balls of the speech and journos having no questions/comments at first when asked. I know it was about time to retire but Forrest is a legend. Feel like watching all his old fights now, have to skip the Silva one tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

My favourite Forrest fight is the 1st Tito fight, what a fight !!

Griffin and Bonnar to be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame at UFC 162

http://www.bjpenn.com/griffin-bonnar-to-go-into-the-ufc-hall-of-fame-together/

The whole thing seemed very rushed to me. And considering the way Forrest went on, I don't think this was an Alex Ferguson style retirement where he decided on it long ago and just announced it on Saturday.

It's a shame because I think he deserved a bit more fanfare.

Also, I found it interesting that he named the TUF Finale as his best moment over winning the belt.

Mellor wrote: »
    Cathal Pendred is on the MMA hour this week.

He was already on AFAIK.

Link is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Looks like Zingano injured her knee and has been replaced by Rousey's kind-of rival Miesha Tate as the coach for TUF18. Turns out that they had kept the injury a secret since May 16.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mma--ronda-rousey-shocked-as-miesha-tate-replaces-an-injured-cat-zingano-on-ufc-s--tuf--show-233340082.html
    LAS VEGAS – Filming began Tuesday for Season 18 of the UFC's reality series, "The Ultimate Fighter," with a gigantic and unexpected switch.
    Unbeaten Cat Zingano, who was slated to coach opposite women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, injured a knee and was replaced as coach by long-time Rousey rival Miesha Tate.
    Rousey did not know that Zingano was injured – UFC president Dana White said it had been a tightly kept company secret since Zingano injured her right knee during a May 16 workout – or that Tate had been brought in to replace her, until the opening scenes of the show were filmed on Tuesday.
    When Tate came out, Rousey was clearly stunned and she stormed out of the UFC training center, searching for White. She later said she was angry because she thought Tate was replacing her.
    Rousey, though, was pleased with the change.
    "This is what we really wanted all along," Rousey told Yahoo! Sports. "Everyone said an Ultimate Fighter between me and Miesha would be the best. We have a personal history with each other and this is a personal show. For some reason, me and Miesha are intertwined in fate like Ali and Frazier or something like that.
    "I think people will look back at this as one of monumental rivalries and look back at this as one of those things that really cemented women's MMA."

Ronda Rousey puts the final touches on an submission against Miesha Tate. (Courtesy Tracy Lee for Y! Sports)
    Tate was disappointed that it took an injury to Zingano for her to get the spot on the show, but she said she felt it was fate. She said she felt she was winning the fight with Zingano when referee Kim Winslow stopped it.
    But Tate was thrilled to not only get the gig and the title shot, but to see Rousey get visibly angry when she appeared.
    "It was rewarding to see that," she said. "I was like, 'Yay! This is getting good.' I watched her go to her corner and her corner was up in arms. I was just sitting there in the doorway thinking, 'This is awesome.'
    "I felt I was cheated a little in that fight with Cat. I had two solid rounds and one not-so-good round. Either way, I felt I was meant to be here and it's come full circle."
    Season 18 of 'The Ultimate Fighter' will debut in September on the new all-sports channel, Fox Sports 1, and will, for the first time, include women as coaches and females as well as males among the contestants, all vying for a UFC contract.
    Zingano stopped Tate in the third round of their April 13 fight to win the right to coach opposite Rousey and get the title shot. The coaching slot and title shot – tentatively slated to be on pay-per-view on Dec. 28 – now goes to Tate.
    Rousey won the Strikeforce women's bantamweight title from Tate in 2011 when both were in the now-defunct promotion. It was that fight which piqued UFC president Dana White's interest in women's fighting. To that point, White had maintained that the UFC would be men-only.
    Zingano underwent surgery on her right knee on Tuesday to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus, as well as to clean up other damage. She said she injured the knee as she came down after clearing a short hurdle.
    "I was doing my regular routine, my strength and conditioning," Zingano told Yahoo! Sports by telephone shortly before she was wheeled into surgery. "I was jumping over tunnels that were about 12 inches high. I'd jumped over them like 10 times already. This one time, I jumped up and my left knee came down right on track and my right knee bent outward.
    Ronda Rousey reacts after defeating Liz Carmouche at UFC 157. (USA Today
    "Snap, crackle, pop, and I hit the floor. That was all she wrote. It was terrible. It hurt bad, but the thing that bothered me most was the sound. I never experienced anything like that."
    Zingano said she will be able to resume training in six to nine months. She said the most crushing part of the injury is that she will lose the opportunity to fight Rousey for the belt. She said White promised her she would have the first shot at the Tate-Rousey winner.
    White said it made the most sense to put Tate into the spot rather than one of the UFC's other women fighters.
    "Miesha has the most experience," White said. "She'd probably won the first two rounds of that fight with Cat and if it had gone to the cards, she'd probably have won by decision. The nice thing having Cat in there coaching against Ronda is that Cat was undefeated, and so we had this whole thing of two undefeated fighters facing off.
    "But with Miesha, she and Ronda already had a great fight and they have a history together. They don't like each other. We'll make it work. We always do. You know how I say every day when I wake up, I know some bad [expletive] is going to happen? Well, this was one of them, but we're doing the best we can here."

