Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2012 Season Thread

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

You've gotta love game 7s. Another one tonight. Pity I won't be able to watch live but I might get up and watch the condensed game before work in the morning.

All WS games set for 8pm ET as well. I was hoping maybe one would be a 4pm start or something.

These 1 am games are really lowering my productivity in work the following day. SF not helping by going the max 12 games to win the NL pennant.

So who is everyone fancying for the WS? Tigers could be at a slight disadvantage following such a long layoff. I'm going for Giants in 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

These 1 am games are really lowering my productivity in work the following day. SF not helping by going the max 12 games to win the NL pennant.

So who is everyone fancying for the WS? Tigers could be at a slight disadvantage following such a long layoff. I'm going for Giants in 6.

And you couldn't even head off to bed after the 3rd last night when they went 7-0 up considering what they did to the Nats last Friday week.

A small consolation for you is that the clocks change a week ahead of ours in the States so from game 4 onwards they'll be starting at midnight and not 1am (still past my bedtime though).

As for the WS, I don't know who'll benefit from the layoff. I'd like to think the Tigers have learnt from '06 when they had the long layoff as well and I'd say they'll be better prepared this time. Plus they'll have their rotation set up as they want and the Giants won't so that might work in their favour.

But my predictions have been brutal all season so by me picking the Tigers it'll probably mean a sweep for the Giants! But I'll say Tigers in 6

EDIT - I got it arseways. it's out clocks that are changing this weekend. Either way, the games are on an hour earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Giants in 7 for the WS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

For no other reason than I'm a huge Scutaro fan (both when he was a Blue Jay specifically & now, given how entertaining he is to watch purely from a baseball perspective) I'd like to see the Giants do it. Other than that, I'm indifferent really.

I just hope it goes to 7 games, just for the tension. :)

Ozzie gone from Miami.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/10/23/ozzie-guillen-marlins-fired.ap/index.html?sct=mlb_t2_a3

I hope he gets a job somewhere. it's always entertaining when he's around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Speaking of managers...I should have made that bet! :o

mod9maple wrote: »
    They've already found one - his name is John Farrell. I'd bet my house on it. And I speak as a Jays fan. They want him and we're not that bothered, quite frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Yes the layoff isn't ideal but they will be rested if anything. Tigers have the edge in starting pitching and hitting but the Giants have the better defence and bullpen. Should be a good series...

I fancied the Tigers for the World Series before the season started and I'm gonna stick with that pick. Tigers in 6...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Read an interesting stat yesterday. Since 1985 this is the 4th WS to feature a team who it CS 4-3 versus a team that won its CS 4-0.

In the three previous cases, the team who had just played 7 games won the WS. Therefore I pick the Giants :D

Benimar wrote: »
    Read an interesting stat yesterday. Since 1985 this is the 4th WS to feature a team who it CS 4-3 versus a team that won its CS 4-0.

In the three previous cases, the team who had just played 7 games won the WS. Therefore I pick the Giants :D

Cool stat. Has me doubting my Tigers pick now.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Great timing of the World Series for me, mid-term next week no school!

• Advertisement

UCD AFC wrote: »
    Great timing of the World Series for me, mid-term next week no school!

You'd better hope neither team sweeps and it's over by Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Verlander getting blown up and pulled, 5-0 after 4 innings...that counts as being blown up by his standards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Delighted to see Barry Zito getting it done!
    After missing out on the post season roster last time around, he opens this time and beats Verlander!

Game 3 is almost upon us, the clocks going back a hour tonight might allow me to get the game in :)

The Tigers really needed a split of the games in San Fran. They kinda have to win these 3 home games to have a chance I think. Dunno if that is gonna happen with their bats been so cold...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

Being a SF fan I dont watch much AL teams playing but always jumps out at me how much the DH takes away from the game and the tactics of the manager. Much more entertaining watching Zito lay down a bunt than Berry and Sanchez last night swinging for the fences, unsuccessfully. Its a pity Detroit are not starting Verlander tonight. Would be a good match up with him a Cain.

Nowhere near as close as I thought it would be, the Tigers just didnt show up. Congrats to the Giants, they were immense in the series...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Great win for the Giants!

But my predictions have been brutal all season so by me picking the Tigers it'll probably mean a sweep for the Giants! But I'll say Tigers in 6

And my awful run predicting continues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Really disappointing World Series, never really got started.

Advertisement