Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Garage to the side of my house and reducing the open space

• 15-10-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, I am hoping to build a garage to the side of my house but I'm confused by something on Meath County Council's website and I'm hoping someone to clarify it for me please?

I intend to build a garage that does not extend out in front of the building line of the house and does not exceed 4 metres in height. The floor area is 25 square metres or less and the garage will match the finish of the house.

But the website states "you cannot reduce the open space at the side or rear of the house below 25 square metres", so does this mean I have to leave 25sqm to the side of the house AND also the back or if I leave 25sqm or more at the back this is ok? As the garage will run approx. 3/4 of the side of the house.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

My reading of that is that the sum of side+rear = 25 sq m.

If you think about it - a lot of older houses have long, deep back gardens, but only the width of a footpath down the side of the house to access it. They, then, don't have 25sq m to the side in the first place...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Subscribers Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yes, its the total private amenity space thats counted....

another example of the quirks in the english language compounded by unclear local authority definitions.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

val80 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am hoping to build a garage to the side of my house but I'm confused by something on Meath County Council's website and I'm hoping someone to clarify it for me please?

I intend to build a garage that does not extend out in front of the building line of the house and does not exceed 4 metres in height. The floor area is 25 square metres or less and the garage will match the finish of the house.

But the website states "you cannot reduce the open space at the side or rear of the house below 25 square metres", so does this mean I have to leave 25sqm to the side of the house AND also the back or if I leave 25sqm or more at the back this is ok? As the garage will run approx. 3/4 of the side of the house.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

You might want to investigate if there are any public utilities under the ground to the side of your house. Alot of houses that have large sides, do so because of the existence of public mains under that area and you will not be allowed to build on top of it or within a distance. just something to investigate in case its an issue

Advertisement