Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ixoy's reading log

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Finished "Nine Princes in Amber" by Roger Zelzany, the first book of ten in his "Chronicles of Amber" series (it's about the length of a novella).

I'm not sure what to make of it - there's a dreamlike quality here as Corwin, the protagonist, drifts between universes. At times vast epic moments are skimmed over in a paragraph (which seems a shame) and yet small conversations consume pages. It's also hard to get a grasp on the world of Amber (or Corwin himself) - I always felt cut off from him.

It's short though and the many worlds here, which remind me a little of the Dark Tower series in a way, have enough to make me go back for the second instalment.

Finished "The Chosen" by Ricardo Pinto, the first book in his "Stone Dance of the Chameleon" trilogy.

This book was an interesting one. Pinto builds up a very original world. The story focuses on Carnelian, one of the Chosen. The Chosen are akin to angels in this world looking down upon all the other races (literally, due to their size, as well as figuratively). The whole society is spun around this, with most people trapped in abject servitude to the Chosen. When it comes time to elect a new God Emperor, Carnelian is forced to travel into the world to the fabled city of the Chosen.

As we travel through this world, Pinto unveils it in intricate detail (at times almost too much so). The layers of the society are built up and there's a beautiful alien quality to it all. It's not like any other culture that I've read in countless fantasy series - built upon strict hierarchies and blood purity, on ancient customs and threats of dominance. It's fascinating.

It does mean though that the plot moves slowly - not very much happens really in the 700 pages. There's enough detail for me to avoid this being an issue but it will be a slow burner for some.

The story is nearly entirely told from Carnelian's perspective and, being naive, he's a good view into the barbaric customs he sees. It can make it hard to empathise with some of the supporting cast, when they brutally murder and mutilate people for merely looking at them. It can be a bit challenging as a result to try and get into an alien mindset and Carnelian is written to try and bridge the two.

The ending is a bit out of the blue - quite sudden, with a pace that doesn't quite match what we've seen before. Still I want to read more because there's so much new here. Just as well as I bought the second book before I had even begun this one!

Finished "Orbus" by Neal Asher, the third book in his Spatterjay sequence.

It continues on with characters from the previous two books and extends the understanding of the Spatterjay virus. In many ways though its mix of high action, huge space battles, and Polity pursuant interests is more reminiscent of his Agent Cormac series. To me that's getting a bit of the best of both worlds but others may miss the single world of Spatterjay and the various monsters there.
    What we get more of are the Prador and watch how they develop, and evolve, through Vrell (who is in the previous novels). He's an interesting character and indeed I'd have labelled the novel "Vrell" sooner than Orbus who doesn't have as significant a role.

The novel is, for the first part, somewhat of a set up for a two-hundred page long action spectacular. It's what Asher does so very well. Some complain that the threats are neutralised a little too easily but I think that its fits in with the evolution we expect (and that is referred to in "Hilldiggers" briefly, set further on from this book).

A pleasing instalment from Mr. Asher and only further proof that I need to keep reading him.

Finished "The Final Empire" by Brandon Sanderson, the first book in his Mistborn trilogy.

This novel was pretty good. Initially it's a little weak as it comes across as a weak heist novel and not a patch on the smooth and witty take of Scott Lynch's books. The type of story changes though and it gets better as the leads try and take down a God-head figure who leads the despotic Final Empire.
    The empire that they are trying to take down is very oppressive, with the nobles treating the common folk - skaa - like dirt. However it's unfortunate (in a sense) that I read "The Chosen" so recently because it did, to my mind, a much better job of showing the sheer cruelty of those who believe they're elevated above others. It meant that I didn't quite feel the same level of despair as Sanderson probably intended. I also didn't feel we learnt enough about the circumstances of the world (although I understand that this will be dealt with in later books).

The characters fortunately are pretty decent. Now they're not outstanding but the lead - Vin - is amicable and her growth is both believable and satisfying. I also like how they handled Kelsier in this and people's reactions to him.

One big thing that got mentioned often was the system of magic which is very well done and original (the closest semblance I can think of is some of the work done in Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles). It's smart and balanced, having defined limitations and rules. It's also very central to the book and is worked in well.

The pacing on the book is good and I read through it fairly quickly. The ending seemed a bit too easy but there's some good foreshadowing for the sequel.
    On a separate note, this is the first book where I found out the author had annotations on each chapter. Reading this "director's commentary" afterwards made me appreciate the book more and understand some of his creative decisions.

Overall, I enjoyed the novel and will definitely read the second. That itself is a good enough recommendation.

Finished "Embassytown" by China Miéville.

It's a difficult one to review. Not because it's bad - it's not. It's excellent in fact. It's just hard to sum up because it's original and yet sounds almost simplistic: Humans living in Embassytown alongside the alien Host. These alien nature of these aliens is what the book centres around and how they communicate. Initially they can only speak Language, unable to understand theoretical concepts or the nuances of language. As the book continues it delves further into the differences in communication for an alien life form and how to bridge the differences between human and alien outlook. It's bizarre but very unique - how many other sci-fi novels feature a character who is idolised by aliens for being a simile?

Miévillle continues his wonderful use of language. The world of Embassytown really feels alien, creeping with a range of bio-engineered oddities. His ability to also delve into communication is superb, given the difficult task he sets himself up for. It really feels like literature here.

If it's flawed it's perhaps that the lead character is a little dull - she's mostly a window onto the alien world. It doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the story though. A story that will linger in my mind long after numerous space opera battles fade away. A challenge at times this is highly recommended (as always with Miéville).

• Advertisement

Finished "The Way of Shadows" by Brent Weeks, the first book in his Night Angel Trilogy.

I had good hopes for this book initially, based on a high score on Amazon's reviews. The enthusiasm was dampened by some lukewarm reception on boards. Unfortunately, lukewarm and indifference is the best I can muster for this - one of the most over-rated fantasy novels that I've read in the last few years.

What's wrong with it? The premise is sound enough - a young orphan (Azoth) becomes the apprentice of the city's best assassin (Durzo) amidst a backdrop of some political intrigue. The problem is nothing is done very well.

For starters the world is poorly drawn. The action is set in one city, which is meant to be a melting pot of the surrounding cultures but we never get a feel for any of this. The city is bland. Even worse is that we don't get a feel for the aggressor nations that threaten them - we barely know anything about them so it's hard to feel them as a source of intimidation.
    Other flaws include the magic system used in it. It feels poorly executed - it doesn't have the thoughtfulness and detail put in in (and I'll be using this as a comparison more than once) Sanderson's "The Final Empire".

Now a poorly drawn world need not necessarily be an issue if there is a good plot woven through it. The plot is probably the strongest element in this book but it feels very disjointed. In the earlier stages of the book there are leaps of years. It creates a poor sense of pacing. There are some interesting twists in the book but they don't generally feel like they were set up well, where you could have picked up on them. It's generally a sense of "ta da!" The final third of the book is substantially better in plotting but it's too little too late.

The characters growth also suffer from this pacing. Skipping years we don't see how characters progress to become the best in their business. Deep friendships form in this time, again with no real feel for how they got there. Since I read it recently, "The Final Empire" springs to mind as a book that also took an orphan, and trained them, but had a much more natural and believable progression.
    Even when the pacing stops jumping years, the characters we're left with are varied. Durzo is just an emo dressed up in assassin's garb. Constantly prattling on about death, and the worthlessness of life he is tiresome to listen to. Azoth is Emo Lite, torturing himself and the readers at time with his self absorption. It's hard to take them seriously at times because I'm rolling my eyes. If your characters need to have streaks of self loathing, then see how much better Joe Abercrombie does it lacing it with black humour.
    One of the more interesting characters is unfortunately cursed with one of the worst names I've seen in all my time reading fantasy. A high-powered pimp, she's called Momma K. I expect her to be releasing a rap single soon.

The other element is Weeks' writing ability. It's perfunctory at best. The dialogue at times is just embarrassing. He has a number of the bad guys cackle manically and his good guys play the emo vibe heavily enough that the Cure would probably wince. Oh and he also used the word "BOOM". He just forgot to have the cartoon birds whirling around characters heads afterwards.

Is there any redeeming features? To be fair it gets a fair bit better in the final third and there are some half decent plot reveals. The problem is I just don't care for the characters, I find the world half-baked and dull and the writing too flat. There's too many good books out there waiting to be read for me to invest in reading the sequel. Not recommended.

Finished "The Quantum Thief" by Hannu Rajaniemi. It's another highly acclaimed debut novel, but unlike Brent Weeks this is deserved.

It's a hard-sf tale of a thief, who is broken out of a high-tech prison, to work on a job in a moving city on Mars. The twist is that the thief's memories are hidden away, waiting to be unlocked. On his trail is a brilliant young detective.

The world of "The Quantum Thief" is full of the high-tech variants of post-humans that Greg Egan and Charles Stross spend time on. There are a number of interesting variants in this whose origins are only slowly revealed as the novel unfolds. This could be frustrating in the sense the reader is a bit lost initially but I found the way Rajaniemi explores the world provided a little bit of an interesting challenge.
    The story and its pacing are spot on, the mystery element working very well as well and the revelations paced in timely fashion. There's also some great hard-sf action scenes, full of the likes of quantum entaglements etc. that the genre can deliver.

Never boring, always intruiging and built on a world with so much more possibilities (there's going to be a sequel), it actually probably deserves the label of being one of the best sf debut novels in years. Very much recommended.

Finished (finally) "Minority Report" the fourth volume in the collected short stories of Philip K. Dick.

Perhaps it's just a reflection of Dick's writing in the '60s but I found it hard to warm to a lot of this collection. Characterisation is weak in genera but that's normal enough. The fact was the ideas, which is his mainstay, didn't grab me as before. Perhaps I felt they didn't explore in the same depth some of the ramifications that I've seen other authors do. Yet at other times the stories themselves went on too long, stretching out a thin idea too far - such as with "Spider's Web". It's probably that you can see the (typically ironic) ending coming and are just waiting for this punch line.
    That's not to say that is is a bad collection. The titular "Minority Report" is good and there's a number of other interesting pieces like "The Days of Perky Pat". Unfortunately I just felt they were imbalanced by stories that dragged too much or that just felt a bit staid, with cardboard characters.

Hopefully the fifth (and final) volume will have a better selection.

Finished "Black House" by Stephen King and Peter Straub. It's a sequel to "Talisman", a collaborative effort I recall enjoying over a decade ago. This one? Not so much.
    The plot - a serial killer running amok in a town - has promise. However there really isn't enough material in this plot to for the book's 800+ page length. Superfluous scenes abound or extend way beyond their welcome length and they're just not interesting. It's also forced to tie in with the Dark Tower series and the ending is just badly done, close to using deus ex machina. The internal logic of the novel seems to be that you can make things up to resolve situations. Is it fantasy or horror at this point is beyond me.

It'd be okay if the characters in this novel were interesting - they're not. I found them clichéd. Anyone who has read a lot of King's novels will see the same cut outs trotted out for the audience. They also seem locked in a time warp and King's mindset - he says write about what you know, but that means that the mindsets of the characters, the range of them, is small. They veer from either being paragons of virtue to comically annoying assh*les. They're not believable either - the hero for everyone (including kids for some reason) is a DJ whose sole acts seem to be trotting out limp phrases (I almost threw the book away when, for the umpteenth time, we heard "Case closed, game over, zip up your fly"). There are a few exceptions - the literate gang of bikers springs to mind - but most of the time I didn't enjoy their company.

And yet it could be okay if the writing fused them well. It doesn't. I'm not sure who is to blame exactly but the book is written in a sort of omnipotent 3rd person style, with the author riding along like a ghost around characters and narrating ("let us leave them now and move to this other idiot here..."). It's frustrating. It's compounded then by King's need to throw in his nonsense catchphrases, having characters words written phonetically, and then twisting it all to link into the Dark Tower when it doesn't need to.

It's not an awful novel but it is far too frustrating to recommend. Where there are interesting passages and people, they're book ended by annoying ones. It demonstrates to me the biggest flaws in Stephen King's writing and I'm now committed to taking a long break from him. Not recommended.

Finished "Dragon Keeper" by Robin Hobb, the first book in the Rain Wild Chronicles duology.

I enjoyed this. It's a slow moving tale, set some years after the Liveship Traders (and the Tawny Man series) about the recently hatched dragons, who are weak sickly things. Three different tales of characters weave into the dragon's lives.
    The storyline is nothing amazing - the novel is quite slow paced so not much happens. However Hobb is a very good writer and is adept at characters. In this one I liked the majority of characters (except for those I wasn't meant to like) and enjoyed reading their thoughts and how they begin to grow. Her writing style is gentle and yet descriptive - she paints the world very well, one I have no trouble picturing.

It's not her best work, but it's like returning to something cosy and familiar. If you're a fan of Hobb, this is recommended. If you're new to her, then I'd suggest starting with the Assassin trilogy and working through the previous nine books first.

