Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bronze Age sword recovered from River Shannon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

davycc wrote: »

Is it just me, or is it very hard to make out exactly what the gentleman is holding? All I can see is a very dark object against a black background that has a truncated [broken-off] handle. It looks, from the little that I can make out, rather like the Dowris [Co. Offaly] bronze sword, of which I have made two replicas. [See Page 154, 'Pre-Christian Ireland' - Peter Harbison ISBN 0-500-27809-1, Thames and Hudson 1998].

Does anybody have better pics?

tac

PS - I assume that 'Driving club' is a deliferous mistale?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

tac foley wrote: »

"PS - I assume that 'Driving club' is a deliferous mistale?

...if it is they repeat it twice in the article!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Is it just me, or is it very hard to make out exactly what the gentleman is holding? All I can see is a very dark object against a black background that has a truncated [broken-off] handle. It looks, from the little that I can make out, rather like the Dowris [Co. Offaly] bronze sword, of which I have made two replicas. [See Page 154, 'Pre-Christian Ireland' - Peter Harbison ISBN 0-500-27809-1, Thames and Hudson 1998].

Does anybody have better pics?

tac

PS - I assume that 'Driving club' is a deliferous mistale?

There are 3 pics. Second is a close up.

Ah, being a cheapskate, I only get the one image. Must be an aol thing, I guess.

I've just had a look on mrs tac's laptop and see the other two pics, and it has some similarity with the Dowris sword except that the pronounced leaf-shape is absent although the grip quillons are similar. It is a very beautiful object, and now perhaps the poor diver/driver will be able to buy himself a pair of socks so that he doesn't have to go around barefoot.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Ah, being a cheapskate, I only get the one image. Must be an aol thing, I guess.

Click the arrow to the right edge of the photo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Jist cuz he couldna spoke proper Englund, Huh!

Reoil wrote: »
    Click the arrow to the right edge of the photo?

Yup, as I explone above, if I use anything except aol it's a breeze.

Anyhow, none of my images has a url so I can't load them directly here like I can with most every other site I use, else I would have been doing it for the four or five years I've been posting here.

tac

Advertisement