Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

Addle wrote: »
    That reads as really desperate to me rather than stingy.

Not desperate just a pathetic cheap ass. He won't work as he's an "artist" and gets his dole and rent allowance so he's better off than many others are when you consider that he has no outgoings bar food and alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

An ex-friend of mine who I posted about in the old thread called around to my house the other day. Haven't spoke to him in a number of months a d last time it was nothing more than a quick hello when I saw him in the pub. He showed up at my door unannounced at around 11 am and from his help you'd swear we were best of friends.

Not wanting to be a dick and curious as to what exactly he wanted I told him to come in. I had hoped that he'd finally realised what a dick he'd been to myself and a number of others and wanted to say sorry. Offered him a cup of tea and started chatting about what we were up to in life. He spoke about how tough times were and how he was putting all his money into a play he wanted to stage. Informed me that it "was spectacular and numerous play writes had called it exceptional" having read his past work I knew that he was lieing as his work is generally a rip off of a dozen really famous works. He asked me if I was interested in donating some money to help get the pay up and running, "anything, even a fiver would be appreciate". Told him I wasn't interested and he made that face kids do when told they can't have something.

He tried to give me a poorly done pitch about why it was an investment but all I wanted was for him to leave. I told him that I had to shower and get ready as I'd plans and he suggested he make himself a sandwich while I went to shower. A polite but firm "no" put that to an end and I hurried him out of the house. As he was leaving he asked where all the stuff he'd left was and could he collect it. I reminded him that he'd asked that before a few months back and I got rid of all his stuff. "Oh I know, I mean my other stuff".

I asked what stuff he meant and his answer made my week. "I left food in the fridge". I was a bit taken aback and asked what food. He looked at me and with a straight face said "a jar of mayonnaise, cheese slices, some sausages and pasta sauce. If its bit there and you used it you can pay me back. It's only fair". I assumed he was joking but after about 30 seconds of him explaining how legally it was his property and he was entitled to it I realised that he was serious and fully expected to be given his food back.

I honestly had no idea if I should laugh or cry though his angry demands for his property back has me in stitches. He kept repeating, "my food or the money". He just stood there repeating it so I told him to hang on and went into my room and emptied a few dozen 1cent coins from the bottle I have full of them. Went back to him and showed him the money asking was it enough. He said it would have to do and as he did i flung them into the air before closing the door on him. For almost 2 hours he was on his hands and knees searching through the grass for every last cent he could find. It was the most pathetic thing I have ever seen and when I told a few mutual friends they told me that his "begging" was a weekly occurance and the night before he'd told a friend that they owed him a can if Dutch Gold as he'd left two half cans at theirs on two seperate occasions.
    That sounds more like a man that's absolutely desperate and wants help but won't ask for it, rather than a stinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

An ex-friend of mine who I posted about in the old thread called around to my house the other day. Haven't spoke to him in a number of months a d last time it was nothing more than a quick hello when I saw him in the pub. He showed up at my door unannounced at around 11 am and from his help you'd swear we were best of friends.

Not wanting to be a dick and curious as to what exactly he wanted I told him to come in. I had hoped that he'd finally realised what a dick he'd been to myself and a number of others and wanted to say sorry. Offered him a cup of tea and started chatting about what we were up to in life. He spoke about how tough times were and how he was putting all his money into a play he wanted to stage. Informed me that it "was spectacular and numerous play writes had called it exceptional" having read his past work I knew that he was lieing as his work is generally a rip off of a dozen really famous works. He asked me if I was interested in donating some money to help get the pay up and running, "anything, even a fiver would be appreciate". Told him I wasn't interested and he made that face kids do when told they can't have something.

He tried to give me a poorly done pitch about why it was an investment but all I wanted was for him to leave. I told him that I had to shower and get ready as I'd plans and he suggested he make himself a sandwich while I went to shower. A polite but firm "no" put that to an end and I hurried him out of the house. As he was leaving he asked where all the stuff he'd left was and could he collect it. I reminded him that he'd asked that before a few months back and I got rid of all his stuff. "Oh I know, I mean my other stuff".

I asked what stuff he meant and his answer made my week. "I left food in the fridge". I was a bit taken aback and asked what food. He looked at me and with a straight face said "a jar of mayonnaise, cheese slices, some sausages and pasta sauce. If its bit there and you used it you can pay me back. It's only fair". I assumed he was joking but after about 30 seconds of him explaining how legally it was his property and he was entitled to it I realised that he was serious and fully expected to be given his food back.

I honestly had no idea if I should laugh or cry though his angry demands for his property back has me in stitches. He kept repeating, "my food or the money". He just stood there repeating it so I told him to hang on and went into my room and emptied a few dozen 1cent coins from the bottle I have full of them. Went back to him and showed him the money asking was it enough. He said it would have to do and as he did i flung them into the air before closing the door on him. For almost 2 hours he was on his hands and knees searching through the grass for every last cent he could find. It was the most pathetic thing I have ever seen and when I told a few mutual friends they told me that his "begging" was a weekly occurance and the night before he'd told a friend that they owed him a can if Dutch Gold as he'd left two half cans at theirs on two seperate occasions.

You watched him crawl around on the cold ground for nearly two hours looking for the money you threw? I hope you at least offered him a cuppa

That sounds more like a man that's absolutely desperate and wants help but won't ask for it, rather than a stinge.

Again, he's not desperate. Just a cheap ass who thinks everyone owes him something. The guy gets his dole and various top ups each week and is in the pub every other night and lives off take out food. He's better off financially than most of the people he stinges off. He recently bought an XboxOne and is heading to Amsterdam for a week in April, not exactly something that those in need of money do. When he needed help I was there for him but he abused it and our friendship ended because of it.
    rawn wrote: »
    You watched him crawl around on the cold ground for nearly two hours looking for the money you threw? I hope you at least offered him a cuppa

No, I relaxed and enjoyed a cup of tea and some food while watching a bit of TV and periodically looking out at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

[...]

You always know its going to be a good story when it starts with "an ex-friend of mine".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Tiat Young

Was at a friends house and she was complaining about how hungry she was for a taco chip from the chipper but she had no money. I offer to pay for her and her fellas food no bother. So off we went for food and all was happy.

The next time I was at her house the same thing happened again but this time she did have money. She sent her fella off to get food and never even bothered asking me did I want anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paulfosters

When i got married one guest ? told me to call to his house to collect our present ! as if !. good few years ago now but always remember it. ( he never invited me to his wedding ) taught he was a friend !

When i got married one guest ? told me to call to his house to collect our present ! as if !. good few years ago now but always remember it. ( he never invited me to his wedding ) taught he was a friend !

Maybe it was a really big present. Like an elephant. You'll never know now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

In fairness, he can't have been that great of a friend if he couldn't be bothered to bring his gift around to you. Sounds like you are better off without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Try bargaining down a product in a €2 store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

WikiHow wrote: »
    Try bargaining down a product in a €2 store.

No need just logon to adverts.ie to see sh1t like that go on :eek:

In Carlow I used to live across from a charity warehouse that funded a local day care centre that sold pretty much everything you can think of. Spent a lot of time wandering around it exploring. One time there was a lady there giving out stink to the girl at the checkout. She had 3 teddies in her hand that had come from a basket priced €1 and a Bob the Builder toy in a box. The girl at the checkout was trying to explain to her that the teddies were €1 each but the Bob the Builder toy was €3 as it was there by mistake but was brand new and the RRP was close to €20. The lady was having none of it because she found the Bob the Builder toy in the same basket as the teddies so was refusing to pay €3 and screaming at the poor girl for ages. When the checkout girl refused to back down she tried to haggle her down to €2. In a fúcking charity shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That last paragraph? You are such a nice guy...

Birneybau wrote: »
    That last paragraph? You are such a nice guy...

For anyone who thinks he's just some guy down on his luck and too proud to ask for help, he just posted pictures on facebook of the new 50" 3D TV he bought today, as well as pictures of a still boxed PS4 and surround system. Proverly cost the best part of €2,500. First comment beneath the picture is someone asking why he's begging for financing for his play. The answer, "it should be seen as a privilege to help stage my play".

For anyone who thinks he's just some guy down on his luck and too proud to ask for help, he just posted pictures on facebook of the new 50" 3D TV he bought today, as well as pictures of a still boxed PS4 and surround system. Proverly cost the best part of €2,500. First comment beneath the picture is someone asking why he's begging for financing for his play. The answer, "it should be seen as a privilege to help stage my play".

If the pictures are up on facebook it must be true.

WikiHow wrote: »
    If the pictures are up on facebook it must be true.

Yeah because the pictures of the TV in his sitting room with the other boxes around it were obviously photo shopped in by him. As I said before this is a guy who has recently booked a holiday to Amsterdam and picked up an XboxOne. He's far better off than many working people. If he was genuinely in trouble then he'd be helped but he's just one of those people who thinks the world and the people in it owe him something. He's the kind of guy who at a wedding will eat till he can't move and if there's a free bar will abuse it more so than anyone else and not even give a card, let alone a gift to the couple. He gave his father a €5 note for his 75yh birthday and refused to go in with the rest if his siblings who paid for a trip to the Us for their parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Yeah because the pictures of the TV in his sitting room with the other boxes around it were obviously photo shopped in by him. As I said before this is a guy who has recently booked a holiday to Amsterdam and picked up an XboxOne. He's far better off than many working people. If he was genuinely in trouble then he'd be helped but he's just one of those people who thinks the world and the people in it owe him something. He's the kind of guy who at a wedding will eat till he can't move and if there's a free bar will abuse it more so than anyone else and not even give a card, let alone a gift to the couple. He gave his father a €5 note for his 75yh birthday and refused to go in with the rest if his siblings who paid for a trip to the Us for their parents

You seem to know a lot about a person that as you said: "Haven't spoke to him in a number of months"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

He sounds like someone who might be on a certain spectrum, tbh.

Who are we talking about :confused:

wazky wrote: »
    You seem to know a lot about a person that as you said: "Haven't spoke to him in a number of months"

I'm friendly with his brother and the lad is still friends with a lot of friends of mine. His brother was reading this thread and laughing his ass off as he said that it was just like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

No need just logon to adverts.ie to see sh1t like that go on :eek:

So many ads seem to go like this...
    Vendor:

Un-returnable new, boxed and sealed item, original receipt for €500 included as proof of price paid. €250 ono.
    "Buyer":

Offer €50.
    Vendor:

Thanks but far too low.
    "Buyer":

Lol... gluck tryin ta find anyone ta buy it sooo.... hahah

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Apologies for the lack of stinge in this post, but since this thread and the old ones have had so many stories, has anyone had the subject of a story recognise it and reply to it, be it on boards or otherwise? Long-shot perhaps, but that would be gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

res ipsa wrote: »
    Canadians full stop. Loonies &Toonies. Was heading to the airport in Vancouver at an irish bar & dropped all my change to the bar maid as a tip. She took all the high value coins & then had a go at me for insulting her by also putting in the coppers & handed them back to me. Prescious.

Back in 1990 when I lived in England I got a call from an old schoolfriend. He had got married to a Canadian girl and was bringing her home to Ireland for the first time. They were landing in Heathrow at 8am on a Monday and flying from Luton to Dublin the following Wednesday. (Because it worked out cheaper that way.) Was it OK to stay with me for three nights? No problem.

On the last night we were going out , I had no cash on me so I asked him for a lend of 20 pounds so I could get the taxi and the first round of drinks. I was going to cash a cheque when we got to the pub where I worked and give it back. He said he hadn't any either and he'd have to ask the wife. She refused point blank saying she didn't know me. I proceeded to give her a bollocking her husband should have given her. I had hired a car to collect them in Heathrow and was going to hire another to take them to Luton. I let them get the bus for a finish.

Apologies for the lack of stinge in this post, but since this thread and the old ones have had so many stories, has anyone had the subject of a story recognise it and reply to it, be it on boards or otherwise? Long-shot perhaps, but that would be gas.

A brother of the guy I posted about shared my post with his siblings and parents over the weekend. His mother was horrified that that he was acting like that and said "it's no wonder no one likes him".

His brother told me a few stories that are worth sharing.

Last Christmas he arrived home with a big bag full of gifts and left them under the tree. Everyone was shocked as it was the first time he'd ever shown up and his hands weren't empty. The siblings do a secret Santa thing where they all spend between €50-€80 on one other and then just get everyone else a small gift. On Christmas scabby as we'll call him opened his secret Santa gift and found a copy of Dead Rising for the XboxOne. He'd got his sister for secret Santa and he presented her with a big box. She opened it expecting something decent and found inside, a workout DVD, a pack of biscuits, shampoo, conditioner and a receipt from Dealz where they'd been bought.

He then gave each of his remaining siblings their gift, four copies of the same workout DVD which he got in Dealz. He gave his parents a card with €10 voucher for Topaz and two copies of the same book which he got in Dealz. His parents were a little taken aback as they hoped it was a joke. Scabby opened his gift from his parents, a watch that cost €300, a copy of Dead Rising for XboxOne and a few other small things. He didn't say thank you before giving off to them for buying him the same game that his sister gave him. His other gifts from his sublings included Blu-Rays, Games, books and a new controller for his PS3.

He spent the rest of the day complaining about getting the same game twice and told his parents that as the nearest Topaz was 60 miles away he'd use the voucher when back in Galway. He was told to fcuk off home by everyone and was ignored and called a cheap ass all Christmas sat. He was supposed to stay at home till after the new year but left on the 26th and no one would drive him to the bus station. Being the cheap guy he is, he refused to pay for a taxi and walk in the rain for an hour to the station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Yara Small Stringer, any chance you could give me this 'artists' real name and address so I can contact social welfare. I'm getting stingy paying tax so lowlifes can live off my work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

So many ads seem to go like this...

:rolleyes:

Just as many people selling things at ridiculous prices.

"Brand new! Never used!"
    Even if it's still in the box the warranty is void as it's a second hand purchase and the warranty is registered to your name from the credit card.
    "It's not second hand I never used it."
    Unless you're an authorised seller it's second hand. At best it's grey market.
    "You'll never get a better price than this"
    *Links to Amazon selling it for 2/3rds the asking price, brand new, with two years extra warranty and free delivery*
    *Get's banned from Adverts*

Edit: Or my favourite, selling something at the same price a regular shop would have it at. Despite the shop being a second hand dealer for over 30 years, offering a 14 day no questions asked return policy, a six month in-store guarantee, having in-store guys trained in servicing and repair looking over the item before they sell, giving precise details of any flaws and showing multiple, well lit, well taken photographs of any dings and bangs rather than a stock photo taken from the manufacturer's website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

more canadians .... but here goes

my mate is best man for his canadian mate soon.
    They emailed him looking for him to get measured for the suit and send over his details to their tailor.....with 150* for the suit.
    "oh but you can keep the suit after" they said..."thanks...bud"

so after going over there with his wife for the wedding and the expense that entails - they're shafting him for a suit that he'll probably not wear again.

*not sure which currency - he was just ranting at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

That's the done thing in Canada and America
    Very expensive to be a bridesmaid/groomsman over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Addle wrote: »
    That's the done thing in Canada and America
    Very expensive to be a bridesmaid/groomsman over there.

jaysis......

is it acceptable to say "no" to the request?

I hate them and their stingy ways...americans and canadians , all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Saying no to a bride or groom is contentious internationally!

Advertisement