Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

roxy81 wrote: »
    I am heading to London in 2 weeks with my mam for pure shopping. We have our flights booked to Heathrow. We have not booked the hotel yet...............thats another area we need help with as this break has crept up on us both.

Basically we need some advice from somebody thats done this before. Between us our sense of direction would not be great so we need an idiots guide to getting around London.

Any hotel suggestions would be great, preferably near the shops would be fantastic?
    Also are the shopping streets easily accessible by tube from the airport?

All help thoroughly appreciated, thanx a mil.

Rox

I stayed here

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_book/hotel_overview.php?hotel_id=318

Its real cheap safe and very central right in convenant garden.By the way its looks like a communist building on the outside so be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

pampers1 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good cheap hotel/apartment for a girlie shopping weekend to London. What are the best shopping areas - Oxford Street is it? Thanks.

Shopping areas are actually all close by, Knightsbridge is a must visit for Harrods alone, Harvey Nichols and Burberry are also in Knightsbridge, Sloane Street is just off Knightsbridge which also contains a number of designer shops. Knightsbridge is served by the Piccadilly tube line. From there Oxford street is actually walkable imo, but as you only have the weeknend you can take the tube from Knightsbridge (Piccadilly line) to Green Park(2 stops) change here for the Jubilee line and take it to Bond Street(1 stop). Bond Street tube station is actually on Oxford Street and is the best stop for Selfridges dept store which is another must visit imo. Streets off Oxford street and good for shopping are Bond Street(Bond Street is nxt to Bond Street tube station) and Regent Street which if you walk up Oxford Steet is just off Oxford Circus. Off Regent Street you have Carnaby Street which has a really nice Italian Coffee shop, the name escapes me and also a number of nice shops. If you walk along Regent Street you will come to Piccadilly Circus(10 mins walk) and Leceister Square and in fact Covent Garden, all are well signposted.

As for where to stay, as I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread I would go for the Kensington area, I have mentioned a hotel already which I feel offers excellent value in a very nice area. You can get a room which fits 2 comfortably for £80-£100 including full English Breakfast. The hotel which mentioned tube station is Gloucester Road(Zone 1) served by the Piccadilly line and also the Circle and District lines is two stops from Knightsbridge and is direct to Heathrow airport 40 mins. The area as said is excellent and has plenty of restaurants/coffe shops a Waitrose/Tesco and huge Sainsbury and Boots.

The Westfield shopping centre as mentioned by Fratton Fred is also close by tube, from Gloucester Road for instance,(15mins) take the Circle line to Notting Hill Gate-two stops, change at Notting Hill Gate for the Central line and take it to Sheperds Bush(1 stop)

If you need any other help/advice please feel free to pm me.

Hotel Website:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/lonhi

You can get better rates for this hotel on website below but is bit more difficult to navigate, click on bed and breakfast logo on this site which should bring up all Holiday Inns, if anyone needs more info please pm and I can guide you through if you can't find them.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/925/en/home

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Hi. Can anyone recommend a decent hotel near Wembley arena, London? What would the best place be to stay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Wembley is not that nice an area, so on the assmuption you are going to a concert, you would be better off staying near a jubilee line station in the west end. The london megathread will give you plenty of advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I stayed in the Ibis and I would stay there again. Nice sized room, clean and modern. Good value too.

http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-3141-ibis-london-wembley/index.shtml

• Advertisement

Hi. Can anyone recommend a decent hotel near Wembley arena, London? What would the best place be to stay?

Wouldn't worry about staying in Wembley as Fratton Fred pointed out, you could stay pretty much anywhere in Central London and get up to Wembley quickly. For instance if you stay in the Kensington area, you have only two tube trains to take which should take you approx 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carol_1985

Hi guys,

Would anyone have any reccomendations for hotels. I'm looking to stay somewhere fairly central and with a reasonable price.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

It is an expensive enough place to stay. If you don't mind being a bit off the beaten track there is a travel lodge over by London City Airport where you can sometimes get good deals - bit it is about 35/40 mins on a combination of the Docklands Light Rail and the Tube to get into Central London.

For Central London itself, provided you aren't heading over to party party party, consider the Quaker guesthouse, The Penn Club, which has an excellent location and includes a full English breakfast!

It is on Bedford Place which is about a minute's walk from Russell Square Tube which will get you to the likes of Covent Garden and Leicester Square in under 5 minutes on a direct tube line or in under 10 minutes with one swap you will get to Westminster and Oxford Circus. Equally Leceister Square is only about 15/20 mins walk and the British Museum is on your doorstep.

Do you have any other details of what you are doing over there and I might be able to give some more recommendations?

The hotel in post #73 sounds pretty good to me as well.

Carol_1985 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Would anyone have any reccomendations for hotels. I'm looking to stay somewhere fairly central and with a reasonable price.

Thanks

See post 93.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭kingshankly

hi folks heading to london with the misses and 2 year old next month for a couple of nights,flying to stanstead and will get the train in but looking for a hotel close to the sights,not too bothered about shopping( as we are then getting the train up to liverpool for a few days where she can shop where we are more familiar).
    and what sights are a must was there 15 or so years ago cant remember feck all

hi folks heading to london with the misses and 2 year old next month for a couple of nights,flying to stanstead and will get the train in but looking for a hotel close to the sights,not too bothered about shopping( as we are then getting the train up to liverpool for a few days where she can shop where we are more familiar).
    and what sights are a must was there 15 or so years ago cant remember feck all

For hotel see my post no.93 as mentioned Kensington is a really nice area, one slight drawback is that it is much more convenient for Heathrow rather than Stanstead, that said if you get the train from Stanstead to Liverpool street station, jump on the tube from here, take the Circle line westbound direct to Gloucester Road(14 stops- approx 25mins)

Liverpool st station is grid ref C6 on the below map, Gloucester Rd is grid ref D3.5

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

As for attractions you are spoiled for chocie in London, if the weather is good I would give Kensington Gardens a vist(10 minute walk from hotel in post93) a really nice park which also has Kensington Palace where Princess Diana lived. I would give the hop on bus tour a go as this will bring you to all the major attractions in London and you can hop on and hop off at whatever point you want.

The London Eye is a must imo, the views of London are superb, on a clear day you can even see as far west as Heathrow and Windsor.Great views of all the great London landmarks, St Pauls,Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace,the City of London,Canary Wharf etc.. Tube station for the London Eye is Westminster (D 4.5 IS GRID REF) which is on the circle(yellow) and district(green line) and Jubilee line(grey line)

http://www.visitlondon.com/attractions/detail/282783

From the London eye a boat trip along the Thames is well worth it, you can take a short boat trip up to the Tower Of London or you can take a longer boat trip to Greenwich. You can also go by boat from here to Hampton Court Palace.

Buckingham Palace is now open to the public during the summer and is also well worth a visit.

The below link is an excellent site for finding attractions, London also has many attractions that have no entry fee if you are on a budget.

http://www.visitlondon.com/attractions/culture/.

As you are only there for a couple of days, do the bus tour it will take in the majority of attractions and the boat trip to the Tower of London. I know you mentioned shopping is not that important but a visit to Harrods is a must imo, it is an attraction in itself, Harrods tube station is Knightsbridge on the Piccadilly line(dark blue) map grid ref is D4.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mccy02

stay away from the thistle euston hotel anyway!

Sights - trafalgar square, and absolute must. Covent garden is lovely but on a sunny sat, you just couldn't bear the crowds. The bus tour is very good, you get to see the city comfortably and can decide which things you'd like to visit and just hop off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

Hi all,
    can anyone recommend a nice restaurant in the Haymarket area for a meal before The phantom of the opera in haymarket.
    Show is at 7.30pm so maybe an early bird?not sure.
    anyone gone and done this already?
    thanks
    john

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Hey all, a couple of questions for ya... Anyone know which tube to get to Brockley from Liverpool st? Also, where can we buy tix for the hop on hop off bus to see the sights? Thanks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

www.journeyplanner.org is your friend for all London transport queries :)

As for tickets - well there are various different providers, each with their own site. In many central/popular locations they'll actually have agents at the stop selling tickets on the spot.

Monica,

If you mean Brockley in Surrey, then you are better off flying into Gatwick rather than Stansted. Brockley isn't on the tube, it is an over ground station on the line into London Bridge.

I'm flying to Dublin from LCY on Friday. is it really as easy as they claim?

I am getting there using the DLR, anyone got any idea how long it takes to get from the station to the check in desks?

Also, does anyone know if Cityjet have checkin kiosks/terminals at Dublin? my Flight Monday is at 6:40 (Which is a rediculously busy time) and I might not get a chance to print out a boarding pass beforehand so may have to pick it up at the airport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

London City airport is my favourite airport. Its so easy to navigate through. Its small but its not like some of the shacks Ryanair fly you too in Europe. The waiting area after you pass through security feels like an executive lounge.

I havent used the DLR to get to it but from what I know (although I could be wrong) its within a few minutes of the door.

Cityjet are operated by Air France so you shouldnt have any issue in Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭thebiglad

You will be in the DLR less than 2 minutes after exiting front doors (and also the arrivals area of City Airport is very small).

It is a very nice airport, although very small and not too much by way of entertainment so don't check in for flight 2 hours early!

Think Cityjet may share check in with AirFrance in Dublin, whatever, they have staff and check in when I flew with them was without problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Hi
    heading over here weekend of 7/8th aug. Looking for decent priced hotels in or around the city. And also a site where i can get cheap enough tickets for shows maybe
    thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Really depends on what you want to pay.

For budget (Ryanair type) hotel check out Travel Lodge or with a bigger budget check out www.laterooms.com - the secret rooms can be a real steal. They also have theatre tickets.

In terms of shows, the obvious choice is www.tkts.co.uk - there are also many kiosks around Leicester Square, you will get something if not too fussy. If you want a specific show, particularly the big names then best book before you go and don't expect discount. Matinees are of course easier to get than the evening shows (and cheaper).

Many of the larger theatres release tickets immediately prior to the shows, necessary to queue at box office - not guaranteed so may not be an option.

Another website you may be interested in is www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/

Should add, many theatres have no shows on a Sunday (as your dates are Friday and Saturday not an issue) - keep this in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cruisy

London City is the business...you just walk out and you're in London - ok, you're east of London, but if where you're going is anywhere that side of town, I think it's great, much faster than getting through the corridoors of heathrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Hi,

Traveling to london soon for first time, just wondering what is the best airport to fly into if i'm staying in central london?.... can anyone recommend a decent hotel too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the closest is london city but very few flights go there, heathrow is the biggest and is located in the west of the city and easily accessible by underground, for me though its too busy

gatwick is my personal favourite, there is a train every few minutes from gatwick to victoria station in central london (journey time is 30 mins and tickets cost £5 one way if you book early on http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mill21

jobless wrote: »
    Hi,

Traveling to london soon for first time, just wondering what is the best airport to fly into if i'm staying in central london?.... can anyone recommend a decent hotel too?

In my opinion Heathrow. Been to London loads of times and always come through Heathrow. Never been to Gatwick, mainly cos I'v always found heathrow very convienient.

I was last there in June. Stayed at the London Guards Hotels. It was nice hotel. Nothing majorly special. Not too dear tho, close to underground (central line) easy to get to from heathrow (one underground change - costs £3ish) or you can get an express one it paddington, but I don't think its cheap

http://www.londonguardshotel.co.uk/
    http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/londonguardshotel.en.html

and it had continental breakast which was plenty for me and was included saving time and money
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    the closest is london city but very few flights go there, heathrow is the biggest and is located in the west of the city and easily accessible by underground, for me though its too busy

I work at the airport and I think its just city jet (air france) that fly to LCY
    You're right there though early morning the picidilly line is very busy, (I went over 2nd flight back on the last) and for the way home it was empty. Its just usual peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Heathrow gets my vote, Gatwick is a mare during the summer as it's packed with charter passengers.

Fly into Heathrow and then get the Heathrow Express.
    https://www.heathrowexpress.com/

jobless wrote: »
    Hi,

I would go for Heathow, where exactly in Central London are you staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

It really depends on where you are staying, how long you are going for, whether you don't mind changing tube, etc . . .

Gatwick used to be my favourite, but after my last two trips there it is firmly off the list. Last Sunday Ryanair had 2 desks open for about 6 flights. The queue stretched for miles. We were stood there for well over an hour and only moved about 2 metres. The queue must have been a good 150-200m long, so you can imagine how long it was going to take. Eventually BAA/Ryanair opened up another desk for the Dublin flight, but that took ages too. Eventually got through that and then (with 10m to go to the flight) walked into another huge queue for security. Bunked that queue (just about) got through, sent #2 son off to the loo (he was bursting at this stage), checked the board and got to the flight with just a few minutes to spare. The whole problem was just brought on by the amount of queueing involved. Total nightmare.

Next time we go back we're going to London City - City Jet have reduced their prices big time from what I can see.

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MrMiyagi

Where is the best / cheapest place to store your luggage in central London for less than 24 hours?

Advertisement