Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Newcastlewest.

• 26-02-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

I am not from the town originally but I have been living in NCW for nearly 10 years. The place seems to really be going downhill, shops closing, pubs closing, dilapidation (maiden st is a real mess), the rising scumbag population.

It really doesn't seem to have much going for it. There is no comparison with Charleville for example, a good business town that has a sense of life about it. I have given up going out in NCW as there are only one or two pubs worth going in to.

I hope things improve in NCW soon as it seems to be on a slippery slope.

What is your opinion of NCW?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

The town doubled in size since the boom, no planning whatsoever.
    large housing estates with no facilities. The only cinema & public swimming pool are closed.

Tesco & lidl have taken the heart out of the town centre, i can go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    The town doubled in size since the boom, no planning whatsoever.
    large housing estates with no facilities. The only cinema & public swimming pool are closed.

Tesco & lidl have taken the heart out of the town centre, i can go on.

Town center is dieing as far as business goes. There was absolutely no forethought when it came to planning. Backwards thinking and lots of shoddy housing estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

It doesn't help when county limerick hasn't got an IDA job in about 40 years, look up the road, and you have rathkeale, another town falling apart.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Traffic doesn't help either-that and the seemingly constant roadworks

liammur wrote: »
    It doesn't help when county limerick hasn't got an IDA job in about 40 years, look up the road, and you have rathkeale, another town falling apart.

I would say Rathkeale is a town that has already fallen apart, its in a desperate state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Yawn!!! Could be worse Jimmy, you could be living in Strabane...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Traffic doesn't help either-that and the seemingly constant roadworks

The new roundabout down from Tesco is a huge help in terms of making that junction easier to use, but yeah overall the traffic is a problem. Aint gonna change either with a bypass a long long way off I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

liammur wrote: »

That Poor Cinema has been looking abandoned for years
    even as a kid passing through the town I can never remember it being opened. Very Very Quite place anytime I've been there. (Although its always been during the day) I've never seen any tourists there and people passing through stick out like a sore thumb.

Whoever is selling the locals the Transits is doing great business
    The amount of Transits in that town is unreal.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQ1wnnJMts

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

There plenty new transits around alright all over the place... the social welfare are great employers.... Its the same all over ireland, if political people had the brains with all the years in collage, to know that these huge shopping centers would take trade from the towns into the outskirts... Its the same in tralee and while manor west is a great shopping centre it has taken a lot of shops and everything else to the cleaners... I have only ever passed through newcastlewest and to be honest there is nothing to entice me to go into the town centre....

danbrosnan wrote: »
    There plenty new transits around alright all over the place... the social welfare are great employers.... Its the same all over ireland, if political people had the brains with all the years in collage, to know that these huge shopping centers would take trade from the towns into the outskirts... Its the same in tralee and while manor west is a great shopping centre it has taken a lot of shops and everything else to the cleaners... I have only ever passed through newcastlewest and to be honest there is nothing to entice me to go into the town centre....

Towns need jobs, the IDA and governments have failed Limerick very, very badly. A tesco moving to the outskirts isn't the cause of a town failing. How do I know this ?

Towns like rathkeale have no tescos as far as I know.

Can anyone remember when Co. Limerick actually got an IDA job last ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Perhaps one of the reasons why Limerick is not thriving is because so many people elected total gombeen imbeciles as TDs again and again and again - TDs who promised the Moon and the stars but actually delivered f*** all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

danbrosnan wrote: »
    I have only ever passed through newcastlewest and to be honest there is nothing to entice me to go into the town centre....

It's worth stopping off for the curry and stuffing chip in superdine........

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Perhaps one of the reasons why Limerick is not thriving is because so many people elected total gombeen imbeciles as TDs again and again and again - TDs who promised the Moon and the stars but actually delivered f*** all.

Spot on.
    500 jobs for Cork today, 1000 for Louth, 800 sky for Dublin, few hundred for Galway last week.

Heads should roll in the IDA, as it is small business people in Limerick and around the country that are paying their wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I read the thread title wrong and thought it said 'Onions on Newcastlewest'

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

seachto7 wrote: »
    It's worth stopping off for the curry and stuffing chip in superdine........

I would assume you mean Superbites? Assuming you are I personally think its by no means super...strictly average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I lived out there for just over two years. It went from nice and quiet to scumbag central in a matter of months. It's a massive shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I would assume you mean Superbites? Assuming you are I personally think its by no means super...strictly average at best.

I am not from NCW, but is there a nicer place around? will be passing through later...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I read the thread title wrong and thought it said 'Onions on Newcastlewest'

:(

Well the way it has deteriorated over the years it would make you cry,

It went from nice and quiet to scumbag central in a matter of months.

There was always the scumbag element but you are right, it increased very suddenly. I blame the council and the health board, NCW seems to have received a disproportionate amount.

seachto7 wrote: »
    I am not from NCW, but is there a nicer place around? will be passing through later...:)

I'm not saying Superbites is bad either (assuming thats the chipper you are talking about). Their food does seem reasonably well prepared and they do seem pretty hygienic (by chipper standards anyway). In fact for chicken they may well be the best choice. Its just that some locals rave about Superbites that they are seemingly the best thing since sliced bread when I think such is not the case.

I don't eat too much in the way of fastfood of late but I used to frequent Boogie Woogie on SouthQuay quite a bit. I do like their kebabs and their burgers are pretty meaty. In fact I believe they underwent renovations at some stage not too long back and changed their name to Bambinos. Not sure if they are now being run by a different Proprieter or if their food has changed. You wont need to venture off the N21 for Bambinos

Also, Mama Mia in the square. Nice homemade style chips. Good for burgers and pizzas. Tasty food but no shortage of grease either! Some would say their hygiene is somewhat suspect.

*I am in no way affiliated with any of the above fastfood outlets. The above are just my impartial opinions for what they are worth

• Advertisement

There was always the scumbag element but you are right, it increased very suddenly. I blame the council and the health board, NCW seems to have received a disproportionate amount.

I would suggest that there is an increased scumbag element there with perhaps some time now. I genuienly don't think it has increased dramatically of very late. And thats not to say that the town does not have problems or its problems are in any way smaller of late...just don't think they have increased. I think there is a danger too that if people hear of a couple of bad incidents in close succession that they assume things have got bad or out of hand. Such incidents may have being happening with a while only people don't always hear about them.

Theres no doubt Newcastle has its problems with scumbag elements and anti-social behaviour but what towns don't. Even seemingly quiet sleepy little towns have such problems. Granted Newcastle may be that wee bit worse than average if you want to look at it that way.

The town was definately a lot more vibrant some years back and like many other small regional towns business has taken a hammering. That may be due to the fact that small family run shops simply cannot compete with the giant chainstores in nearby cities or the reccession or a combination thereoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

I am not from the town originally but I have been living in NCW for nearly 10 years. The place seems to really be going downhill, shops closing, pubs closing, dilapidation (maiden st is a real mess), the rising scumbag population.
    Maiden St is being renovated next year, the owner of many of those dilapidated buildings is knocking/rebuilding/repairing them. The street will be closed to traffic during these works.
    Most of the new scumbag element moved to Newcastle from Limerick. So basically they are Limerick City scum strutting their stuff elsewhere. At the same time a lot of it is over stated and over exaggerated. Newcastle is paradise compared to the regeneration areas in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Going back a decade when i was living at home, Newcastle was my usual weekend haunt. It was grand for a couple of years, but around 2004 or so it started to get decidedly dodgy at night time. I was accosted by proper scumbags in the square on three or four separate Saturday nights. For the crime of minding my own business. I stopped going after that, it just got scary to go there at night. I ventured into Limerick instead, never had too much hassle in there.

It's funny because people from outside Limerick seem to think that Rathkeale is the tough town - but it isn't. It's a dead town i will agree, but It's Traveller population don't really cause any trouble, they're a nuisance alright, especially at Christmas time, but the stats say that Rathkeale is one of the safest towns at night in Ireland. I've never once seen any fights there. There are no rough estates in Rathkeale, there's probably only 3 decent size ones in total anyway. Newcastle West on the other hand is a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 misswhat

I'm living in NCW at the moment after moving here from suburban Limerick. I have to say I have never known of a town NCW's size to be so totally boring and dead for the ordinary Joe Soap. The only time I ever see people around is at night, going from pub to pub, and eventually to the chipper. There's no town buzz, not that I see anyway? All I see are boy racers, and pub crawlers? In fairness the boy racers here aren't the worst, they keep the "boll##ing" to a minimum and usually just park in the square. But then you have these not so common lads, and lassies absolutely FLYING around the town after 11pm. I can't believe they don't cream each other the speed they fly around! A fella a couple of weeks ago was booting up through the town, 10 minutes later I saw his car ruined after hitting a tree at lethal force! I've seen drug deals happen in the middle of the square? (apologies on that huge rant, it came out of nowhere)! But yeah, to the ordinary non-drug taking person there's never anything happening!
    An extremelyyyyyyyyyy boring town for me, personally...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 uglytruth

agree with misswhat totally boring town have lived here all my life just dont bother going out now maybe the odd meal now and again and even the choice of decent restaurants are slim on the ground. dont get me started on the antisocial behaviour that has been getting increasingly worse over the last five to six years. The choice of night clubs no better club mission should be renamed fight club unprovoked attacks on fellas and girls a regular occurance. i wonder if there is a connection between the scum takeover bid and the obvious lack of a blue uniform on the streets on newcastle west. diol07 wont it be lovely to see maiden st all done up to the nines and every county councilor capable of operating a scissors and smiling at a camera just to house those same scumbags in lovely new apartments over empty retail units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Where would one live if one was working in NCW? I hear (and verified above) that the town itself is dead, so I was thinking Raheen / Dooradoyle. Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Adare??

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

They should blow up NCW and start again from scratch.

(and Charleville for good measure)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 uglytruth

johnross blowing up the town might be a bit extreme however exterminating the scum may be a good starting point. testicle I would not choose to live in ncw adare is probably your best bet that picturesque little village wont ever run the risk of self harm to its little thatched tourist industry by opening its perfectly matching painted doors to the peasants so no risk of antisocial behaviour for the coveted golfers and tourists to worry about sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

johnROSS wrote: »
    They should blow up NCW and start again from scratch.

(and Charleville for good measure)

Dont forget some parts of Limerick :D

Advertisement