Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

On the shape of food affecting its taste...

Options
  • 24-10-2004 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed this?

To give an example, Cadbury's chocolate tastes very different to me in (1.) the standard 8-squared bars, (2.) the 4 squared thin bars you get in multi-packs and (3.) easter eggs.

I wonder why this is so? Could the shape affect the way the chocolate melts in the mouth and the way the nose picks senses the smell of the food or what? Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I sort of agree with your theory. Drinking pepsi out of a bottle taste way better than out of a can, and its sort of the same thing, the 500 ml tastes well better than the 750ml.

come to think of it, a sliced apple tastes better than just biting it, and also rolling bread up into balls instead of just a slice is better, i think you mite be on to sumtin here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

i think with cadburys its just that the big thick chunks of it are never as nice as the thinner versions - easter egg cadburys always tastes the nicest.

yup, same with coke out of different size bottles/cans. Always diff.

would it be that the different products although basically the same are manufactured in different machines/different places etc. so the taste is different? - Thats' the frightening thing about mcdonalds, their food tastes identical anywhere in the world.
    also rolling bread up into balls instead of just a slice is better

Too true. I did this all the time as a kid, still do it now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

well there is icing sugar Vs. normal stuff..

But Cadbury's chocolate varies a lot, most of the very large bars are made in the UK rather than here and tastes horrible...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Chocolate is a very weird substance, speaking chemically and physically. How it tastes depends on how it melts in the mouth. The thinner bars and pieces will melt completely in a faster time than the thicker pieces, so I would think that will affect how they taste.

Maybe this will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Bottle Vs. Can afaik has something to do with the different storage environments in both.

Taste lucozade in a can. Totally different drink.

• Advertisement
Advertisement