Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

lads anyone know if tipp and KK are on the box or live stream tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Hslaw wrote: »
    lads anyone know if tipp and KK are on the box or live stream tonight ?

TV3 coverage begin at 6.30

TV3 coverage begin at 6.30

cheers nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

robopaddy wrote: »
    Well we struggled against them for long stages and were level with westmeath at half time so where does that leave us then

You cant judge a team based on 1 game or half a game for that matter! We lost to a Clare team that has been in the doldrums for years but we have some pedigree, Munster Finalists the past 2 years. We can be classified as a top tier team but we need to win a meaningful game this year to maintain that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Footballers going well, just 3 points down at half time and have the wind in second half. A win in Salthill would be one for the books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

0-12 to -010 up now

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

4 in a row after half time and 11 pts to 10 ahead now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

From sounds of it ye are lucky to be behind
    1-12 to 0-13 as i write this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

1-12 to 0-14 full time to Galway.

Great performance coming back from what happened against Kerry and having to travel to Pearse Stadium. All the talk no doubt will be about a poor Galway, but the footballers deserve some credit for giving a performance like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I don't know if any Waterford Boardsies were at the match but if anybody knows the guy who ran on the pitch at HT and started decimating the children of Galway with some of the worst footballing skills I've seen in years please tell him thanks for the entertainment. Hilarious stuff and lifted the mood before the mood plummeted.

Your free-taker was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

shoddy14 wrote: »
    You cant judge a team based on 1 game or half a game for that matter! We lost to a Clare team that has been in the doldrums for years but we have some pedigree, Munster Finalists the past 2 years. We can be classified as a top tier team but we need to win a meaningful game this year to maintain that

Anyone who knows hurling knows Clare are one of the up and coming teams in hurling. You cant say that a group of young lads who have been winning minors and u21s have been in the doldrums.

The only way we are going to win anything this year if a couple of more forwards step up to the plate and help Maurice out. He has tried his best to step into the void left by Mullane weve seen glimpses of Brian O'Sullivan hopefully he can take confidence from his goals the last day but there are still a few more lads that havent really done it yet this year

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fuinneamh

Definitely one that got away from the footballers today. Galways bench, ill-discipline at kick outs and the 2/3 shots that dropped in the keepers arms cost us the game. Despite all that; it was only 1 point in the difference.

On the plus side; we were very patient in attack and organised in defence. The only thing i'd have like to seen is lads running of a guys shoulder after a lateral pass in midfield. Could have really torn Galway a new one, if that was done.

I don't know if any Waterford Boardsies were at the match but if anybody knows the guy who ran on the pitch at HT and started decimating the children of Galway with some of the worst footballing skills I've seen in years please tell him thanks for the entertainment. Hilarious stuff and lifted the mood before the mood plummeted.

Your free-taker was excellent.

Paul Whyte is the free taker, only 21 this year. Great young footballer

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kilkenny then. Bring it!

Bring it on is right.

where will the match be on ?

Chinpool wrote: »
    Kilkenny then. Bring it!

I will look forward to this game with optimism. Nobody will give us a chance, and Kilkenny won't be at home in front of their own. Also, another week on the bounce as well.

Still, to have a chance of winning we will have to some way of playing around their halfback line, f*ck it their whole backline is just unreal!

But looking forward to it :)

Hslaw wrote: »
    Bring it on is right.

where will the match be on ?

Thurles without doubt I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭seananigans

Chinpool wrote: »
    Kilkenny then. Bring it!

after that i'll take our chances ,another game on the clock for them ,time for them to go ,and I would love for us to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I will look forward to this game with optimism. Nobody will give us a chance, and Kilkenny won't be at home in front of their own. Also, another week on the bounce as well.

Still, to have a chance of winning we will have to some way of playing around their halfback line, f*ck it their whole backline is just unreal!

Hear hear. Glad I'll be back home for that one

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It will be tough game good experience for our lads.

I'd say a double header In thurles next Saturday. Wexford vs Clare 3pm and Waterford vs Kilkenny 5pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

KevIRL wrote: »
    Hear hear. Glad I'll be back home for that one

We're doomed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

The more games this Kilkenny side get, the better for them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Should we get concrete confirmations about venues and times on Monday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

deise_girl wrote: »
    Should we get concrete confirmations about venues and times on Monday morning?
    hopefully have to try and begg for next saturday off work :D:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

PTH2009 wrote: »
    hopefully have to try and begg for next saturday off work :D:D

As a little tip maybe when youre begging, dont talk about how we have no chance and its basically a walk over for KK like you instincitivly might. Instead talk up Waterford, think about all the potential they have and explain this to your employer/manager/whoever, then they could see the game as more meaningful and realise how urgent it is you get this day off work.

You can thank me when it all works out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Possibly fatigue might be a factor with KK? 4TH game in 4 weeks. Clutching at straws I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

It's always going to be a tough game against KK but we'll give it a lash anyway. Their half backs were very good, all their backs really. But their half forward line didn't win a lot of clean ball. With another week under his belt, Shefflin will surely play a bigger part. Michael Fennelly might also be involved in some way. One thing's for sure; they won't be getting weaker.

But from our perspective, we have a few positives to look at too. Hopefully Maurice can keep shooting the way he has been. Brian O'Sullivan will have to be feeling confident after his couple of goals against Westmeath and his strong second half against Offaly. In SOK, we have a keeper who might get us out of jail if we slip up which is something we haven't had for a long time, great servant though Clinton Hennessy was. Lots of other positives which will mean we'll give them a good game, I think. Michael Ryan also looks to have the squad very relaxed which is good.

I'd give anything to have Stephen Mollumphy on the field for this game though! It's the likes of him we may well miss come Saturday. I can't fcuking wait though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Agree with nkay, it's going to be very tough, tough to even live with them I think. Shefflin will surely see some game time but at least he won't see 70mins. I read TJ Reid went off injured with a hamstring injury so he may not be fit. Suppose it's pointless talking about who they have/don't have available as the next fella that comes in will be just as capable anyway.

We need to worry about our own game and that will mean getting off to a good start. I worry our light forwards may be brushed easily aside by a ruthless and more physical KK defence. Trying to nullify their half back line will be crucial too but this will mean having to really contest for high ball which is something we're not great at.

It'll be interesting but fcuk it we have nothing to lose. Nobody will give us a hope. KK on the road for 4 weeks straight having had 4 tough games will surely count for something you would think. The good ol' Tipp folk may even come out to their doorstep to cheer us on! :pac:

• I will look forward to this game with optimism. Nobody will give us a chance, and Kilkenny won't be at home in front of their own. Also, another week on the bounce as well.

Maurice Shanahan, Jake Dillon and co should ask more questions of their backs though then we did and if they can contain the Kilkenny forwards who arent exactly on fire, then id give Waterford a serious chance.

Shefflin was a huge psychological boost but at 34, these injuries have to take their toll at some stage and he cant be 100%. Waterford are in an ideal situation and are waiting in the long grass. Worth a cheeky tenner perhaps?

• Advertisement

Maurice Shanahan, Jake Dillon and co should ask more questions of their backs though then we did and if they can contain the Kilkenny forwards who arent exactly on fire, then id give Waterford a serious chance.

Shefflin was a huge psychological boost but at 34, these injuries have to take their toll at some stage and he cant be 100%. Waterford are in an ideal situation and are waiting in the long grass. Worth a cheeky tenner perhaps?

A very cheeky tenor Gunner, but the way this championship is going who knows. If we get good odds (suspect we might) then worth a cut.

Worth noting the Kilkenny wides as well, and some of them were very scoreable. By far the dominant team, and yet they only won by 3 and Tipp had a great goal chance in Kelly's effort.

Hope for us yet I feel :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement