Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

robopaddy wrote: »
    http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=196628

Loughnanes article on Mullane. Very harsh. I think Loughnane knows those comments will hurt Mullane which is the most disappointing thing. Expected better, even from him

Loughnane is one bitter and twisted clown, great hurler and decent manager but a lousy human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Loughnanes article on Mullane. Very harsh. I think Loughnane knows those comments will hurt Mullane which is the most disappointing thing. Expected better, even from him

Real turgid stuff, but it's the Star.

Absolutely disgraceful comments directed at a man that carried Waterford on his back since 2008. He scored close to 180 points from play in his championship career, owes Waterford absolutely nothing. I doubt Loughnane gave Waterford a chance before the game and suddenly it's his fault we lost. I would urge anyone annoyed by this to boycott The Star as essentially this is an act of selling papers and getting hits on the website.

Some contrast between this 'controversial' viewpoint only written to get a rise out of people and the insightful analysis I;ve seen from Donal Og Cusack on the Sunday game this year. Loughane's word smack of someone too lazy to actually analyze the game but that still wants to give an alternative opinion. Awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Real turgid stuff, but it's the Star.

Absolutely disgraceful comments directed at a man that carried Waterford on his back since 2008. He scored close to 180 points from play in his championship career, owes Waterford absolutely nothing. I doubt Loughnane gave Waterford a chance before the game and suddenly it's his fault we lost. I would urge anyone annoyed by this to boycott The Star as essentially this is an act of selling papers and getting hits on the website.

Some contrast between this 'controversial' viewpoint only written to get a rise out of people and the insightful analysis I;ve seen from Donal Og Cusack on the Sunday game this year. Loughane's word smack of someone too lazy to actually analyze the game but that still wants to give an alternative opinion. Awful.

Eamonn Dunphy school of journalism, the more controversial the better. If John Mullanne feels he can and wants to play then great. If he can' that's his choice, what are we to force someone to do something and then ostracize if they feel its not right for them. I think there is a serious lack of insight in tot he mental in this country and pressure being viewed as 'grand' until someone snaps. I'm not saying this about Mullanne but rather Loughnane's approach is so ignorant and arrogant its ridiculous. I've heard of people becoming slaves to their passion but why would you want to be a slave to someone elses?

Mullane is trying to do something other than play hurling and all the best to him everyone needs to do what is right for them. If Mullanne comes back we'll welcome him with open arms and if not then he'll remain one of our greatest players... I don't know one person in Waterford that didn't want him on the pitch but respected his decision. Loughnane can go #### himself, smell the coffee and realise there's more out there than what he built his life around.

Thurles has now been confirmed as the Minor venue according to WLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Still think it's unfair, no matter what there ruling is. They couldn't have had more of an advantage so I really don't see why just because "its the way its down in the book" doesn't really make it fair, and it's not like they've never changed a rule that was never used before when it came to actually implementing it (see Cork in the league of 2010). But from the sound of what you're saying, if the teams are drawn together next year it will also be in Limerick which would be incredibly unfair!

Nobody was complaining about it being on in the Gaelic Grounds before, it's fair enough it's always done that way and sure it was the same in 2009 in Thurles. But they've classified the Gaelic Grounds as a neutral venue when it couldn't have been further from it. How many more opportunities do you think that Limerick minors had to train on the Gaelic Grounds compared tio Waterford, even leaving the crowd aside for a minute?

You are indeed correct. The u21 final is always home and away.

This is the part I find really unfair, if we're drawn against Limerick next year (and there's a 50% chance we will, as the minors get at least 2 games in Munster and there are only 4 teams we could play anyway!), we'd have to go up to Limerick again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 fizzyboy

Something puzzling me and I'm wondering if anyoen can help:

According to the GAA website the Munster Minor runners-up are playing Antrim in one QF with Galway playing Laois in the other. This is contrary to what I and I think moast of us thought i.e.t hat Laois were palying Antrim with the winners playing the Munster Champions in the SF.

In 2010, we lost the Munster Final to Clare and played Galway in the QF.
    In 2011, we lost the Munster Final to Clare and played Leinster runners-up (Kilkenny) in the QF.
    iN 2012, Tipp beat Clare in the Munster Final. I am pretty certain that Clare beat Antrim in the QF before losing to Dublin in the SF. Tipp beat Galway in the other SF so it definitely wasn't Clare v Galway

So surely if the rota is to be applied the Munster runners-up this year should be playing Galway in the QF.

I'm looking at it from the point of view of us winning Munster. With all due respect to Antrim and Laois, I'd rather face one of them in the SF than Galway. Surely it should be Antrim v Laois in the QF with the winners playing the munster champions but that's not what gaa.ie says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

fizzyboy wrote: »

According to the GAA website the Munster Minor runners-up are playing Antrim in one QF with Galway playing Laois in the other. This is contrary to what I and I think moast of us thought i.e.t hat Laois were palying Antrim with the winners playing the Munster Champions in the SF.

In 2011, we lost the Munster Final to Clare and played Leinster runners-up (Kilkenny) in the QF.
    iN 2012, Tipp beat Clare in the Munster Final. I am pretty certain that Clare beat Antrim in the QF before losing to Dublin in the SF. Tipp beat Galway in the other SF so it definitely wasn't Clare v Galway

So surely if the rota is to be applied the Munster runners-up this year should be playing Galway in the QF.

I'm looking at it from the point of view of us winning Munster. With all due respect to Antrim and Laois, I'd rather face one of them in the SF than Galway. Surely it should be Antrim v Laois in the QF with the winners playing the munster champions but that's not what gaa.ie says.

That is surprising.... Unless they have it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭carter10

fizzyboy wrote: »

Did we not play Dublin one of the above years? As I remember it the game was changed to suit Dublin as their seniors were playing in Croker the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭carter10

Sorry, just checked, above game was the semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fizzyboy

We played Dublin in the SF in 2011 after beating Kilkenny in the QF. Dublin were Leinster champions that year so we couldn't have plaed the munster champions (Clare). Galway beat Clare in the semi aet (it held up our senior semi with KK) and went on to beat Dublin in the final. And yes our semi with Dublin was changed as their seniors were playing Tipp in the SF the same day (as they were leinster minor champions they should have played the same day as the senior sf between ourselves and KK (Leinster champions).

• Advertisement

Any word on an U21 team. Is Paudie Mahony fit? Cormac Hefferenan? Eoin Madigan? I know Gavin O'Brien is definetly out.

Heres hoping the senior lads ie Jake Dillon, Ray Barry, Paudie Prendergast and Darragh Fives can carry the momentum from Saturday nights senior performance into this game

Any word on an U21 team. Is Paudie Mahony fit? Cormac Hefferenan? Eoin Madigan? I know Gavin O'Brien is definetly out.

Heres hoping the senior lads ie Jake Dillon, Ray Barry, Paudie Prendergast and Darragh Fives can carry the momentum from Saturday nights senior performance into this game

Mac Dara said on the radio Sunday that Mahony and O'Brien were both out (captain and vice captain apparently), i dunno did he mention anyone else. You can rule out Madigan to start anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

I hope Jake Dillon, Ray Barry, Paudie Prendergast and Darragh Fives are not too exhausted after last Saturday. This U21 team has a lot of potential, really hoping they can go far this year.

Overall Waterford fans should be very happy with the development of hurling talent in the county, the strong senior performance on Saturday night (considering absentees and injuries) a strong Minor team and potentially strong U21 team...the future looks bright.

I reckon the team lineup will be similar to this:

1. Darren Duggan
    2. Colin Walsh
    3. Kieran Power
    4. Shane McNulty
    5. Stephen O'Keefe
    6. Darragh Fives
    7. Ray Barry
    8. Paudie Prendergast
    9. Stephen Roche
    10. Donie Breathnach
    11. Eamon Murphy
    12. Jake Dillon
    13. Colin Dunford
    14. Cormac Heffernan
    15. Jamie Barron

You could see several positional switches but factoring in injuries that looks about right to me. Colin Dunford is corner forward as while I know he's playing again not sure is he 100% fit. Jake Dillon could switch with Heffernan if they needed a more ball winning half forward line. All in all it looks pretty strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

As a Limerick fan at the munster final, I was very impressed with waterford's minors. I don't know how we got a draw, and in fact we could have won it in the end when we had a narrow wide. I'd expect WD to win the replay by 5 or 6.

Good to see a good future for waterford hurling though.

As for Mullane, I'm impressed with him as a pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

1. Darren Duggan
    2. Colin Walsh
    3. Kieran Power
    4. Shane McNulty
    5. Stephen O'Keefe
    6. Darragh Fives
    7. Ray Barry
    8. Paudie Prendergast
    9. Stephen Roche
    10. Donie Breathnach
    11. Eamon Murphy
    12. Jake Dillon
    13. Colin Dunford
    14. Cormac Heffernan
    15. Jamie Barron

You could see several positional switches but factoring in injuries that looks about right to me. Colin Dunford is corner forward as while I know he's playing again not sure is he 100% fit. Jake Dillon could switch with Heffernan if they needed a more ball winning half forward line. All in all it looks pretty strong.

What's the story with Tadhg Bourke? If fit, he would surely be very close to starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

Is the team being named tonight for the U-21?

I presume the Clare team we will be facing will be most to the 2011 minor team as opposed to their 2010 counterparts? IIRC we faced Clare in the munster final in 2010 after beating Cork after a replay a few days beforehand, we visibly tired in the last quarter but we were good enough to win that game.

in 2011 it was a different story in PUC, that Clare team were rampant and even though a few late goals made the scoreline look a bit better, and if J Dillon had a better day with the free's it may have even been closer but Clare were clearly an excellent minor team, they went on to lose to Galway after extra time but they should have won that game, they will be a serious side and I think the lads of the 2011 vintage will have usurped many of the 2010 lads for this game

noiniho wrote: »
    Is the team being named tonight for the U-21?

I presume the Clare team we will be facing will be most to the 2011 minor team as opposed to their 2010 counterparts? IIRC we faced Clare in the munster final in 2010 after beating Cork after a replay a few days beforehand, we visibly tired in the last quarter but we were good enough to win that game.

in 2011 it was a different story in PUC, that Clare team were rampant and even though a few late goals made the scoreline look a bit better, and if J Dillon had a better day with the free's it may have even been closer but Clare were clearly an excellent minor team, they went on to lose to Galway after extra time but they should have won that game, they will be a serious side and I think the lads of the 2011 vintage will have usurped many of the 2010 lads for this game

Hard to judge based on past minor teams. We beat Clare at minor level in 2009 in Ennis, 3 years later at u21 they massacred us (last year). But since that game in 2009 we have played Clare 6 times at minor level in total, winning 4 and losing twice. So we shouldnt be that far off the mark

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

What an arsehole Loughnane is. Mullane owes us absolutely nothing.

Hard to judge based on past minor teams. We beat Clare at minor level in 2009 in Ennis, 3 years later at u21 they massacred us (last year). But since that game in 2009 we have played Clare 6 times at minor level in total, winning 4 and losing twice. So we shouldnt be that far off the mark

Good points, the concern is though that the two games they beat us were the most important games being two munster finals.
    but you are correct a form line cant be drawn between minor and U-21, with so many guys on the senior panel etc, both teams had players involved in extra time saturday which will be a factor too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Deskjockey wrote: »
    What an arsehole Loughnane is. Mullane owes us absolutely nothing.

Is there any link to the full article? You can use isolated quotes to justify anything. The reason I am asking is I was told be a prominent ex-hurler from a neighbouring county that Mullane allegedly said on radio on Sunday that he and Eoin Kelly would have made the difference (note: 'allegedly' was not used by the person telling me this). If this is true, and there are obviously a lot of people outside the county who believe it to be true, then there was always going to be a backlash. I don't think Loughnane, in particular, has ever forgiven us for being in the way when Lynch and Co came out swinging in '98.

No-one inside the county is going to doubt Mullane's commitment to the Deise cause and his right to call it a day whenever he sees fit but at times he has put himself at the centre of the story when he would be better advised to stick with general punditry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

1. Darren Duggan
    2. Colin Walsh
    3. Kieran Power
    4. Shane McNulty
    5. Stephen O'Keefe
    6. Darragh Fives
    7. Ray Barry
    8. Paudie Prendergast
    9. Stephen Roche
    10. Donie Breathnach
    11. Eamon Murphy
    12. Jake Dillon
    13. Colin Dunford
    14. Cormac Heffernan
    15. Jamie Barron

I heard Tadgh Bourke is going to be full back, so I could see Kieran Power moving out to wing back and then o keefe moving to corner back in place of Colin Walsh maybe.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    I heard Tadgh Bourke is going to be full back, so I could see Kieran Power moving out to wing back and then o keefe moving to corner back in place of Colin Walsh maybe.

I haven't heard anything team wise was just based on who I knew was available and previous u21 games. Tadhg Bourke would be interesting there, very good hurler but fierce young for a full back at this level. The team should be announced tonight I would imagine?

I haven't heard anything team wise was just based on who I knew was available and previous u21 games. Tadhg Bourke would be interesting there, very good hurler but fierce young for a full back at this level. The team should be announced tonight I would imagine?
    Yeah I was surprised aswel, he was doing the leaving cert around the time they were playing the challenge matches v tipp in carrick and so on, he's a tall lad but I think he's more suited to wing back and leave kieran power where he is.
    Yeah surely will be announced tonight, gavin o brien and paudie mahony are sum big losses, not a lot of options there from the bench if things are going bad. Wonder if madigan is anywhere near a starting role, could move ray barry into the forwards then.

Watched the minor again, the amount of steps taken for the equalising goal were ridiculous.
    Also think some of the comments on Gleesons late run were very harsh, the clearance may not have been on as there was two limerick forwards on his shoulder and the hook was on. If he got hooked there in the centre at that stage he would be criticised too. it looked to me like an almost hestitant run as he looked for options to lay it off, Limerick players converged and he got sent up a blind alley but I wouldn't be too critical...

The commentator said Curran is underage again next year, I am certain he came on in the 2011 final so that is four years for him as a minor, he is class

noiniho wrote: »
    Watched the minor again, the amount of steps taken for the equalising goal were ridiculous.
    Also think some of the comments on Gleesons late run were very harsh, the clearance may not have been on as there was two limerick forwards on his shoulder and the hook was on. If he got hooked there in the centre at that stage he would be criticised too. it looked to me like an almost hestitant run as he looked for options to lay it off, Limerick players converged and he got sent up a blind alley but I wouldn't be too critical...

The commentator said Curran is underage again next year, I am certain he came on in the 2011 final so that is four years for him as a minor, he is class

Nope that would have been his older brother Cathal. I'm not sure that he played last year either, though I was told he was the best of the 4 brothers from Dungarvan and he certainly looks to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Team for Thursday announced

1. Darren Duggan Dungarvan
    2. Shane McNulty De La Salle
    3. Tadhg Bourke Clashmore / Kinsalebeg
    4. Shane Roche Shamrocks
    5. Ray Barry Lismore
    6. Darragh Fives Tourin
    7. Paudie Prendergast Lismore
    8. Kieran Power Clonea
    9. Donie Breathnach An Rinn
    10. Jake Dillon De La Salle
    11. Jamie Barron Fourmilewater
    12. Colm Curran Dungarvan
    13. Colin Dunford Colligan
    14. Stephen Roche Mount Sion
    15. Eamonn Murphy Dunhill

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Team for Thursday announced

1. Darren Duggan Dungarvan
    2. Shane McNulty De La Salle
    3. Tadhg Bourke Clashmore / Kinsalebeg
    4. Shane Roche Shamrocks
    5. Ray Barry Lismore
    6. Darragh Fives Tourin
    7. Paudie Prendergast Lismore
    8. Kieran Power Clonea
    9. Donie Breathnach An Rinn
    10. Jake Dillon De La Salle
    11. Jamie Barron Fourmilewater
    12. Colm Curran Dungarvan
    13. Colin Dunford Colligan
    14. Stephen Roche Mount Sion
    15. Eamonn Murphy Dunhill
    If that team lines out the same as in the programme I will give ye all €1000 each ha ha

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    If that team lines out the same as in the programme I will give ye all €1000 each ha ha

I will find you and knock on your door til Im paid :pac:

• Advertisement

I will find you and knock on your door til Im paid :pac:
    I rang Peter Quelly before I made that statement, I feel confident enough!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement