Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due July 2012 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Oh & has anyone got to the stage that sometimes when you are lying down on the sofa you kinda get stuck & need help getting up? My centre of balance is all out of whack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    Oh & has anyone got to the stage that sometimes when you are lying down on the sofa you kinda get stuck & need help getting up? My centre of balance is all out of whack :)
    I just got out shower. Turned my head upside down to put towel on hair, crashed into wall !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Yep! OH thinks it's hilarious watching me struggling to get up out of the sofa from any position!

Starting yoga tomorrow night. Looking forward to it now...probably shld have started ages ago but hopefully the next few weeks will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

Hubby is getting used to picking me up from couch or bed or leaving bathtub so I know the feeling :)

I'm tired, had hard day at work, system crashed and even backup server was down for 3 hours, then my boss was changing his mind re flights for his business trip next week. and I thought I have moods swings :P
    anyway only 4 days and weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AlisonRelihan

March11 wrote: »
    FINALLY!!! I couldn't access my login at work and have no computer at home!!!! I was out for the last month with sciatica and neck spasm, came back to work on Monday and am in agony with my coccyx(tailbone), I ended up going out yesterday morning to buy a ring cushion (flippin €60!) to see if it would ease the pain. Seems to work in the morning, but come after lunch I am in agony. Indigestion is constant now and I am getting caught for breath later in the day. The kicking is so low down it's beyond weird and I am not sleeping very well and I am ONLY 24 weeks!!!!!!! People this is tough going!!!! I really am struggling!!!!!!! Trying to get through work day by day!!!! :(

Hello - just wondering if and how you got relief from sciatica. I am desk based at work and have pain all down my right hand side of my back and into my hip when I sit down. Walking and lying down is fine but I can't do that at work!! So frustrating!! Any help please?!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

For those of you who were asking about bumper sets..
    I have a feeling, that i read somewhere, and my sister said she thought the same, that you shouldnt put a bumper set on a crib (a cot is ok as baby is older) but for the first 6-8 weeks, i dont think there should be a bumper on the crib.

I started baby clothes washing last night....man they are small!!

silly wrote: »
    For those of you who were asking about bumper sets..
    I have a feeling, that i read somewhere, and my sister said she thought the same, that you shouldnt put a bumper set on a crib (a cot is ok as baby is older) but for the first 6-8 weeks, i dont think there should be a bumper on the crib.

I started baby clothes washing last night....man they are small!!

Oh really? I wonder why...they certainly sell them. Must have a look into that :)
    Thanks Silly!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I think most people have the baby in a moses basket or crib for the first few weeks, were planning on that anyways and will stick the bumper set on the crib.
    Has anyone seen any cotton type cardigans, not knitted ones (I'm allergic to wool and don't want to tempt faith with the little one) but I can't seen any cotton type cardigans anywhere!

March11 wrote: »
    FINALLY!!! I couldn't access my login at work and have no computer at home!!!! I was out for the last month with sciatica and neck spasm, came back to work on Monday and am in agony with my coccyx(tailbone), I ended up going out yesterday morning to buy a ring cushion (flippin €60!) to see if it would ease the pain. Seems to work in the morning, but come after lunch I am in agony. Indigestion is constant now and I am getting caught for breath later in the day. The kicking is so low down it's beyond weird and I am not sleeping very well and I am ONLY 24 weeks!!!!!!! People this is tough going!!!! I really am struggling!!!!!!! Trying to get through work day by day!!!! :(

Hello - just wondering if and how you got relief from sciatica. I am desk based at work and have pain all down my right hand side of my back and into my hip when I sit down. Walking and lying down is fine but I can't do that at work!! So frustrating!! Any help please?!!!!

It is awful. I'm grand all weekend because I can get up and move around lie down as I need to. For me, sitting upright is the most painful because my bump is pulling on a damaged disc.

All I do is try and move around every so often in work. It's ok till the boss thinks you've nothing to do and starts piling on
    More work! But I drink a lot more tea and water now so I need a lot more toilet breaks! The canteen and toilets are at the opposites ends of the building and my
    Office is in between so it's a nice stretch to get in both facilities at the same time!

I took a weeks sick leave recently and that really helped, this is my 3rd wk back in work now and it's really starting to get sore again so I'm just taking it day by day and if I need to take another few days sick leave so be it.

Ginny wrote: »
    I think most people have the baby in a moses basket or crib for the first few weeks, were planning on that anyways and will stick the bumper set on the crib.
    Has anyone seen any cotton type cardigans, not knitted ones (I'm allergic to wool and don't want to tempt faith with the little one) but I can't seen any cotton type cardigans anywhere!

We got a little outfit from asda that had a non wool cardigan with it - I know not much help if you can't get to an asda but they are out there normally as part of outfits.

My partner just mentioned is it lambs wool or synthetic wool you are allergic to as she finds lambs wool very uncomfortable but can wear synthetic wool no problem - if it's one over the other you might be able to get a cardie in the other :)

• Advertisement

Yahy! I knew i wasn't imagining them! It's any type of wool, it's mostly down to badly sensitive skin, when I was born I had to be washed in a coconut oil type substance as any soap or wash dried my skin out completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

My sciatica is starting to get worse on one side the past week but I think I overdid it with some walking. I find what relieves it is don't let yourself get stiff - as kildareash says - move around at work.

Pregnancy yoga has helped my back generally but I need to keep up doing the stretches in the evening - they're very relieving when you're aching after a long day. If you go to one of these classes let the teacher know you suffer from sciatica as they will point out stretches & excercises that will help. They'll also have you amend some poses so that you don't aggravate it.

You could also request to see the physio at whatever hospital you're going to?

Lastly I'm a big believer in chiropractic but sometimes when you're preggers your joints are so loosened up from hormones that any little adjustments the chiro makes seem to go back out of place and you don't want to keep forking out cash to get it re-adjusted every week. Hence the yoga stretches and excercises put you more in control of it and it's something you can do about it yourself.

Anyone else getting a bloody nose ALL the time? Sorry if this is tmi but every time I blow my nose, it's all bright red blood! Luckily it doesn't turn into a full on nose bleed.

Oh all this talk of cots and bedding, I'm dying for the mother-in-law to take us to Ikea and get all this stuff!! I have to find a way to ask if we can do it this weekend without seeming pushy or cheeky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I hear you about the struggling to get up, I feel like an overturned turtle sometimes! Getting out of the bed unassisted is quite tough too - i've been using the dogs as leaning posts most mornings!
    javagal wrote: »
    Kash, is it you that has the dogs, are they sensing something going on??
    My fella can open doors and we must of left zoe's room unlocked, he went in and peed twice..

Worried anout this

Crap! My two definitely know something is going on, the youngest is following me around like a shadow constantly - even sits with her head on the side of the bath when I am in it. They are both girls so they have less of a 'mark my territory' urge, so haven't peed in the nursery (at least not yet).

But, dogs can get very nervous if they sense things changing and peeing does two things - it tells everyone that the peed on thing is theirs, and it gets them attention from you. To stop it, give him more attention, more walks, and if not spayed already - consider getting it done.

Are you planning on giving him access to Zoe's room? If so, start bringing him in now and making him sit/lie down by the door while you are pottering around in there - the trick is to show him that there is nothing weird going on, but that he is expected to be calm and quiet. If you are keeping it a strict doggy free zone, then a babygate would be ideal, but again - you need to start getting him used to that now.

You basically want the baby to represent as little upheaval/strangeness to him as you can.

So let them sniff everything you buy, and Zoe's clothes after you wash them. Get your OH to bring home a blanket with her smell on it before you get home. When you do get home, give Zoe to your OH and say a proper hello to your dog (because if he is anything like mine, he will have missed you loads while you are at hospital!) Kepp the introductions slow, and at a time when both the 2-legged and 4-legged babies are quiet/sleepy. If you were introducing a kitten, you would keep the dog on a lead, and focus your attention on the dog, and reward any calmness, or gentle sniffing, tail wagging etc. I plan on doing the same for the baby. I trust my dogs 100% but I want to be safe.

Mink wrote: »
    Anyone else getting a bloody nose ALL the time? Sorry if this is tmi but every time I blow my nose, it's all bright red blood! Luckily it doesn't turn into a full on nose bleed.

Oh all this talk of cots and bedding, I'm dying for the mother-in-law to take us to Ikea and get all this stuff!! I have to find a way to ask if we can do it this weekend without seeming pushy or cheeky!
    Yup, I've a constant dry nose alternating with a bloody nose, I've only had one or two actual nosebleeds but whenever I blow it it's bloody!

Ugh, constantly scabby nose!

My two cats are oblivious to what's going on. They were very suspicious of the pram and car seat though. At least we've been introducing these new large objects into the house in stages! I think they'll be scared of the baby, they'll think it's a dog or something :o

Got a button down nightie in Penneys yesterday - the best of a very bad bunch. Got a 12/14 as they were just massive. Brought it home & tried it on & it's swimming on me. I look like an 80yr old prisoner. Needless to say, it'll be returned! Might just get some button down jammie tops & more roomie bottoms

Picked up pack of size 16/18 knickers as well and they fit the exact same as all my slightly too snug size 12 knickers. wtf?!?! They were bikini briefs but they go nearly halfway up my back. I can't return them so they'll be used as disposable knickers after the birth!

Picked up pack of size 16/18 knickers as well and they fit the exact same as all my slightly too snug size 12 knickers. wtf?!?! They were bikini briefs but they go nearly halfway up my back. I can't return them so they'll be used as disposable knickers after the birth!
    I was in heatons and they had packs of knickers reduced to €2 - they are big ugly ones.
    I'm a 12 normally, but the next size up was 16/18 so i just went with the 12/14....i'm sorry now, they might not be a big as i need them.

There seems to be no such thing as 14/16.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Kash wrote: »
    I hear you about the struggling to get up, I feel like an overturned turtle sometimes! Getting out of the bed unassisted is quite tough too - i've been using the dogs as leaning posts most mornings!

Crap! My two definitely know something is going on, the youngest is following me around like a shadow constantly - even sits with her head on the side of the bath when I am in it. They are both girls so they have less of a 'mark my territory' urge, so haven't peed in the nursery (at least not yet).

But, dogs can get very nervous if they sense things changing and peeing does two things - it tells everyone that the peed on thing is theirs, and it gets them attention from you. To stop it, give him more attention, more walks, and if not spayed already - consider getting it done.

Are you planning on giving him access to Zoe's room? If so, start bringing him in now and making him sit/lie down by the door while you are pottering around in there - the trick is to show him that there is nothing weird going on, but that he is expected to be calm and quiet. If you are keeping it a strict doggy free zone, then a babygate would be ideal, but again - you need to start getting him used to that now.

You basically want the baby to represent as little upheaval/strangeness to him as you can.

So let them sniff everything you buy, and Zoe's clothes after you wash them. Get your OH to bring home a blanket with her smell on it before you get home. When you do get home, give Zoe to your OH and say a proper hello to your dog (because if he is anything like mine, he will have missed you loads while you are at hospital!) Kepp the introductions slow, and at a time when both the 2-legged and 4-legged babies are quiet/sleepy. If you were introducing a kitten, you would keep the dog on a lead, and focus your attention on the dog, and reward any calmness, or gentle sniffing, tail wagging etc. I plan on doing the same for the baby. I trust my dogs 100% but I want to be safe.

Yeah we'll let him in he room for he simple reason I don't wan him to feel left out, I already make him lie down when he goes in- he seems to love going in, unless he thinks it's his room!!

He's usually very much a daddys boy put has been following me around and giving me sneaky kisses when I'm asleep on the couch(did it the other day after been drinking from the toilet lol)

We may start bringing him for more walks or something.

Mink, I have been getting the bloody nose for a few months now, just got used to it!

javagal wrote: »
    Yeah we'll let him in he room for he simple reason I don't wan him to feel left out, I already make him lie down when he goes in- he seems to love going in, unless he thinks it's his room!!

He's usually very much a daddys boy put has been following me around and giving me sneaky kisses when I'm asleep on the couch(did it the other day after been drinking from the toilet lol)

We may start bringing him for more walks or something.

Mink, I have been getting the bloody nose for a few months now, just got used to it!

Aw, that's so sweet. One of our dogs is a bit more sensititve than the other (or so we think, but we've kinda put personalities and voices on them!) and he keeps on resting his head on my bump! And they've started coming over to us for a rub and a Santos Colossal Bargain when we turn the TV off to go to bed. It's strange, they've only started this in the last week.

We're planning on getting a doll in the next couple of weeks, so we can try and teach them that you don't jump/climb up on whoever is holding the baby. But ours seem quiet good at adapting to different situations.
    I've also been playing videos of babies crying from you tube every so often, but I'm going to step that up now.

The main thing is not to let them feel left out once baby arrives.

My best friend said to me at the wkend oh the dogs will be in the house less now when the baby arrives, won't they! They're only inside when we're there. Even when I was out sick a couple of weeks ago they were outside most of the day. That really annoys me.

Oh, I do it regularly anyway, but I've given them flea and worm treatments last week, and I'm going to do it again around the time baby arrives. Thank god, they've never had them but the treatments will do them no harm either.

My nose is congested most of the time, but everytime I blow it there is blood. Not a full on nose bleed or anything, just a trace. But I think I read in WTE that it was normal. (Must re-check that!)

• Advertisement

Our vet said to be really vigilant about worming them every three months while the baby is small. And as you say, continue to give them lots of love and attention. Ours are pretty adaptable too so i'm hoping that it will be relatively smooth sailing.

I am so exhausted today!
    And i keep losing track of what i am doing at work and then surfing the web looking at baby/nursery things :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barremic

I know what you mean kildareash, I am sick of friends saying so will you be getting rid of the dogs. Eh no, they were here first. My oh's mother actually commented very negatively because we let the dogs in to the nursery (they love having a roll on thenew rug). Tbh I would be lost without them, I find they are great for a Santos Colossal Bargain when I'm being kicked silly and feeling down.

They are only small dogs, the male has been protective since I was about 6 weeks and doesn't leave my side, peeking over the bath etc.

I get very frustrated by people's reaction to us having dogs and the baby on the way, most just think, ah get rid of them! Not a chance

We've had a few people say the same, expecting that we'll kick them out of the house.

And loads of people assumed I would be getting rid of my cat! The cat's been around longer than my husband!

To be really honest, I find that people who make comments like that re pets have never really had their own pet and/or have no real respect for animals.

Pets are like family members. One of my cats died about a year ago and it was absolutely awful, I cried and cried!

As long as you are a responsible pet owner and have some common sense, there is absolutely no problem having babies & pets!

Kash wrote: »
    I am so exhausted today!
    And i keep losing track of what i am doing at work and then surfing the web looking at baby/nursery things :o

Oh I know, my eyes keep closing. It's really really slow in work this week so I'm kind of stretching things out, can't keep off my phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barremic

To be really honest, I find that people who make comments like that re pets have never really had their own pet and/or have no real respect for animals.

Pets are like family members. One of my cats died about a year ago and it was absolutely awful, I cried and cried!

As long as you are a responsible pet owner and have some common sense, there is absolutely no problem having babies & pets!

Thanks Mink, its nice to see some people not having a problem with it, I was starting to get paranoid about it.

They are spoiled but we are also very responsible with them. I had one friend say it will help because we have such routine with the dogs, it can only help with the baby.

I also lost a canine beat friend over a year ago, I had him 16 years, I'm still not over it fully.

I do think its very important for children to have lots of exposure to animals, my niece isn't even allowed to have a fish, and she loves it down here with the dogs and I have a pond with fish and frogs. I would have a small zoo if I could.

barremic wrote: »
    I do think its very important for children to have lots of exposure to animals, my niece isn't even allowed to have a fish, and she loves it down here with the dogs and I have a pond with fish and frogs. I would have a small zoo if I could.

I could not agree with you more. Kids should be exposed to as many different things as possible.

We always had dogs and cats around growing up. I couldn't wait to get one myself, hadn't bargained on the second one coming along tho!

When my OH was in hospital it was nice not to have to come home to an empty house, although they were a little neglected the evenings I went straight from work to visit, they never complained.

OH's mam really dislikes them, but on the
    Plus side she doesn't really visit now because of them. She says she is afraid but has made no effort to get over her fear either! No skin off my nose, but if she wants to see her grandchild/babysit at times for us, she may get used to them.

Yeah they are great company. My mother-in-law is a total dog person & she hates cats (as do her sons due to her - though I converted my OH). But when she visited our house and she say my gorgeous little white fluffy cat, she was mesmerised. I think she was used to seeing scruffy tom's.

I know I'm biased but my cat is incredibly pretty, I have no idea how she keeps herself so pure white & fluffy. This photo of her is so funny, she's totally spread-eagled.

After all this talk of dogs it's making me really look forward to getting a pup at some point after baby arrives. I don't think we could bring a full grown dog into the house as the cats would have heart attacks. Though I'd prefer to get a grown up dog from the pound that needs a good home. I'm a big believer in always getting your pets from the pound/shelters.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Yeah they are great company. My mother-in-law is a total dog person & she hates cats (as do her sons due to her - though I converted my OH). But when she visited our house and she say my gorgeous little white fluffy cat, she was mesmerised. I think she was used to seeing scruffy tom's.

I know I'm biased but my cat is incredibly pretty, I have no idea how she keeps herself so pure white & fluffy. This photo of her is so funny, she's totally spread-eagled.

After all this talk of dogs it's making me really look forward to getting a pup at some point after baby arrives. I don't think we could bring a full grown dog into the house as the cats would have heart attacks. Though I'd prefer to get a grown up dog from the pound that needs a good home. I'm a big believer in always getting your pets from the pound/shelters.

We always had dogs at home and it didn't do me or my brother and sister any harm! I have a terrier and my Oh has 3 dogs and no one has mentioned the dogs to us. nor would I worry about them and baby.

The baby will be brought up on the farm(hopefully) where there are cows and horses! I will be working with horses full time as soon as I am able. poor child will smell like a farm.....

• Advertisement

Kash gave some great tips Javagal :) we do all that & also say baby to her around any of the babies stuff & my belly so she makes the association with the word.

I have been prepping her since she was a pup as I have always done with our dogs so she allows anyone to take food from her bowl, accepts body hugs, ear tugs & face mushing, sits for little people to pass or pet her etc etc...she is no angel but she knows all such things are part of life!

Our goldie is a house dog & won't become anything else! Everyone who knows us, knows our dogs are like our children (we never knew we would be allowed get to this point) and we tragically lost two to illness - one at 3.5 & another at 11 months...our vet even sent us a sympathy bunch of flowers for our 11month old as it was all so tragic! Thankfully number 3 is doing great so long may she last in our lives :) but she will remain our furry baby even when our hairless baby arrives :D

Here is a nice story for those who are sick of hearing to kick the dog out of the house.

Our friend was at her parents house & her little one was napping upstairs. Her dog came into the kitchen & was nudging at her hand. She thought he just wanted attention & was telling him to wait, he left the room & came back & nudged her even harder so she decided to go see what he wanted. He darted up the stairs to where her daughter was napping. They use a clip on monitor which beeps if she stops breathing...it was going off! It had just slipped off her nappy & she was fine but their dog knew that everytime it went off they would check on her & so was letting her know that she needed to check on the baby :)

He also lies in front of the fireplace as they used to put cushions along it in case their little girl fell on its hard edge...now if she was to fall the dog has created a barrier all of his own!

The two of them are really close already (she is 18 months) & I hope our little one has a similar bond with our dog :)

Advertisement