• Advertisement

Finished "The Black Company", the first in the Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook.

This is one of the main works that inspired Steven Erikson's Malazan sequence and I can see why. Much like that series, it features a veteran troop with bloodied histories. Like the Malazan armies, people do not use their own names but descriptions like Gobin and Croaker. And there's the same brooding sense of despair.
    However, this novel is more dour in many ways. It's only told from the perspective of one person - the Black Company's perspective. We don't get another viewpoint or break away into a lighter tone which weighs the novel down a little.
    The world created appears quite rich but not with the same depth of history. Initially some of their engagements seem quite episodic but, by the end, Cook does a good job of weaving them all together.

Cook does do a good job of not having to go into laborious details about battles the way some fantasy authors seem overly keen on which does help with the pacing. Indeed sometimes he flies over them too quickly (and literally even). Still there's enough meat to keep me entertained and I'd read the next one (there's 11 in total so far...).

Finished "No Present Like Time" by Steph Swainston, the second book in her Castle series. It's 2.5 years since I read the first book but I was able to return to the world quite easily.
    I genuinely enjoyed this one as it offered something a bit different. Like the first, it follows Comet who holds the position of Messenger for the Emperor San. The Messenger is part of the Circle which contains the very best in their field - the Warrior, the Strongman, the Archer, etc. The reward for those in the position is immortality. However, they can be challenged and - if someone is superior in their chosen field - they take the mantle of that role and the original contender loses their immortality. When the Swordsman role is lost to a new-comer then it sets off a chain of events.
    In a separate thread, a new land is discovered and Comet, and some others, sail to it to bring the people under the wing of the Emperor.

It's told from the first person and Comet is an interesting character. As well as being immortal, he's also winged (the only person who can fly) and a recovering drug addict. He can be very selfish and his perspective can be refreshing in a genre that is still a bit too prone to the innocent farm boy routine.

I find the idea of an immortal meritocracy intriguing. I also liked the Shift, the fantastical world Comet can enter through a drug high. There's some fierce originality here and this book sets up plenty more for future instalments. It's also satisfyingly self-contained (unlike what I felt with the first) with the two plot arcs handled well. Recommended for those who want something a little different.

Finished Charles Stross's "The Clan Corporate", the third book in his Merchant Princes series.

I was a bit disappointed with this one. Not a whole lot happened. The second book promised us interesting developments in three worlds as an economic master plan kicked in. Then here the whole thing is ground to a halt. The passion and smarts of Miriam, the heroine, are not on display here as she is locked down and confined.
    A separate plot line introduces a new angle - the US authorities discovering the idea of world walkers and how to react to this threat. It's a good idea but it's a bit let down by an overuse of abbreviations and jargon.

In fact the whole novel seems like a bit of a lull, a sort of breather between events in the second book and setting it all up for the fourth. It's not boring by any means, but it didn't really grab me. I hope it picks up for the fourth, although I'm apprehensive after some of the reviews here on boards.

Finished Richard Morgan's "The Steel Remains", the first book in his "Land Fit for Heroes" trilogy.

It's a dark, gritty series in the new fashion of the likes of Abercrombie and (to a smaller degree) GRRM. There are three characters, with a shared past, who have separate storylines taking place in a land where older forces of legend are appearing once more. It's not particularly original but its done fairly well and the invaders are reasonably fresh.
    The characters have their own complex moral codes, particularly the lead Ringil. I appreciated the work Morgan did with his character for a number of reasons and would like to see how it progresses in the future.

The novel's fairly short by the genre's standard (c. 430 pages) meaning that the pacing is nice and swift, with no time to be bored or - as some authors do - fall into flowery descriptions.

Recommended for those who are fans of the sub-genre of gritty fantasy.

On a rare non-sci/fantasy note, I finished Lynne Truss's "Eats, Shoots & Leaves". As an admirer of the grammar Nazis, I found this book quite amusing. Truss knows she's a pedant but she's able to make this humorous, especially her outrage over crimes against grammar. Some of these crimes are all too familiar to myself. Contrary to what she says at the beginning, her book is quite informative from both the perspective of a history of the subject as well as reminding you of the rules of grammar (and their evolution).

Recommended for anyone, and their friends, whose sensibilities would have be enraged if I had written: "Recommended for anyone and they're friends who's sensibilities would of been enraged if I had written."

Finished "Things That Never Happen" by M. John Harrison. It's unfortunately aptly named - things never happen in this short story collection. I found far too many stories to be far too dull.

Harrison can write - he creates very clear descriptions. They're vivid but they're nearly always describing the mundane life. The worlds in these short stories are always dour, bleak and downbeat. Primarily told in the first person, there's a certain uniformity to them. The sci-fi elements, if present at all, are tenuous at best - hinted at, mentioned in a sideline. Now this might work for some, the idea of the memories or echoes of ideas but for me it just grew boring. Yes, there's some decent short stories in there but too often my eyes grew unfocused and glossed over the words trying to see if anything would actually happen.

Maybe some people will appreciate his use of language, despite the leaden pacing. I couldn't and won't be revisiting this author.

Finished "A Dance With Dragons", George R.R. Martin's fifth volume in his "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

I really can barely say a word about this, due to the risk of spoilers. What I will say is that overall I enjoyed it and it was good to visit some characters again whose stories I haven't seen in over ten years as well as some who I've only been three years from...
    However, the book does get bogged down a little with the huge cast and - given it's 1000+ pages - not much really happens. A bit of Jordan syndrome going on in that regard. It's certainly not like "A Storm of Swords". There's enough pieces put in play though that "The Winds of Winter", when it's released in 2030, should be good and more action packed.

Finished "The Diary of a Dr Who Addict" by Paul Magrs. More of a novellete than a novel, it charts the "coming of age" years of a Doctor Who-obsessed teenager growing up in the '80s and how he reacts to the changes in his life and those around him.
    Being a fan of the show I enjoyed the many references to "Doctor Who" but there's a lot more to it. It's a good tale about adolescence and feeling like you don't fit in with those around you. Jumping in at various points in these formative years, the narration is crisp and clear and I'd recommend it as a nice, nostalgic read.

Finished "The Quiet War" by Paul MacAuley. Set a couple of hundred years from now, it deals with the growing ideological divide between the inhabitants of Earth and the Outer Colonies of the solar system. Earth, recovering from a global eco-disaster and war, is shying away from technology and importantly interfering with nature whereas the outer colonies are beginning to embrace the possibilities of genetic splicing for both people and plants.

The novel is structured in a way that it is gradually building up to the quiet war. This means that it suffers from being quite slow initially. There's also a bit too much discussion of GM tech at this point (unsurprisingly it seems MacAuley is a botanist) which I found rather dull.
    The pace does pick up and begins to finally knit the various plot lines together. At this point it gets a lot better but it never achieves the kinetic energy that Neal or Peter F. Hamilton achieve.

The characters aren't particularly well drawn, with only Sri standing out as a highly-intelligent "gene wizard" who will do anything to advance herself and protect her children (one who is her own creation). The rest are generally okay, just a bit bland to my mind.

It's not a bad novel overall - just a little dull. It's a bit too slow, the characters a bit too bland, and the ideas just not fresh or riveting enough. I'll probably read the sequel - it's just that it won't be very high up on my list of books to get through.

Finished Daniel Abraham's "A Shadow in Summer", the first book in his Long Price quartet.

It is set around a city's control of the cotton trade through use of a bound creature - an andat - that is controlled by what is referred to as a poet. The plot is around trying to destabilise this control as the characters become embroiled in it.

What stood out for me in this is Abraham's strength with characters. It's unusual to have a strong middle-aged woman in a lead role but he does it with aplomb and yet, unlike other books, he makes her believable too. She's an overseer not the typical grizzled veteran. The other characters are all relatable to some degree or the other. Indeed Abraham makes the villains, such as they are, understandable too - they're weak willed people, not evil. This human approach makes it much easier to get involved with the story.

The story itself is somewhat slow moving seeing as it's somewhat setting pieces up for the next few books (or so I assume). Abraham though makes sure to balance his time with each of his characters unusually well. With nobody's story dominating, it means no story dragged and I read it quite swiftly.

For something a bit more low-key, populated with good characters, I'd definitely recommend this. I'm looking forward to seeing where the next few books go.

• Advertisement

Finished "The Gabble and Other Stories" by Neal Asher. It's a short-story collection of tales set in the Polity universe, in which nearly all his novels are set (bar "Cowl" and the forthcoming "The Departure").

There's not too much to say about this, other than it'll appeal to fans of Asher. I'm not sure how much it would appeal to those who've never read him before though: 'The Gabble' for example will be enjoyed more by those who've read about the Gabbleducks in Asher's other works. None of the tales are bad, although some are a bit weak ("Snow in the Desert" for example). Others have the usual mix of nasty alien critters Asher loves (such as "Putrefactors"). All have good action sequences, the high-octane thrills that Asher writes well.

If you've enjoyed the Polity universe then I definitely recommend it. If not, I'd say read the Agent Cormac sequence first to get the full value from this.

Finished "The Well of Ascension" by Brandon Sanderson, the second book in his Mistborn trilogy.

Really enjoyed this. Sanderson has a gift for pacing - we're thrown straight into some action and throughout he always knows when to break up some dialogue at the right juncture. The magic system used - Allomancy - works very well and is open to inventive scenes but somewhat believable as there's a (vague) grounding in physics underpinning them.

As good as the pacing and action is, it wouldn't work without some good characterisation and the the primary viewpoints are that of Elend and Vin. Elend gets a lot more "screen time" than the first book which is good as he was one of my favourites there and how he reacts to his responsibilities is believable and human. The same goes for Vin - both have their insecurities and strengths. Many fantasy characters are interesting, but not that many are people you feel you could relate to despite their powers. Sanderson has that touch.

The novel also builds to a very enjoyable finale that really puts in a cliff hanger for the third book which I will absolutely read.
    A series worth getting into.

Finished "The White-Luck Warrior" by R. Scott Bakker, the second book in his Aspect-Emperor trilogy.

This is a bleak book. Bakker's world of Earwa and Kellhus is amongst the darkest I've ever read. But it's an interesting world - one on the verge of a Second Apocalypse, where a huge army [the Great Ordeal] march to stop the rise of the No-God.

There's a real sense of epic in this book. The scale of the armies and their enemy [the Horde] is very effectively communicated. The power of the sorceries rained down is suitably gratifying - magic rarely goes on this scale in fantasy novels.

For all that though, this is a very philosophical book - much like the preceding book and trilogy. Unlike many authors though, Bakker is actually capable of delivering these insights in an intelligent and thought provoking manner. Yes, to some people there might be too much inward (navel even) gazing but it's part of what I expect, and want, from this series.

The characters we stay with are limited - there's only 5 or 6 of them. Bakker's style means we really get into their minds, including their many many flaws. He's got a good gift for descriptive language with vivid imagery - you can taste the ashes of the world he's conjured, feel the pain.

In many ways, being a middle book of a trilogy, this is clearly a bridging book. It didn't matter to me - I enjoyed it. The series dark philosophical bent will definitely not appeal to everyone. However, if you liked the Prince of Nothing trilogy, then you will definitely appreciate this series too.

Finished "Reamde" by Neal Stephenson.

This novel starts out about a "gold farming" virus used in a MMORPG game - T'rain (basically "World of Warcraft") and the attempts of various individuals to stop it. We start delving into interesting areas such as the development of the world, touch on the virus, etc. So far, we're quite like typical Stephenson with its nerd quota.
    And then it shifts. A lot. It takes a right-angle and becomes a techno-thriller, sliding closer to just being an all-out thriller. It's almost like something out of "24" with long extended action sequences (one such sequence taking about 200 pages).
    These action scenes are very well written. Stephenson has a gift for clarity here and I was able to picture what was going on in the world at all time. Not all authors can accomplish this. He's also a greater pacer - you're never bored.

The characters are generally well drawn, without ever being too deep. It's not something I expect either from Stephenson as normally he's spending an equal amount of time tackling large concepts. And that's what's missing here for me... this novel is lacking in the large scale. I had issues with the Baroque cycle but I could never decry it for lack of ambition. I loved "Anathem" which was challenging and thought provoking. "Reamde" is neither - it's a lot of fun, entertaining and would make a great movie / tv show ... but it's missing the something unique that he offered in "Cryptonomicon", "Snow Crash" or "The Diamond Age". Disappointing? Only in that it wasn't what I expected, not that it's bad. Hopefully, he'll cater for the nerdier side more so next time.

Finished "The Standing Dead", the second book in Ricardo Pinto's "Stone Dance of the Chameleon" trilogy.

This book is quite different in many respects to the first instalment, "The Chosen" as Carnelian (whose perspective occupies the whole book bar the first chapter) is wrenched from his world of comfort into the world of those he would have previously considered savages.

This book continues the trend of an original world being created. Those he saw as "savages", become the Plainsmen that Carnelian comes to known and understand. The world they live in is detailed very well, and unlike many other fantasy novels, I can't fin any similarities with existing series. That's a good thing.
    The pacing then is a little slow, at least initially. What drives it though is how Carnelian reacts to the people and his new circumstances, contrasted against how his old lover Osidian does. Their reactions with the people, and the consequences, are what drives the novel pushing it towards a cliff hanger for the final part.

Definitely recommend this series - it's thoughtful, character driven, and the plot is convincingly unfolded. Looking forward to reading the third (already purchased) book.

Finished "At the Gates of Darkness" by Raymond E.Feist, the second book in his Demonwar duology and the 26th Riftwar series book.

I saw one reviewer describe this book as "comfort food" and I think that's an apt description. In many ways this book is sort of rubbish: The writing is pedestrian (and there's too many typos) - the word "suddenly" appears once a page it seems. The newer characters are a little dull. There's almost too much exposition.

Feist has had a perchance, particularly in recent books, to ret-con the world a bit, revising what we thought we knew with something else: You thought X did that in Book 15? Ah-ha turns out it was actually Y!

And yet.. It's also got characters I've followed for years - Pug, in particular, I've been reading for 20 years now. I like the character and the world of Midkemia. It's a bag of crisps - it's light, it's kind of bad, but I can't help myself.

One small thing though: Don't pay too much for this. I paid about €5 for the e-book version. If I had paid the original hardback price for this slim 300-page book, I'd have felt ripped off.

Finished "Oceanic" by Greg Egan, a collection of "short" stories (they're close to novella length, often running 50-60 pages). Generally these stories showcase what Egan does best: Neat ideas backed with hard (albeit speculative) science.

Some of these are based in his universe from one of the titles I haven't read (Incandescence) and they were quite sharp. Others are a little weaker ("Dark Integers", "Steve Fever") but never dull (well except for "Oracle").

The titular story - "Oceanic" - won the Hugo award and it's well deserving. It's probably the most humane piece in the collection (the rest tend to have fairly thin characterisation) and it approaches the idea of religion vs science quite respectfully. Well worth reading it (it's - legally - free online too if you search for it).

If you like Egan's short fiction then this is definitely worth seeking out. It's maybe a little weaker than the previous collections but contains more than enough for fans of harder science fiction.

Finished "A Betrayal in Winter" by Daniel Abraham, the second book in his Long Price quartet.

It picks up 14 years after the first (an unusual length of time) meeting up with some old characters and some new. This time the plot is around succession and characters are forced to address their pasts. The book's plot isn't particularly convoluted but it is executed well - rather than take short cuts with magic spells, or the like, characters are forced to use believable circumstances and skills to work out the betrayals that are going on (and which the reader is informed of from the start). This leads to more interesting characters as it makes them more approachable.
    I would say though that it isn't quite as neat as the first book - the characters didn't involve me quite as much (well the new ones anyway). Now it makes sense that Abraham doesn't repeat himself ... I just found more depth in the first set.

I still enjoyed this series and will read the 3rd and 4th books (already bought).

Finished Joe Abercrombie's "The Heroes".
    It's another win for Abercrombie. This time around the story is probably the weakest - it's a battle spread over three days between the Union and the North (two factions covered in his previous work but which you don't need to read to enjoy this). So essentially it's about the different feints and strategies used.
    That's not the point - this book is more about the horror, and even more so, the pointlessness of war and the "virtue" of heroism. The characters, some of which we've met in passing, are generally well drawn. They're laced with bleak black humour. Concepts like honour and right/wrong are mercilessly attacked and examined during the course of the battle.
    It's also witty, in a very black humour sort of way.

It's a great introduction to Abercrombie if you've not read him before and great for fans who have. I might have preferred a stronger plot at times but still thought this was one of the best books of 2011 (although I've only read about four of those published this year...).

• Advertisement

Finished "The Parasite" by Neal Asher. It's one of his early works, only available now on Kindle or out-of-print (and expensive) paperback. It's non-Polity based, but it's interesting to see the early roots of some of his later work here (golems, AI, augs).

The prose is a little bit sloppy at times but the action scenes bear some of the trademarks that Asher fans like - they don't reach the peaks of later works but there's still the adrenalin and violent action fans expect.

If you're new to Asher, there's better works to introduce you to him but if you're a fan than you should get this for your collection.

Advertisement