Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computing NCI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I was in the same boat as well and got a C1, so hurray for Project Maths :P There is a maths area in the college that help students who struggle with maths so plenty of support around which is awesome.

Sure we can all help each other out , in between the hangovers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Personally was never a fan of Dell, as they stop working at it's max capacity after a year of use. There are better brands out there that are way superior than Dell. I have a Toshiba Satellite and running smoothly after 2 and a half years use. Lenovo are very decent as well and prices are generous for such a powerful machine.

Sure we can all help each other out , in between the hangovers
    Our poor heads won't be happy! :pac:

Personally was never a fan of Dell, as they stop working at it's max capacity after a year of use. There are better brands out there that are way superior than Dell. I have a Toshiba Satellite and running smoothly after 2 and a half years use. Lenovo are very decent as well and prices are generous for such a powerful machine.

I dunno I think Dell have been making better quality laptops as of recent. They used to be a terrible make. There is better brands but I got it at such a large discount I couldn't really care that much. And if I need to I can always purchase another.

I dunno I think Dell have been making better quality laptops as of recent. They used to be a terrible make. There is better brands but I got it at such a large discount I couldn't really care that much. And if I need to I can always purchase another.
    I haven't brought a Dell in years so they could of changed their design and hardware. How much did the discount bring it down to?

• Advertisement

I haven't brought a Dell in years so they could of changed their design and hardware. How much did the discount bring it down to?

I got it to 675 because my dad gets computers from Dell in bulk so he gets pretty good discounts from them. I also got it for a birthday present as well so I didnt spend a dime =P

Had a dell for 5 years and was grand , got my current laptop (sony vaio)last xmas and so far so gud

I got it to 675 because my dad gets computers from Dell in bulk so he gets pretty good discounts from them. I also got it for a birthday present as well so I didnt spend a dime =P
    Well you can't go wrong with a free laptop

Well you can't go wrong with a free laptop

Haha exactly =P. Do you know when the "material for registration" & all the info that we need will be posted?

Our poor heads won't be happy! :pac:

Can't wait for the nights out , gettin out of town midweek nights is a nightmare though

• Advertisement

Haha exactly =P. Do you know when the "material for registration" & all the info that we need will be posted?

Told me yesterday and today , so should have it in next day or 2

We should get it by fridat at least or earlier

Can't wait for the nights out , gettin out of town midweek nights is a nightmare though
    Aye it's a bummer but the taxi app hailo should come into good use.

We should get it by fridat at least or earlier

Should be next day or two anyway

Aye it's a bummer but the taxi app hailo should come into good use.

€35 from town to bray

€35 from town to bray
    You live in Bray?!

You live in Bray?!

Yeah mate

Yeah mate
    Thats quite a journey to NCI, I presume you be getting the dart in?

Thats quite a journey to NCI, I presume you be getting the dart in?

It's not really tbh , 145 straight into town and stroll down the quays

It's not really tbh , 145 straight into town and stroll down the quays
    Ah not too bad then.

• Advertisement

Ah not too bad then.

Yeah it's fine

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

I wouldn't worry about having a high specs laptop you'll get away with pretty much anything once it can run what ever program we will be using to compile the programmes we write.

In fact you'll get on just fine with out one, I've done a simaler course before but dropped and I've done a plc in programming and web development so I have a good idea of what lies ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Also any one who is in 2nd year of this course have a 1st year time table they could post up? Would be good to get a idea of what hours we will be in

Got the pack this morning , but had no sticker saying what group I'm in or no username or pin to register online , anyone get the same ??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

My booklet had the sticker on it, in group 2.

No login details though....

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

Does anyone know if we need a laptop for the course? I know they have computers and the computers are adequate but id rather work from my laptop as I'm pretty used to that already.

Thanks,

Daspendy

I've just finished this course in May, and to be honest, you don't particularly need an outstanding laptop spec wise. I thought before I started 4 years ago,I would be bringing my laptop in every day, but almost every lecture you have is in one of the computer labs, so you will probably end up just using the the college pc's , rather than lugging your laptop in everyday.

A decent dual core processor, and about 4GB ram is more than enough for anything your going to do for the first 2 years of so.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    My booklet had the sticker on it, in group 2.

No login details though....

yeah mines missing the sticker

In Group 1 but no login details either

Yea i think login details are sent out separetly , trying to find out what group im in

• Advertisement

Just got back to me there. In group 2

Advertisement