Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I catch a Bass

• 21-09-2014 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Could you tell me how I could fish for bass from Stradbally beach as I have yet to catch a bass.I have a 9 foot rod with spinning reel and 12 lb line.I want to use the paternoster rig with two hooks and a two ounce weight at the bottom.Where do I cast and how do I catch a Bass. What bait should I use and what bait do you think I have available?Thanks

N.B:I want to surf fish.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭con___manx1

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    Could you tell me how I could fish for bass from Stradbally beach as I have yet to catch a bass.I have a 9 foot rod with spinning reel and 12 lb line.I want to use the paternoster rig with two hooks and a two ounce weight at the bottom.Where do I cast and how do I catch a Bass. What bait should I use and what bait do you think I have available?Thanks

N.B:I want to surf fish.

crab is a great bait for bass.they are usually are not too far from shore. A friend of mine bought a small aldi rod to take his son fishing. he cast maybe 40 yards and caught a 9lb bass. the fish broke his rod and he had to pull it in by hand : )

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

crab is a great bait for bass.they are usually are not too far from shore. A friend of mine bought a small aldi rod to take his son fishing. he cast maybe 40 yards and caught a 9lb bass. the fish broke his rod and he had to pull it in by hand : )

How would I get crab around the beach as I am only 15 and I can't afford buying bait.

Also do I cast into the breakers or past the breakers as I can't seem to get last them?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Ask your local fisherman for a loan of a lobster pot they should have no problem giving you one for a while and you will catch loads in it.Just past the breakers and reel slowly you will catch loads on crabs.Update on how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

How would I get crab around the beach as I am only 15 and I can't afford buying bait.

Also do I cast into the breakers or past the breakers as I can't seem to get last them?

Your best bet might be to dig some lugworm for bait. Cast past the last breaking wave. Your setup sounds more suited to lure fishing though. A 2oz weight won't hold much in the surf.

dmc17 wrote: »
    Your best bet might be to dig some lugworm for bait. Cast past the last breaking wave. Your setup sounds more suited to lure fishing though. A 2oz weight won't hold much in the surf.
    What affordable lure could I use?
    I also can't cast out past the last breaking wave it always lands in front of the last breaking wave

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

your looking for Peeler crabs or soft backs, low water under weeds down around dungarvan , could also try lugs tipped with a sliver of mackerel if u can't get crabs , sandeels are good on a surf beach but fresh is best ! good luck ! maybe use a grip weight with one hook over the other fish will hook themselves ! slackline bites can be hard to hook at times !

Deise67 wrote: »
    your looking for Peeler crabs or soft backs, low water under weeds down around dungarvan , could also try lugs tipped with a sliver of mackerel if u can't get crabs , sandeels are good on a surf beach but fresh is best ! good luck ! maybe use a grip weight with one hook over the other fish will hook themselves ! slackline bites can be hard to hook at times !

What do you mean by [/quote]with one hook over the other fish will hook themselves ! slackline bites can be hard to hook at times ![/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I you use a 2 hook paternoster a fish could get tangled up in one of the traces!

Could I use a German sprat as a lure because I'm after buying one as I heard good things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

Have a look at some soft lures such as these. Blue/white lures are supposed to be good, but as with anything it's a case of trying different ones until you find one that works. There's no guaranteed way to catch one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

I caught a bass a few years back behind castlegreogory, on "the trench" i think it was called, on the beach facing back into tralee. About 6 pounds. Caught it on a lump of frozen mackerel

you can get lug and peeler crab nearby see here
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/sea/southwest/dingle.htm

I've dug lug there but never got peeler. If I had my choice i'd pick peeler . Used it to great affect fishing around waterford.

You could try spinning there are a fe good spinning mark around there as well

Frogeye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

What do you mean by
    with one hook over the other fish will hook themselves ! slackline bites can be hard to hook at times ![/quote][/quote]

Google tandem hook set up , very effective set up , also stops bait sliding up the line if u using a clipped down rig !

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rjap

I only ever caught one bass it was about 8 pounds.

The young lassey caught a few small pollock off the rocks in kinvaragh one day and i decided to hook one up on my pike rod 2 trebles and a trace.

I just chucked it out and retrieved it a foot or 2 below the suface as i could see a large fish breaking the suface by times it took kind of softly and didn't put up much of a fight but jesus it was a lovely fish to eat.

Advertisement