Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wearing red to a wedding?

• 21-10-2014 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I bought this dress for my boyfriends sisters wedding. My aunt remarked this evening that apparently it's bad etiquette to wear red. I never would have thought that. I can't do a link but it's the red felix maxi dress in Coast. Let me know what ye think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Never heard that! My sister is going to a wedding next week and is wearing red. Have seen lots of red at previous weddings

Lol just did a search and seemingly it means you have slept with the groom!!!!! Never heard it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

I've never heard it, so even if it is a faux-pass, I'm sure you'll still get away with it if it's not widespread!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Trudyooo

Oh my god!!! I did not and would not .. Ever!! Im a bit anxious because it's long and it's backless too. Spent all my money on it now so don't have the same budget for a new one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think the idea is that it can be very striking and so draw attention away from the bride. honestly the only one I'd heard before is not to wear green.
    If your dress isn't too eye catching or loud I should think it would be fine

is it this one?
    http://johnlewis.scene7.com/is/image/JohnLewis/001635304alt1?$prod_exlrg$

I think that looks ok

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭MarieOC

My aunt claims it's bad luck to wear red - but if you avoided all the things she claims are bad luck you wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning!

The only colour I'd avoid wearing to a wedding is white (cept for at my own of course),

• Advertisement

Yes that's the dress. It's not as vibrant as this picture. It's very hard to find a dress without the back out these days. I was thinking of putting an insert in the back of the dress so as I could wear a bra.. Would this look stupid? Maybe an embellished silver piece of fabric sown in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

First time I've heard that! Have seen lots of people wearing both reds and greens at weddings. No one ever batted an eye lid. There are lot of old traditions that some far few in between people seem to somehow remember, but rest assured the rest of the normal crowd are unaware of all these weird superstitions and rules.
    That dress looks perfectly fine. Everyone dresses up for a wedding. It's not to upstage the bride. If you're not too busty, just wear a stick-on bra and a pashmina for throwing on over your back for earlier in the day if you'd feel more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,052 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In my day, black and white were the colours that you weren't supposed to wear to a wedding. White I can see - that's reserved for the bride - and black I can sort of see. Red? Pshaw! Go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

FFS people can be rediculous.
    Wear whate ver you want and don't listen to old wives tales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Never heard this before. I have worn red to a number of weddings.
    Stunning dress. I am sure you could insert some material in the back if your conscious about it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bananas10

I have heard about not wearing red to a wedding before but it was actually from a photographer who said that anyone who wears red in a wedding photo (mainly the group shot I suppose) stands out an awful lot and draws the eye away from the bride.
    This was after I had just worn red to a wedding myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Matteroffact

Sur' isn't it the tradition that the bride wears white as a sign of her virginity, and how many virgins get married these days? I have heard of that idea not to wear red but once again that is an old tradition and it doesn't apply in this day and age. I have been to a couple of weddings where the mother of the bride wore red, so think no more about it. The red dress is beautiful by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,248 ✭✭✭✭fits

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think the idea is that it can be very striking and so draw attention away from the bride. honestly the only one I'd heard before is not to wear green.
    If your dress isn't too eye catching or loud I should think it would be fine

Why shouldn't you wear green?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭pooch90

Green is meant to be a colour of mourning I think.
    At our wedding MOG wore red, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
    That is a stunning dress, wear with pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Wear it. There is a whole list of colours including black and red that eitquette says you are not supposed to wear to a wedding. The only one to follow is not to wear white or a very light colour that could be mistaken for cream!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,248 ✭✭✭✭fits

pooch90 wrote: »
    Green is meant to be a colour of mourning I think.
    First I heard of it! So black, white, green and red are all forbidden... might be easier to say what colours you can wear!

Great stuff.. Im not as worried now. i suppose i can see the point on the eye being drawn to red in a photo but still think its ridiculous when the bride will obviously be wearing the most amazing dress there. i just wouldnt want the bride thinking i was trying to outdo her. hardly.

while i have ye here...i have a black bag and sandals to match this. but would silver be nicer?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

I was photographing a wedding when a bridesmaid came up to the bride and said" x is wearing the same dress as me" to which to bride replied " She'll just have to go home and change then..."

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭MarieOC

To me wearing the same dress as a bridesmaid is worse than red/green/black - if it happened me I'd be taking myself home to change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

almorris wrote: »
    I was photographing a wedding when a bridesmaid came up to the bride and said" x is wearing the same dress as me" to which to bride replied " She'll just have to go home and change then..."

Oh God !! I would die if I was wearing the same as a bridesmaid though :)

I have worn red to a wedding before it was my favourite dress I ever wore to a wedding. I've never heard of that before. :) your dress is beautiful, wear it and enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

michellie wrote: »
    Oh God !! I would die if I was wearing the same as a bridesmaid though :)

Especially since most bridesmaids dresses are hideous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

fits wrote: »
    Why shouldn't you wear green?:confused:

bad luck

http://www.thefashionpolice.net/2011/09/pippa-middelton-wears-green-to-wedding.html

That's a really old one mind - I wouldn't expect anyone to stick to it, it's just an old superstition I remember :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

MarieOC wrote: »
    To me wearing the same dress as a bridesmaid is worse than red/green/black - if it happened me I'd be taking myself home to change

Could easily happen though if the bridesmaids dresses were bought somewhere like Monsoon and that wasn't known by the guests beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Happened to the MIL recently, and she went back to the hotel and changed. In fairness she looked great in that dress, so she'd have upstaged the bridesmaids LOL!
    Honestly, I don't think anyone, other than a handful of the older generation, is aware of these superstitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 msdaisy7

I was recently at a wedding and there was a lot of red dresses, I would say it depends on the age of the majority of the guests, a wedding with a lot of younger people wouldn't bat an eye lid

Could easily happen though if the bridesmaids dresses were bought somewhere like Monsoon and that wasn't known by the guests beforehand.

This is why brides put on the invite - no dresses from Coast, Monsoon etc. Head over to the wedding forum and see people giving out about this on the invite! I don't see a problem with it myself as I would keel over if I turned up in the same dress as the bridesmaid.

Told my sister about the 'sleeping with groom' thing and she thought it was hilarious. I told her to wink at him a few times next week lol. She isn't changing her outfit! :p

Just realised I am in the wedding forum duh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

fits wrote: »
    First I heard of it! So black, white, green and red are all forbidden... might be easier to say what colours you can wear!

I was told I shouldn't wear blue to a wedding before as well (while I was wearing my nice new blue shirt at my friends wedding).

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Dovies wrote: »
    This is why brides put on the invite - no dresses from Coast, Monsoon etc.

Do people actually do this???!!! Please say no!!!

cactusgal wrote: »
    Do people actually do this???!!! Please say no!!!

Yes of course they do. If you buy your bridesmaids dresses off the rack you don't want guests turning up in the same dress!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Dovies wrote: »
    Yes of course they do. If you buy your bridesmaids dresses off the rack you don't want guests turning up in the same dress!

Bizarro, I know I wouldn't give a toss what my guests were wearing, but I also wouldn't want to have bridesmaids, either, so that's all lost on me. Each to their own!

Advertisement