Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Gibraltar

• 01-10-2014 10:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭

Somethings come up and I've got the chance to move, has anyone been there? What's it like? Is it a livable country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The monkeys are dirty little bastards. One of them made a grab at my wifes diddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Walt setting up a new laboratory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Bring me back a stick of rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭CZ 453

It's a kip and La linea is like some Mexican town from a Tarantino movie. There is a lovely Irish bar that does nice food on the marina. The border crossing can be ridiculous when the Spanish want it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Live in Spain (not La Linea!) commute to Gib. The rents is Gib are huge. Check out places from Estepona to Sotogrande. Manivla is in the middle of these two places and the commute is about 20 minutes drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was there but almost got shot by the SAS so I left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

biko wrote: »
    I was there but almost got shot by the SAS so I left.

Hi mairead

The monkeys are dirty little bastards. One of them made a grab at my wifes diddy

I'd take that as a compliment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

My OH worked there and lived in Spain, commuting across. I've been there and didn't like it. That part of Spain on the other hand is very nice and I'd love to live there.

I presume the job is gambling industry related?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Is that still the first thing that comes to the minds of many Irish people when they hear the word 'Gibraltar' are those three provos?

Do you still think a lot of people in Gibraltar when they see/hear an Irish person the first thing that comes to their minds are those three provos?

Is that incident still that 'infamous' over there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

She only got the one? I believe 3 is now the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Is that still the first thing that comes to the minds of many Irish people when they hear the word 'Gibraltar' are those three provos?

Do you still think a lot of people in Gibraltar when they see/hear an Irish person the first thing that comes to their minds are those three provos?

They still do think of it. The soldiers stationed there would have no bother mentioning it as well. That said there is a thriving Irish bar on the marina that is very popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sure that could happen anywhere. Ye have to keep them covered or all sorts will besiege her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Never been but haven't heard too many glowing reviews of the place. Just looking at it on Maps, forgot how small it is. Only has three roads out of town to Spain...that all join the same road anyway! I'd say it must feel a bit claustrophobic, almost, to live there.

If I was in that area of Spain, I'd pop over for a nose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Somethings come up and I've got the chance to move, has anyone been there? What's it like? Is it a livable country?

It's an absolute kip of a place. Don't even consider living there but as mentioned if you can get something around Estepona and are earning enough coin for commute, tolls and car parking daily then consider doing the in and out of there job. Do not even consider the daily border crossing in a car as an option. You'd want to love your job no matter what. Farcical and bizarre little dump of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I bet she had crips crumbs in her bra.

Monkeys love crips

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

That runway there is epic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I bet she had crips crumbs in her bra.

Monkeys love crips
    Im not sure that she would fit gang members in her bra now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Country ?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

DO IT!

But don't stay there on your weekends. Take a taxi to Tarifa or Algeciras and then take the ferry across the Straits to Tangiers in Morocco. You'll be there in an hour. Stay there on your weekends eating olives, strolling the streets and the exploring the souk....better than listening to the knobs in the pub in Gibba yapping about the Empire and how the Spanish can't do a faaaaaaakin' thing roight, Saaaan!

• Advertisement

It's an absolute kip of a place. Don't even consider living there but as mentioned if you can get something around Estepona and are earning enough coin for commute, tolls and car parking daily then consider doing the in and out of there job. Do not even consider the daily border crossing in a car as an option. You'd want to love your job no matter what. Farcical and bizarre little dump of a place.

Even if it was a dump it's a huggge pay rise I'd have to consider if a pain in the hole commute is worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

some ridiculous and ignorant posts on here as usual :)
    Gibraltar has a lot going for it , personally i think it presents itself as a dump to protect itself from morons from the UK wanting to live there , it is rather small after all.
    If the OP still has the offer or is undecided then please PM me and ill try help in any way i can.

the Irish bar is "Biancas" , nice waterside restaurant owned by a couple from Dublin (well was when i was last there)
    Also an Irish Bar on the main street , was owned by a couple from the North but changed hands since.
    Street called Irish Street with a few good bars on it , Star bar just off it worth a mention if it still does the steak sambo.

ive very fond memories of my time there and the good people i met , the place opens up to you after a time.
    Dont be put off by the comments here , also La Linea is convenient and much cheaper , i also lived there and didnt mind as i worked in Gib and spent weekends at the coastal resorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Gibraltar has a lot going for it , personally i think it presents itself as a dump to protect itself from morons from the UK wanting to live there , it is rather small after all.
    If the OP still has the offer or is undecided then please PM me and ill try help in any way i can.

the Irish bar is "Biancas" , nice waterside restaurant owned by a couple from Dublin (well was when i was last there)
    Also an Irish Bar on the main street , was owned by a couple from the North but changed hands since.
    Street called Irish Street with a few good bars on it , Star bar just off it worth a mention if it still does the steak sambo.

ive very fond memories of my time there and the good people i met , the place opens up to you after a time.
    Dont be put off by the comments here , also La Linea is convenient and much cheaper , i also lived there and didnt mind as i worked in Gib and spent weekends at the coastal resorts.
    Yeah, but if you're not a barfly? Once you sober up you rapidly realise that Gib presents itself as a dump because, well, it is.

OK the pros: cheap fuel for your car/boat, cheap jewellery, Morrisons,... nope, that's it. Maybe cheap cigarettes if you're so pissed off with the place that you decide to smoke yourself to death.

Anyone that tries to present La Linea as anything other than a complete kip is not to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Firstly, the op posted in AH. Standard replies in fairness.
    Secondly, when you have a problem with a post - report it & refrain from making snide remarks on-thread.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

OP I'd take anything said here with a pinch of salt, go on to an English ex-pat website for mostly impartial views. A lot of Irish people don't like the place simply because it is ruled by Britain.

I was once there for a day trip and really liked the place but maybe its different living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Is it like East Belfast in the sun?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

OP I'd take anything said here with a pinch of salt

shortly followed by...
    A lot of Irish people don't like the place simply because it is ruled by Britain.

indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The Gibraltar accent does my head in. It's like my brain is constantly trying to place the accent somewhere in Britain even though I know it's a mixture going back a couple of hundred years and it can't be placed in Britain at all.

I've been there once and it was interesting place to visit for sure but if I was looking to live in that neck of the woods I'd live in Spain and well away from LaLinea which is indeed an utter hole.

Gibraltar felt somehow claustrophobic to me. There's a series about the place on Channel 5 by the way. It's reality TV so may not be all that real.

• Advertisement
Advertisement