Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying Ring in NYC - Cash or Card?

• 22-10-2014 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi all just wondering what would be the best option here.

Looking at buying in NYC but wondering what the best route to take is? Any got direct experience of this?

Will using a card serious impact on bargaining power? or does that even matter anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Using a card over there has a transaction fee from the bank and if a CC then from Visa or mastercard too. Could be as much as 2.5% of the cost of your purchase. Just so you know :)

If you know exactly what youre getting there, then go with card. Be wary that you are carrying a lot of cash around with you then! If you ARE going to go with card, ask to be charged in Euros as it gets over that transaction fee. Cash is a bargaining tool though in anywhere that isnt Cartier or Tiffany. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

Are rings cheaper in New York. I was thinking of bringing one with me for a proposal in December. Have you any info on this?

Yes, rings are considerably cheaper in NY than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Coldplayer

Are they really, I'm torn between the two.

I'm going to go to NYC armed to buy, be it cash or card, but from what I've seen online etc. the price diff isn't that dramatic.

• Advertisement

They are much more open to the haggle, in store than they are here. Thats why the cash is a good idea, but just be careful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

I bought my fiancée ring in New York, I'd never planned on buying it, it just happened by chance

What I will say is don't be rushed into a decision if your not sure, the sales guys in the jewlers are very good and talk the talk, when they feel they are losing the sale they will likely pass you onto another colleague!

And main tip is ALWAYS haggle on price

I got my finances ring for $4,000, was originally quoted $6,500 but did some hard negotiating using lines like "my plane leaves tonight for ireland so that's my best offer here and now" so got it for $4k and had it valued in Dublin for €12,500 so obviously delighted with that

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Might also add I paid using my PTSB debit card

Didn't find the exchange rate bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Coldplayer wrote: »
    Are they really, I'm torn between the two.

I'm going to go to NYC armed to buy, be it cash or card, but from what I've seen online etc. the price diff isn't that dramatic.

Huge difference between Ireland and NYC.

What are you looking at online? A well positioned photo can make a 0.3 carat look like a 1 carat ring. Big difference in real life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

There's a daily limit of €2500 on PTSB debit card. Plus call them before you go and tell them or the system will think it's a scam and block the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

I think cash might be the way to go so. Who's going to let a wedge leave their shop if there is any profit in it for them ; )

Huge difference between Ireland and NYC.

What are you looking at online? A well positioned photo can make a 0.3 carat look like a 1 carat ring. Big difference in real life.

I'm not sure I understand. Like for example I was looking at one ring that's 1 carat. In NYC I find you're looking at parting with $8k for such a ring, ok so you are going to haggle on that so it may get to $7.5k.

What are looking at paying for a 1 carat ring here? €6k plus?

As the time is fast approaching! anyone else got opinions on this? or indeed any experience of haggling with NYC jewellers???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

As the time is fast approaching! anyone else got opinions on this? or indeed any experience of haggling with NYC jewellers???

The jeweller we are buying from in NYC next week has already told me that the cash discount will only be 2% but I'm hoping that we get a slightly better deal face to face. I'm bringing cash for the purchase anyhow as they will add on the credit card surcharge for you.

kceire wrote: »
    The jeweller we are buying from in NYC next week has already told me that the cash discount will only be 2% but I'm hoping that we get a slightly better deal face to face. I'm bringing cash for the purchase anyhow as they will add on the credit card surcharge for you.

You have to get more than 2% off!!! That would be an absolute joke!

You have to get more than 2% off!!! That would be an absolute joke!

Very possible. But I didn't want to tell the other poster to expect X% discount and then to be disappointed when they got there.

I'll know more by Friday anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

in usa they add 500% profit to jewelry sales you might be better off in uk
    credit card is safer,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd pay by card. Absolute madness to be walking with that much folding...

Do you not have to declare the cash when going out anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I'd pay by card. Absolute madness to be walking with that much folding...

Do you not have to declare the cash when going out anyway?

Not if its under 10,000 USD and all you have to do if its over, is to have your FX slips from the bank to show its a legit source of cash

I would prefer to go with the card, believe me.

But AIB have a transaction charge of 1.75% or so! plus I believe there is a card surcharge in NYC as well?

Plus cash has to have strong bargaining power???

• Advertisement

I would prefer to go with the card, believe me.

But AIB have a transaction charge of 1.75% or so! plus I believe there is a card surcharge in NYC as well?

Plus cash has to have strong bargaining power???

I'm with avant card and their charges are +2.65% then whatever currency conversion on the day is. I will be PAYG with cash as you would be talking about €300 in savings.

Advertisement