Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway car mechanic needed

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

What's an "indie?"

Independent, not attached to a particular branded make of car for example a bmw or Renault main dealer garage..

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

i just had work done in Firststop kieran farrell in Knocknacarra.

New CV joint
    4 new Brake disks and pads
    2 new tyres

€480

(VW Bora) tyres alone were €180

VW dealer quoted €300 to replace just the front disks and pads

So far i'm very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

topcat77 wrote: »
    i just had work done in Firststop kieran farrell in Knocknacarra.

New CV joint
    4 new Brake disks and pads
    2 new tyres

€480

(VW Bora) tyres alone were €180

VW dealer quoted €300 to replace just the front disks and pads

So far i'm very happy

Is that including VAT. If so that is a great price.

That was the grand total.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Is there any mechanic or workshop in Galway that will drill out a foul spark plug? This is something that needs to be done by someone with reverse thread dies and the ability to work very cleanly and inspect the chamber afterwards to ensure there's no swarf or debris that will blow a valve. Can't find any mechanic willing to do it, they dont want to break the plug trying to remove it and will only do a new head, which is megabucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

ladhrann wrote: »
    Is there any mechanic or workshop in Galway that will drill out a foul spark plug? This is something that needs to be done by someone with reverse thread dies and the ability to work very cleanly and inspect the chamber afterwards to ensure there's no swarf or debris that will blow a valve. Can't find any mechanic willing to do it, they dont want to break the plug trying to remove it and will only do a new head, which is megabucks.

Sounds like a nightmare job. Maybe O'Toole brothers in Bushy Park.

I heard a while back (3 years) that autoexmoto was the place to go if you had any tricky work to be carried out (recommended by a garage mechanic). This was back when they were on Dyke Rd and things might of changed.

http://www.autoexmoto.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

whineflu wrote: »
    Sounds like a nightmare job. Maybe O'Toole brothers in Bushy Park.

When I hear the words 'head' and 'gasket' I start to cry inside.

I'm gonna try autosol and exmoto if the plug snaps. Thing is if the plug snaps a mechanic removes the head and brings it to an engineering workshop to have it removed, but it is possible to have it removed and the combustion chamber inspected and any swarf cleaned out. I just can't find any references to it on boards or elsewhere in Ireland. In the States for instance you can buy a kit to do it, but thats outside my capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Hi.

Would anyone know of a car mechanic/garage open on Saturdays that would be able to accommodate a kind of a rush job?
    I've tried a few of the bigger places but no joy.
    Little bit of an awkward situation, I cant be without a car for too long!

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you try ringing the many indies already mentioned in this thread?
    I don't want to suggest people only to hear "already tried" :D
    Also, what job is it you need doing? Brake pads (30 min job) or timing belt (many hours job with special tools)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

biko wrote: »
    Did you try ringing the many indies already mentioned in this thread?
    I don't want to suggest people only to hear "already tried" :D
    Also, what job is it you need doing? Brake pads (30 min job) or timing belt (many hours job with special tools)?

Thanks Biko.

Just looking to get an ignition coil changed.
    A lot of the indie spots I tried are closed on Saturdays.
    Just looking to see if anyone would know one that is open for sure. Cheers.

Ok, easy job
    Kilduffs on Nun's Island might be open.
    www.rescuu.comHeadford Rd is open Saturday I think
    Advance Pitstop on Headford Rd is open Saturday I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Can anyone recommend a reliable independent garage around Galway with reasonable labor costs?

I've a small oil leak coming from in around the timing belt housing seal. The main dealership says it could be just the seal needs replacement or there could be a pump or hose leaking behind. Either way the main cost is the time it takes to get everything moved out of the way to get at it and they said they could be looking at €1600'ish. I've already given them €250 to replace a hose.

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

i feel your pain with main dealers and their prices, i would put your question to the guys in the motoring forum ,where they could give greater wisdom

Thread merged with general mechanic thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Can anybody recommend a mechanic or garage to sort a leak in the rear of my car.

Has developed small puddles in spare wheel compartment and also the rear sit is also damp.(The rear backrest of the seat is not damp, only the actually seat is.)

I cant find the source of the leak so not sure what to do.

Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Can anybody recommend a mechanic or garage to sort a leak in the rear of my car.

Has developed small puddles in spare wheel compartment and also the rear sit is also damp.(The rear backrest of the seat is not damp, only the actually seat is.)

I cant find the source of the leak so not sure what to do.

Any suggestions?

It's not a ford focus by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

No, its Nissan micra 2005.

Post in car DIY and the peeps there will help you finding the leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Sorry for hijacking, but I have a similar problem with my Ford Focus, it's driving me nuts!

Any idea of the cause

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Folks, anyone know a mechanic that could fix the linkage rod on a 2010 Qashqai wiper assembly? Wipers stopped working last night but the motor can be heard when they're turned on. When I opened up to look earlier I can see the motor moving but one of the linkage rods has come loose. Its like the nuts has fallen off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Sorry for hijacking, but I have a similar problem with my Ford Focus, it's driving me nuts!

Any idea of the cause

Pollen Filter maybe - where is it wet?

Folks, anyone know a mechanic that could fix the linkage rod on a 2010 Qashqai wiper assembly?
    Any mechanic can do this, it's not a difficult job.
    If you post with a pic in Car DIY the people there can propbably show you how to do it yourself.

biko wrote: »
    Any mechanic can do this, it's not a difficult job.
    If you post with a pic in Car DIY the people there can propbably show you how to do it yourself.

Thanks a million biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

dilallio wrote: »
    Pollen Filter maybe - where is it wet?

Floor on the Left hand corner on the tail light side, I'm sure it's water run off coming from from the back window.

Floor on the Left hand corner on the tail light side, I'm sure it's water run off coming from from the back window.

Folks Im back again. Turns out its the linkage on the wiper rod. Mechanic was able to pop it back in again, but it popped out 10 mins later, and Ive been just popping it back on myself.
    Is there anyone in Galway that could repair this without having to purchase a complete linkage kit? It'd be a killer having to spend 300 euro when its just one part that gone.

I've responded in your DIY thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sirenbb

Could you send me that number please
    lucianot wrote: »
    Ok found it!

089 <snip, by pm only> , in case someone needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭maniac2003

need to get headlights realigned due to nct fail
    any recommendations and idea of cost please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

maniac2003 wrote: »
    need to get headlights realigned due to nct fail
    any recommendations and idea of cost please

Cheap and easy job.

I know someone with a Micra that got it done in FirstStop Knocknacarra for only €15 I think it was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement