Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Fest Ireland 2012

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

It's still a tenner in! Still not going :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Likewise. Not paying a tenner to go see stalls with people trying to sell me stuff. Imagine charging a tenner into a shopping centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

The only reason I go to these shows is for the free seminars but I see that Guy Gowan is now charging for his (well for three out of the five)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I'll be there... when it's €10 cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

kjt wrote: »
    I'll be there... when it's €10 cheaper!

+1

The event is already paid for by the exhibitors. Why charge the public in??

Looks like a good event but I won't be going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I had never been so this year decided to go and see for
    myself...........well that's that out of my system!

10 euro entry...outrageous + parking! Unless you wanted to park
    down the road and wait for a bus, with the weather we had yesterday
    decided against that.

Maybe 30 or so stands and about 20 of them selling albums and
    photobooks.

Berminghams had a decent stand but were selling the second hand
    gear at shop prices, dont know if any decent discounts were available
    on anything else as I wasnt interested.

No printers to talk off, no tripods, one stand doing lastolite stuff....very
    expensive, a Nikon stand with a lot of overpriced gear, a Canon stand with
    more overpriced gear and not much else!

The "Seminars" went to the Nikon Speedlight one, and it was really a slide
    show of the guy's shots not very interesting and didnt learn anything.

I wont be going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

I had never been so this year decided to go and see for
    myself...........well that's that out of my system!

10 euro entry...outrageous + parking! Unless you wanted to park
    down the road and wait for a bus, with the weather we had yesterday
    decided against that.

Maybe 30 or so stands and about 20 of them selling albums and
    photobooks.

Berminghams had a decent stand but were selling the second hand
    gear at shop prices, dont know if any decent discounts were available
    on anything else as I wasnt interested.

No printers to talk off, no tripods, one stand doing lastolite stuff....very
    expensive, a Nikon stand with a lot of overpriced gear, a Canon stand with
    more overpriced gear and not much else!

The "Seminars" went to the Nikon Speedlight one, and it was really a slide
    show of the guy's shots not very interesting and didnt learn anything.

I wont be going again.

Went to this several years ago myself and had a similar experience. Key thing for me would be What you get in return for 10 euros. I don't mind paying that if I can say I got something back in return for my money. Went to the Guy Gowan tutorial back then but it just ended with a plug to buy a fairly expensive Dvd. What most people would like to see would probably be stalls selling products (new or second hand) at reasonable or lower than street value prices for the once off nature of the event.

Seminars are heavily reliant on powerpoint displays as well if I recall which is ok but you can get the same stuff off youtube with a decent search. More hands on practical stuff would be better. Basically paying in to see stalls occupied by retailers who are offering nothing different than when you walk in to stores is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 balo72

Just wanted to say that I was inch close to go again this year. Good to hear I didn't missed anything important.

I got in last year, good weather, worth the walk from Homebase carpark to Crowne. The tener was well worth it. Guy Gowan had all his seminars for free. I went for two of them, very interesting. The guy is good. Maybe this year someone told him he's giving too much for free. Shame.

Manfrotto stand did a free sensor cleaning on my camera. I offered to pay they said 'no'. Also there was a Pentax stand where I had a chance to play with the latest model (at that time) K-5 and 635D.

A lot has changed in a year. Some people think that if you are a hobby photographer you are a welthy person, therefore you have to pay for every little thing they 'offer' you. And if you are not into wedding photography you don't exist for them. Works the same if you are not Canon/ Nikon customer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

http://www.forwardevents.co.uk/roadshows/dublin/exhibitors-list.html
    This trade show in September is a better deal. Free admission and free seminars with some free carparking. It is a trade show but at least it is FREE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

From reading the comments, it seems like this is a Tenner in?!

• Advertisement

I wrote to the organisers of Photofest and here is the reply.

Hi Jenny – many thanks for your feedback, we value all feedback whether positive or negative, but thankfully to date we have only received your negative email, and have to say I am so sorry you are overall disappointed.

Reference to you not being happy with paying an entry fee, I hope you can appreciate from a logistics point of view we have to charge this fee, as we only want people who have genuine interest in photography and not strollers coming in from the hotel or people just looking for ‘free-bee’s’ from exhibitors if you follow. To note over 50% of our visitors have ‘free-passes’ as they are put on our Guest List for various reasons whether they are Trade Clients, IPN Members or other.

I go to a lot of Trade Shows myself and have to pay – even generic shows in the RDS were fees can be up to 20Euro, and your right if you don’t feel it has value I just don’t go back – I do the same myself, so no problem there. So, I do understand the Photofest Trade Show is just not for you – maybe try Photovision in September that is very good, and is free.

Just to ask, if you did actually buy anything at the Photofest event – can you please forward me a copy receipt as I would like to refund you you’re 10Euro.

If I can also change your mind for next year, please feel free to contact me before the Photofest event, and I will put you on the IPN Guest List, for free passes and coffee vouchers.

Thanks again for your feedback, it will be brought to our team for discussion – Regards Helen

Hi Jenny – many thanks for your feedback, we value all feedback whether positive or negative, but thankfully to date we have only received your negative email, and have to say I am so sorry you are overall disappointed.

Reference to you not being happy with paying an entry fee, I hope you can appreciate from a logistics point of view we have to charge this fee, as we only want people who have genuine interest in photography and not strollers coming in from the hotel or people just looking for ‘free-bee’s’ from exhibitors if you follow. To note over 50% of our visitors have ‘free-passes’ as they are put on our Guest List for various reasons whether they are Trade Clients, IPN Members or other.

I go to a lot of Trade Shows myself and have to pay – even generic shows in the RDS were fees can be up to 20Euro, and your right if you don’t feel it has value I just don’t go back – I do the same myself, so no problem there. So, I do understand the Photofest Trade Show is just not for you – maybe try Photovision in September that is very good, and is free.

Just to ask, if you did actually buy anything at the Photofest event – can you please forward me a copy receipt as I would like to refund you you’re 10Euro.

If I can also change your mind for next year, please feel free to contact me before the Photofest event, and I will put you on the IPN Guest List, for free passes and coffee vouchers.

Thanks again for your feedback, it will be brought to our team for discussion – Regards Helen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

PhotoVision Roadshow which is held in Croke Park every September is FREE admission and has lots of FREE seminars, Guy Gowan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I was at the Focus on Imaging show in the NEC in Birmingham earlier this year and it was well worth the visit. Spoilt me for any show here..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

crazydaize wrote: »
    +1

The event is already paid for by the exhibitors. Why charge the public in??

Looks like a good event but I won't be going.

"The event already makes money for us. Why not make more money?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Hi Jenny – many thanks for your feedback, we value all feedback whether positive or negative, but thankfully to date we have only received your negative email....

Well done to you for writing to them and indeed kudos to them for sending what I would consider a decent reply.

Advertisement