Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Warriors 09 - Practical virgin runner seeks advice

• 09-02-2009 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi

I am interested in doing the Warriors race this year. I know it seems like crazy early to be thinking about it but the truth is I am starting from a very low fitness level and I'm not a habitual runner.

My uncle did it last year and suggested I do it this year as something to work towards/a way to really challenge myself. I'm not looking to run it as a race proper, I just want to complete it but not make a total show of myself.

AT the moment my physical stats are somewhat dismal. I am a couple of stone overweight but I have begun to remedy that by changing my diet. DO you think it's possible that if I start training now I could be in adequate physical shape and fitness to complete the run?
    I'm 28 years old.

ALso, if you think it's possible how would i go about it. I got the 8week pre-run training plan off the warriors website but I'm nowhere near fit enough to be doing that level of training yet. I have just under 20 weeks from today til the 8week pre-training would start. How does one start from scratch. (like I'd say I'd have difficulty running 2k on the road right now)

I'm aware that the experienced runners among you may think I'm ridiculous and if you think I'm wasting my time then say so but if anyone thinks that it's achieveable then I'd love to hear from you because I would love to hear your thoughts.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi Pocabella,

Youll have no problem making the Warriors run, you have plenty of time.

Check these threads out:

Warriors Run 09
    Warriors Run 07

For starting from Scratch see Daniels White Plan (page 162).

This guy is known as on of the best elite coaches, but his beginner (White) plan is really excellent.

Read the description before the schedule.

First session is 5 min walk, and 10 by (1 min run, 1 min walk) with 5 min walk to cool down. It gradually works up from there. After 12 weeks you move onto the read plan. You can start tailoring then a bit to suit the race (a few hills etc).

There is a training log on this site. You can use it to log training and people can give you support.

The hardest run will be that first 10 by 1 minute one. Once you get out the door and do that half the battle is won!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pocabella

Wow T runner thanks a million!! That plan is spot on. THanks for the positive support too. I'm definitely going to do it, starting tonight! I'll stay on the forums for more advice etc too. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Hi Pocabella,
    I am soo glad I saw this post, I am also a virgin runner! :o and plan on doing the Warriors run this year, mainly to get the t-shirt so everyone will know I did it!! haha (just kidding!) I've been thinking about starting some sort of training now just so I'll be able for the 8 week training plan,
    So, just to let you know, you are not alone :D

Hey Moon Dancer,

Ah I'm so glad I'm not alone. I thought to myself that I might be mad but T runner gave me the encouragement I needed and I'm defo going for it now. I just went for my first run tonight. Well it was more walk and less run but we've got to start somewhere. Check out the link that T runner left on this thread for "daniels white plan". That's what I started tonight.

T runner, you were right it was tough on the first night but not so tough that i was out off and i think that's the idea of the plan. Feels great to have started something like this. THanks again!

but not so tough that i was out off

Whoops i meant put off

• Advertisement

No problem, glad to hear you went out Pocabella. Im from Strandhill (working in Dublin) and try and do it every year. Its going to be great this year. Both yourself and Moon Dancer will love it. Its a great feeling running down towards the finish at the beach when its nearly finished!

The Daniels plan is really good. It is very do-able all the way and in no time youre able to run for a long stretch and feeling good and fit.

Post here for advice or you can PM me (either of ye) any time ye want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Looks like theres a few noobs to it this year - I stared a thread a few weeks ago to see if it would be possible. So i'm in too.

Currently doing incerasing distance road runs (3/4KM only at the moment) to build up distance before I start into something more specific.

Consider joining in on the 1000 mile challenge, thats what makes me get my arse out the door every night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

I am also planning my virgin run of this race this year. I have already run the distance on flatter roads but plan to do the warriors, this year. I will probably try a few IMRA runs to get use to hills and descents.

It's great to know we're not alone!
    I've actually wrote down the Daniels plan training programme, so I'm def gonna stick to it, I had no structure last time I attempted a run, and running with my brother who is VERY fit, was a joke! haha I had to walk quite a bit & just left him to do some hill sprints alone! :o while I sat down (he doesn't know that! lol)
    T Runner, thanks for the advice, & offer to help us :)
    I'm getting excited about it, I can't wait to start this now :D

stmochtas wrote: »
    I am also planning my virgin run of this race this year. I have already run the distance on flatter roads but plan to do the warriors, this year. I will probably try a few IMRA runs to get use to hills and descents.

Do you mind me asking, what is an IMRA run?

• Advertisement

Check out this web site.

http://www.imra.ie/

Plenty of races to help gain confidence for the Warriors run I reckon, although I have yet to do one.

Hey there,

HAve done two days so far on the Daniels plan. It's so much easier to stick to a definite plan instead of structureless running. Although i am merely speculating as I have never attempted any sort of running!!

Pocabella wrote: »
    Hey there,

HAve done two days so far on the Daniels plan. It's so much easier to stick to a definite plan instead of structureless running. Although i am merely speculating as I have never attempted any sort of running!!

Yay, well done :D
    I went out for a run last night & did about a mile :D lol I know it's not much, but hey, it's a start :D
    I'm gonna start the daniels plan tomorrow :D

Check out this web site.

http://www.imra.ie/

Plenty of races to help gain confidence for the Warriors run I reckon, although I have yet to do one.

Thats a great website,
    Thanks very much, maybe one day I'll be able to participate in regular mountain races!

MoonDancer wrote: »
    Thats a great website,
    Thanks very much, maybe one day I'll be able to participate in regular mountain races!

Well done with the training Moondancer and Pocabella!

There is also a possibility of a hill race on Cairns Hill in Sligo in July about 6 weeks before the Warriors Run. Will be short enough but perfect as part of a buildup for the WR.

Really interested in the Cairns hill one so keep me posted. I took a few photos from the top of scenic drive and put them onto the thread "Photos of where we run".
    Starting at the "Holy well" or tobernalt you would be climbing for 1.5-2 mile to the top of scenic drive.

T runner wrote: »
    Well done with the training Moondancer and Pocabella!

There is also a possibility of a hill race on Cairns Hill in Sligo in July about 6 weeks before the Warriors Run. Will be short enough but perfect as part of a buildup for the WR.

Thank you :D that would be perfect, will you keep us posted about it if you hear more? I don't live far from there :D

T-runner,
    Can I ask a bit of advice?
    Today I started the Daniels plan (5 min warm up, 10X 1 min run,etc...)

I did it about 9:30 am after porridge, coffee, slice of toast & half pint water
    On my 4th run out of the 10 I started getting a bit lightheaded, so I stopped. now I'm usually a person who has to eat every few hours during the day because I have a very fast metabolisim & fairly active, I don't know if it was because I was on a racing track & it was making me dizzy, or maybe I haven't fuelled my body enough because I was starving when I got home about half hour later :confused:
    I'm also a strict Vegetarian but I eat eggs & dairy products
    I'm 5'6 & weigh 8.5 stone (lost half stone since haven't been lifting weights since christmas!)
    I don't get that problem if I run after lunch or evening after a day of food!
    What do you think??

Edit...
    It would be handy for me to be able to get a run in the mornings as I don't have to worry about getting a babysitter so if there is a solution I'd love to hear it! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

What time did you have your breakfast at?
    If I run on an empty stomach I get light headed.
    Also I know people who get light headed if the run just after eating (all your blood rushes to your stomach to absorbe the nutrients, I think).

Maybe have a banana or some sugary carbs just before hand (about 15-20 mins before you go running). This should give you a nice energy boost right as you start off.

What time did you have your breakfast at?
    If I run on an empty stomach I get light headed.
    Also I know people who get light headed if the run just after eating (all your blood rushes to your stomach to absorbe the nutrients, I think).

Maybe have a banana or some sugary carbs just before hand (about 15-20 mins before you go running). This should give you a nice energy boost right as you start off.

I had the porridge and coffee at 8:30 am then toast & water about 15 mins before I went out for the run :confused:

I had the porridge and coffee at 8:30 am then toast & water about 15 mins before I went out for the run :confused:

Hi MoonDancer.

I would say Hail might be right there.
    Sometimes when you are digesting food and exercising you can run out of energy. Your not digesting the food quickly due to the exercise and this means youre not getting any energy released for the exercise, like a catch 22.

You need to eat longer before exercise or have nothing at all or something small (like a banana) before heading out. Dont have anything too sugary though as this stops slow release energy and could cause a mid run slump after the sugar is gone and before the slow release process catches up again.

Another solution might be to have a carbohydrate rich meal as your evening meal the evening before. This should stock your muscles with energy for the morning.

When you try it the next morning go very easy for the first few.

Do you think you may have been down on energy from the day/days before nutrition wise?

• Advertisement

Really interested in the Cairns hill one so keep me posted. I took a few photos from the top of scenic drive and put them onto the thread "Photos of where we run".
    Starting at the "Holy well" or tobernalt you would be climbing for 1.5-2 mile to the top of scenic drive.

I saw those pictures it looks fantastic. I must go for a run there the next time Im home.

I think the Cairns Hill run may be starting at from the race course. The first 400m or so on tarmac the rest is two off -road laps on the hill. Ive never ran up there i'm sorry to say but it should be great. Hopefully there will be a big turnout of people using it for the Warriors run and as a race in its own right.

Will keep you posted.

So T Runner would you care to share some hill-running tips with us.

Specifically running up steep hills. I was playing with stride-length and lean as I jogged up cairns hill on Sunday, I found long strides to be more tiring that shorter steps and I felt leaning into the hill help.
    I also though punching my arms higher seem to give me the feeling of being pulled up the hill.

What techniques as an experience hill-runner do you use?

Descending is a different story and has been discussed before on a few threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I bow to T-runner's lactate buffering knowledge but have always found cycling to be very helpful with regards to running uphills, especially mountain biking although commuting to work is also OK.

As with any other form of running, interval sessions will help too.

Baby steps, always baby steps and always start up the hill 30% slower then you thinnk you need or else you'll be reduced to walking before you top out.

Peterx wrote: »
    I bow to T-runner's lactate buffering knowledge but have always found cycling to be very helpful with regards to running uphills, especially mountain biking although commuting to work is also OK.

As with any other form of running, interval sessions will help too.

Baby steps, always baby steps and always start up the hill 30% slower then you thinnk you need or else you'll be reduced to walking before you top out.

Peterx is right about everything there. Cycling seems to give a major boost climbing power especially for the more shallow climbs where you use your quads.

Pumping the arms does help but is energy sapping and should only be done near the end of a climb.

For a road climb you need to keep your cadence but lower your stride lenght.
    Do not do big steps slowly.

Off road: If you do a "mountain walk" for the steep sections you will use your quads too.
    The runner has to decide if a steep uphill is worth running or not on race day.
    That is the second part of the Knocknarea climb in the case of the warriors run. You will use your calves for steep off road uphill running.

To train for these you need to build climbing endurance in your legs.
    As it is training it doesnt matter how slow you go up the hill the important thing is to get as far as possible up the hill. Do exremely slow with small steps and try and make it up as far as you can. Try and incorporate a few of these climbs into a longish run.

After you have more endurance and you can get through these hills you can work on your climbing speed and fitness with hill intervals. eg 2 mins hard uphill 1 min rest. 6 times starting out up to 10 times for someone on 150k per week(thats not me BTW!).

So for advanced training for the warriors run you might do long running in hills, a mixture of hill intervals, tempo runs, intervals and easy running on the flat with as much cycling as possible. No more than 2 runs on the hills per week to keep leg speed.

For that race build your strenght first and then you can work on you speed closer to the race. IMO strenght and stamina are the first prerequisites for the race followed by road speed.

Heres a section from an article on Hill Running by John Lenihan (6 times Warriors Run winner) from the IMRA site
    On the climb focus on staying relaxed as possible. Train yourself to focus on what you are doing, short steps, knees close together (except on slippery slopes) lifting your legs on to an imaginary stairs, just lifting the legs not pushing forward. Learn to change posture on the run to relieve tired muscles without having to walk. For example, if running with bent knees for a long time when the muscles begin to scream at you, try reverting to running a few steps allowing the knees to straighten. Feel the instant relief as you imagine that you can feel blocked blood flow moving freely to muscles starved of oxygen.Remember stay relaxed, ease up the hill don't fight it and focus. This sounds easier than it is; anyone can concentrate for a few minutes but try holding this focus for a 90 minute race! Conserve energy with as little body movement as possible.

Brilliant information lads. Now for the hard work.

Does anyone feel the Adidas 10 mile in the park too close to the warriors to perform in both?

Hi MoonDancer.

I would say Hail might be right there.
    Sometimes when you are digesting food and exercising you can run out of energy. Your not digesting the food quickly due to the exercise and this means youre not getting any energy released for the exercise, like a catch 22.

You need to eat longer before exercise or have nothing at all or something small (like a banana) before heading out. Dont have anything too sugary though as this stops slow release energy and could cause a mid run slump after the sugar is gone and before the slow release process catches up again.

Another solution might be to have a carbohydrate rich meal as your evening meal the evening before. This should stock your muscles with energy for the morning.

When you try it the next morning go very easy for the first few.

Do you think you may have been down on energy from the day/days before nutrition wise?

WOW! There really is so much I don't know yet! :o
    That makes perfect sense, I did have dinner earlier then usual the day before about 4pm, usually it's between 5 & 6pm. back when I was a competing gymnast, I always had a big dinner of pasta or rice the night before a competition.

To be honest, I've had to take almost 3 months off gym & working out due to a few really bad chest infections & multiple colds right after each other, I lost a whole stone in weight because of it (I'm small enough!) I've been better now about a month so I gave myself a month to recover from it all before I started training again, so maybe that has something to do with it?!

The Daniels plan has 3 days of running days, would you recommend adding more days to that?
    Thank you soo much for the advice, it really is an honour hearing it from the pros :D

Brilliant information lads. Now for the hard work.

Does anyone feel the Adidas 10 mile in the park too close to the warriors to perform in both?

Is it on the week before?

Do only very easy running in the days between to recover. If you can normally do a hard session within a week youll be fine. Not ideal but the stamina and strenght gained might balance it out or work in your favour.

WOW! There really is so much I don't know yet! :o
    That makes perfect sense, I did have dinner earlier then usual the day before about 4pm, usually it's between 5 & 6pm. back when I was a competing gymnast, I always had a big dinner of pasta or rice the night before a competition.

To be honest, I've had to take almost 3 months off gym & working out due to a few really bad chest infections & multiple colds right after each other, I lost a whole stone in weight because of it (I'm small enough!) I've been better now about a month so I gave myself a month to recover from it all before I started training again, so maybe that has something to do with it?!

The Daniels plan has 3 days of running days, would you recommend adding more days to that?
    Thank you soo much for the advice, it really is an honour hearing it from the pros :D

You may have been low in energy allright. I had a bad dose for a few months over the winter as well and still only coming around. A problem I had was I took sugar which slowed my recovery as I wasnt eating enough fruit and veg and pasta. The sugar made me think I was.
    Anyway plenty of fruit, veg and carbs (pasta etc) is good for energy and the immune system.
    Take the sessions nice and easy. I wouldnt do more than 4 a week at the start. 3 is fine for the first few weeks. See how you feel.

Once you start feeling fitter and stronger bring it up to 4 and maybe throw in some gentle abs stuff.

Thanks for calling me a pro Id agree with you only Peterx and a few others know me so wouldnt get away with it! Ive done the warriors a good few times and from Strandhill so get my knowledge that way.

Is it on the week before?

Do only very easy running in the days between to recover. If you can normally do a hard session within a week youll be fine. Not ideal but the stamina and strenght gained might balance it out or work in your favour.

2 weeks between them T-runner so it may be ideal. I may just take it easy for those 2 weeks and do a few easy hill runs and have all the quality work done prior to the first 10 miler.

• Advertisement

Just on this thread for the first time in a few days! Wow thanks for all the brilliant advice everyone.

Re the daniels plan moondancer you can up your days in it defo because it just advises that for example if you train on day four of your week then do the same as on day three.
    I have done three days so far, the third one on grass as i was a little sore. But finding it ok so far. HOpe you get on ok after the lightheadedness. The others' advice seems pretty sound.

Can i just ask, I am currently overweight but am on a doctors program to lose it quickly (13st when i should be 10) DO i risk injuring myself by running with extra weight or should it be ok? Let me know your collective thoughts.

Regarding the Cairns run that sounds great. I used to spend every summer up by Cairns HIll as my grandparents house was on the lake side of the scenic drive hill. I still maintain it's one of the loveliest views I've even seen!

Advertisement