Wow....how much did UFC pay Zingano for that 'injury'! I'm sure it's legit but gotta admit, that worked out nicely for everyone, bar Zingano of course.

Not a hope they paid her off. If they wanted to make sure 100% it was Rousey v Tate on TUF then they would never have scheduled the Tate v Zingano fight in the first place.

• Advertisement

hmmmm looks very staged :cool: She must be well sickened.

BLZFzqWCEAAKKjK.jpg:large

Jaysus, they could've given her clean sheets :(

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

It looks like a doctor was eating a plate of spag bol as he was examining her knee! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Or got the gush (nsfw) during surgery...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just a heads up for anybody who's interested. There's a really good mma site I've been using for a while now. It's great for breaking down all the stuff that casual fans wouldn't be interested in. Things like fighter payouts, who sponsored who etc.
    And it has a section called "Blue Book" that details stuff like the gate attendance, ppv buys, sponsors, and tv views for past events. Most of it is up to date apart from the live gate & attendance section. (As far as I can see that's the only section that's missing stuff)

Anyway, if you're like me and find that stuff interesting, then check it out.

Here's the link:
    MMA Payout

I mentioned some time ago about a mate of mine, met him when we both joined the UFC Fight club around 5yrs ago, he started reffing and judging small shows, done a few courses and is now a regular CW judge, he also did the last UFC in England.

He found out a few days ago that he's goin to Brazil next week to do the UFC event, pretty delighted for him, just goes to prove ya can do anything in the business if yer not built for fighting

I mentioned some time ago about a mate of mine, met him when we both joined the UFC Fight club around 5yrs ago, he started reffing and judging small shows, done a few courses and is now a regular CW judge, he also did the last UFC in England.

He found out a few days ago that he's goin to Brazil next week to do the UFC event, pretty delighted for him, just goes to prove ya can do anything in the business if yer not built for fighting

That's pretty cool that he's starting to get regular UFC work. Best of luck to him.
    Is he sticking to the judging or does he still ref too?

El Guapo! wrote: »
    That's pretty cool that he's starting to get regular UFC work. Best of luck to him.
    Is he sticking to the judging or does he still ref too?

He very occasionally refs the smaller shows but think he's setled on judging now, can't be bad though, All expenses paid trip to Brazil, and Dublin this weekend.

He very occasionally refs the smaller shows but think he's setled on judging now, can't be bad though, All expenses paid trip to Brazil, and Dublin this weekend.

Wouldn't mind a bit of that myself. I might fire in my cv. Surely I can't be much worse than Cecil Peoples. :pac:

Edit: sorry....any excuse just to use this gif.

Cecil-Peoples_referee.gif

• Advertisement

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Just a heads up for anybody who's interested. There's a really good mma site I've been using for a while now. It's great for breaking down all the stuff that casual fans wouldn't be interested in. Things like fighter payouts, who sponsored who etc.
    And it has a section called "Blue Book" that details stuff like the gate attendance, ppv buys, sponsors, and tv views for past events. Most of it is up to date apart from the live gate & attendance section. (As far as I can see that's the only section that's missing stuff)

Anyway, if you're like me and find that stuff interesting, then check it out.

Here's the link:
    MMA Payout

Another one for looking up refs and their scoring and various other things -

http://mmadecisions.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement