Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tax Refund Scam

• 05-02-2016 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Mods please feel free to move if in wrong Forum

My daughter received an official looking email from Revenue saying she was due a tax refund of 344 euro, and asked for her bank account details in order to transfer the money.

Luckily she checked with Revenue and they confirmed that they never look for anyones account details.

Just be warned and hopefully nobody will fall for it/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

dennyire wrote: »

You'd be an idiot to fall for it

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Unfortunately there are some about, fairplay for highlighting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

smash wrote: »
    You'd be an idiot to fall for it

People do fall for it though. More chance of someone falling for a scam like this, where they are promised a relatively small amount of money, than someone falling for the "You've won $1,536,388", in a lottery they never even entered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm amazed that people fall for these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I dunno why, but it still surprises me that people fall for these scams. But they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I get the same emails. The only reason I knew it was a scam is because I don't pay tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

What?
    Tax Refund.

Where do I sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Ah great, more spam for the usual Facebook "97% won't share this, are you one of the 3%" brigade.

*** I really should just get around to it and delete my facebook account.......

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A lot of work goes into phishing, you gotta give 'em something..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

dennyire wrote: »
    Mods please feel free to move if in wrong Forum

My daughter received an official looking email from Revenue saying she was due a tax refund of 344 euro, and asked for her bank account details in order to transfer the money.

Luckily she checked with Revenue and they confirmed that they never look for anyones account details.

That scam has been running for a couple of years. I get a few emails a year from them. Nobody will ever look for details like that. Do people still fall for these things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

It's a common scam but, lest we all get too smug about these things, everyone no matter how smart can be fooled.
    Don't be too complacent about your ability to smell a scam and sometimes it's the smartest who are the most easily fooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Got that e-mail as well.their spelling was a wee bit off, example was spelt "exemple",I was under the impression that ROS would have smarter people working for them,anyway I am really looking forward to my refund,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

No need for people to be smug about it, young people and old people are generally not au fait with technology and if something like this comes in and looks official it can catch them.

I just received my P60 this week via email. If I then receive a similar email shortly after saying I am due a refund I can see how some people might feel they are related.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,609 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I fell for the Nigerian prince
    He never did transfer those millions

• Registered Users Posts: 35,609 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I fell for the Nigerian prince
    He never did transfer those millions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

Am I the only one who opened this thread hoping for a step by step how to guide :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Apparently a disproportionate amount of people here fell for the black money scam back in my the day

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_money_scam

It doesn't surprise me one bit that people would be dumb enough to give out bank details for a tax refund / Spanish lottery win transfer / Nigerian multi million dollar through your account scam.

Advertisement