Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So many ads seem to go like this...

"swap for something in my ads ?"

Take a wild guess as to how interested anyone would be in the stuff that you can't sell :P

"swap for something in my ads ?"

Take a wild guess as to how interested anyone would be in the stuff that you can't sell :P

Selling two tickets to the Watch the Throne gig last year and revieved multiple emails from people asking if I'd like to shop for something they had. These included a DVD of 2012, a broken PS3, used baby clothes a ticket for a guy that had occurred a week before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Making them pay for their own attire is bad. They're doing you a favour, why should they be out of pocket?

My sister is gas, I was bridesmaid at her wedding, my dress, shoes and hair/make up cost her under €200, paid fir the hair and make up. She's my bridesmaid in May and has just decided she 'needs' shoes for over €250!!! Eh, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I knew a fella who used test drive a car from a garage and try and get to go on his own, if he had success he would drive to a quiet pre planned place,have his mate with his own car there, swap any blown bulbs off test drive car to his own and in a few cases he changed wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Darko, feck the naysayers. Yer man sounds like a git and I'd probably not have the wit to pay him for months old mayonnaise in 1c coins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Selling two tickets to the Watch the Throne gig last year and revieved multiple emails from people asking if I'd like to shop for something they had. These included a DVD of 2012, a broken PS3, used baby clothes a ticket for a guy that had occurred a week before.
    Even for adverts swapsies a ticket for last weeks gig is special :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

My brother is sitting on a small fortune due to an injury who got a lot of compo for. He's ridiculously stingy. His three-year-old phone broke, so instead of buying a new one he "borrowed" my mother's spare phone: one of those €10 Tesco ones.

I initially read this as his three year olds phone.

We does a 3 year old have a phone for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

I superglued my trainers a few months ago, i gave up as they kept falling apart though, i still use them for the gym though

orangesoda wrote: »
    I superglued my trainers a few months ago, i gave up as they kept falling apart though, i still use them for the gym though
    shoe goo / sugru http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056455212

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I initially read this as his three year olds phone.

We does a 3 year old have a phone for.

My 15 month old nephew has his own phone.*

*It was my mam's and he drooled all over it and it broke, now he uses it to paint the walls with melted iceceam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No need just logon to adverts.ie to see sh1t like that go on :eek:

I nearly gave up on adverts the day I saw a half used tube of Bepanthen for €1 for sale.

A close second is 'swap for my adds' on your add for a PS3/Laptop/etc and discovering the user has delights along the line of 'broken iron', 'generic worthless foreign currency' and 'slightly ripped pennys top' on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

WikiHow wrote: »
    I knew a fella who used test drive a car from a garage and try and get to go on his own, if he had success he would drive to a quiet pre planned place,have his mate with his own car there, swap any blown bulbs off test drive car to his own and in a few cases he changed wheels.

I know someone who rented a car for a day from a Ford dealership and switched the tyres with his own car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭ShiftStorm

I had a boss who would only let us have the heat or the light on. It would be 4 30 pm in the depths of winter and he'd pop in, check the heaters and then switch off the light

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

byrned17 wrote: »
    I had a boss who would only let us have the heat or the light on. It would be 4 30 pm in the depths of winter and he'd pop in, check the heaters and then switch off the light

That's not stingy, that's just illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Just heard that a small (very small) local business has no hot water and refuses to provide milk/tea/ and coffee and the staff regularly get "Oh we didnt make enough last month" and get this...the typist uses a type writer. I thought that was a joke until I saw it myself.

I get a real buzz when I go to a garage to pump my tyres only to find the pump still running as the last user (this garage has 5 minute usage) has finished and I have saved myself the .50p...happy days.

That happened again last Friday and I was dead chuffed for the evening...how sad am I..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

^^^^^^^^^

are you saying there are garages that charge you for compressed air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭stupid head

farmchoice wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^

not a new thing at all

farmchoice wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^

Yes. In fact all of the local garages that I have been to. I do live in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Was with a friend of mine (lets call him Spades) in a round of 3 people at the pub recently. As usual, Spades was the last person to buy his round and was drinking expensive "craft" beer while we were on the Heineken/Murphys.

Anyway, it came to his round and he toddled off to the bar. After 10 mins waiting, there was no sign so I went up to the bar. There was Spades chatting to someone and sipping a cool beer. I asked wtf he was doing and he said he only had enough money for 1 drink so got his own - he didn't even bother his arse to mention it to the 2 fools waiting at the table!

Needless to say, I gave him a piece of my mind and assured him that I wouldn't be getting involved in a round with him again!

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^

What a wanker but no need to bring skin colour into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

My Granny moaned all her life about how stingy Grandad was. He only ever got her one gift in her life, a parrot that was supposed to talk, apart from it never did, so she blamed him for that too. After her owning and trying to train this parrot to talk for 5 years, she gave up in the end as it never uttered a single word or noise. I called to take her shopping one day after and she asked Grandad to give her some money towards the shopping. He was just about to probably say "No" to her, as he usually did, when out of the blue the parrot sqwarked "He wont part with a fart!" Never laughed as much in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

^^^^^^^^^^

What a wanker but no need to bring skin colour into it.

I called him Spades so as to protect his identity - he is not black. In fact he is a ginger, or "light copper blonde" as he calls it!

I'm still protecting his identity, right??

• Registered Users Posts: 30 seanbarrow

The father of a friend of mine once put 50c of petrol into a car before selling it, after running out close to the petrol station

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kitten7

A friend of mine was going out with a really stingy guy for ages, supposedly he used to look up the presents she had bought him online to see how much they were worth. Arsehole

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/frugal-funeral-for-co-down-man-who-made-his-own-coffin-1.1700818
    “I designed it myself. I drew up the plans and went in and bought two sheets of plywood, 8ft by 4ft. I cut it, glued and screwed it together. The total cost was £75.”

The most difficult part, he explained, was bending the plywood to make the sides of the coffin. He added rope so the coffin could be lowered into his final resting place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ah that's not so bad though
    “My sons have no money. I am not going to die and leave them with debts they cannot afford, so I have made my own coffin,” he said, adding he was planning a “frugal funeral”.

Nice of him
    Morbid, but nice

bluewolf wrote: »
    Ah that's not so bad though
    Yeah you're right it should be over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1530 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

recently i was short 50c cent in subway while on lunch with a friend , i asked him for the 50c and his reply was "ill give ya a fiver as ya wont give me back just 50c ":eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

seanbarrow wrote: »
    The father of a friend of mine once put 50c of petrol into a car before selling it, after running out close to the petrol station

you sure he didn't siphon the engine oil too?

Advertisement