Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Mits wrote: »
    I saw one of the van's in batterstown on friday. I think I'll be getting a letter in the post. I have no idea what speed I was doing but I was driving safely in a line of traffic.

The country is ridiculous and the people are constantly getting screwed. I can not believe the people are such sheep to put up with all that is going on.

You should try living over here! We've had them for years. Not only that but red light cameras and bus lane cameras.................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I love this time of year...Autumn..leaves blowing everywhere..i'd not be suprised if a couple blew up and got stuck to my front reg plate......;);)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

ulinbac wrote: »
    Only think they should increase the limits on the motorway if we train a better quality if driver. There are around 250k learners on the road and loads are using the motorway (which they shouldn't). So more cameras are needed on the roads.

The learner drivers are only half the problem. The other half is the clueless morons that have already been given licences, because our driver testing system allows people that can't pass simple school exams onto our roads.
    ART6 wrote: »
    6. Appoint to the RSA a media personality who is revered by the public as a national treasure but who doesn't drive. Let him tell the proles how delinquent they are, because they will accept his word, will tell the Rosary, and pay their fines.

You're kidding right? Gay Byrne doesn't drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gunners89

bryaner wrote: »
    Do these fu!cking things flash, or do you just have to wait on the post to find out you were caught?
    yeah they flash,will b out in few wks time all over the place,

great to see it starting,should all slow down

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    If they are parked illegally, and are private, doesn't this mean that evidence used against you, if it went to court, is inadmissible, as evidence gathered against you was done so in an illegal manner?
    they b parked in proper pull off areas,were u see garda only signs at the min.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Wasnt sure if this deserves a thread to itsself....

The guards have published a list of the roads which are going to be targeted by cameras called "Speed Enforcement Zones".
    http://www.garda.ie/sez/default.aspx

Across the country a lot of the zones seem to be accident black spots on the "old" primary routes now by passed by motorways.
    Of course some stretches are bypassed by tolled motorways, and the old N road remains a useful toll dodge route.
    In both cases the old road is normally re-designated a R road, and automatically getting the lower speed limit for back roads of 80kmh.
    In the past, with masses of traffic, these roads had lots of accidents. So now they are on the list of super-dangerous roads, due to masses of accidents when they were an N road.
    Does it make sense to use old accident statistics from the road's hey-day to bring out the hair dryers now targeted at formerly busy roads?

Either way, toll dodgers are going to get a fierce rough go of it if the private companies are enforcing the 80kmh on all these old stretches of former National Roads (/former very dangerous roads)!
    Well, you've been warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yes private cameras are a commin... Went past two less than a km apart on the m2 ashbourne by pass. I was going 130 with the first...

Yes i know I am guility.... At least i reframed from the 150 MARK

Anyway...Just waiting on the ticket....and points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rod flanders

The fleet of vans will carry radar cameras that can catch as many as six speeding cars travelling in either direction, every second, day or night, regardless of weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

this part

Private company the GoSafe consortium will provide 6,000 hours of filming by the cameras every month, and the system will go live in November. But each zone will have a sign erected to warn motorists they face the prospect of being caught

6000 hours a month is about 200 hours per day.
    Assuming they stay in the same spot for 10hrs, that's twenty spots per day in the whole country covered. It's a lot but certainly doesn't mean the roads will be pickled with them.

• Advertisement

everyone is gonna b off the road in six months

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Not me. They can take all the pictures they want of the front of my bike.

Not me. They can take all the pictures they want of the front of my bike.
    well they will get u goin the other way,they can work on upto 4 lanes at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Wasn't there some high moral announcement when they came out that they weren't to be used as cash cows, and would only be put on black spot known accident areas and high risk areas?

Well, that lasted long. 2 cameras on the 120kph Ballincollig Bypass today in Cork, one facing east, one west on a lovely wide open Dual Carriageway. Fish in a barrel!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭flutered

do you believe in santa and the tooth fairy, all this shower require is revenue, and badly at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

They are still testing them I think, not officially to be in use until mid November.

It was said that a sign will be put up to warn that a speed camera is on the road too and that they will be placed at accident black spots......I have my doubts to be honest.

Revenue generators hiding behind the safety aspect and the fear tactic of demonising speed.

Apologies - I thought the system was up and running currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Kill the Speed, avoid the fines!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

How are these calibrated ?
    Is it a % over the limit you get snapped ?

or is it points for 101 kph, 121 kph etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭embracingLife

Saw one of those vans parked on old Ballinteer road in Dundrum, Dublin this afternoon about 3pm. For those of you unfamiliar with this road,its a small road past a housing estate.

Anyway,as I approached it, I could see flashes of light-(first I thought it was lightning as its a windy/rainy day!) as cars ahead of me drove past this white van, but it was only as I got nearer I realised it was coming from this van.
    Sure enough it was a speed camera van with only the words "Garda" written on back door and black windows on back doors of van. No reflectors at all on van so its only an ordinary looking white van and from the distance no way at all to tell what it is,so looks like these vans are going to catch everyone all the time.

No,I didn't get flashed myself luckily enough as I was going easy.

I couldn't believe it was parked on such a road, suppose the fish shooters in the back were counting their haul!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Anyway,as I approached it, I could see flashes of light-(first I thought it was lightning as its a windy/rainy day!) as cars ahead of me drove past this white van, but it was only as I got nearer I realised it was coming from this van.
    Sure enough it was a speed camera van with only the words "Garda" written on back door and black windows on back doors of van. No reflectors at all on van so its only an ordinary looking white van and from the distance no way at all to tell what it is,so looks like these vans are going to catch everyone all the time.
    A white van parked on the LHS with black windows and its back facing towards traffic, flashing, and with 'Garda' written on the back door? The sneaky so-and-sos.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Anan1 wrote: »
    A white van parked on the LHS with black windows and its back facing towards traffic, flashing, and with 'Garda' written on the back door? The sneaky so-and-sos.;)

and to make it worse they were trying to catch speeders in a residential area on a day when visability was reduced ....... the liberty ..........

its only when you get right beside it do you see the words garda. Is that you Gay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Saw one of those vans parked on old Ballinteer road in Dundrum, Dublin this afternoon about 3pm. For those of you unfamiliar with this road,its a small road past a housing estate.

No,I didn't get flashed myself luckily enough as I was going easy.

I couldn't believe it was parked on such a road, suppose the fish shooters in the back were counting their haul!

two things

1 that road is full of houses and not "shooting fish in a barrell" but sensible, its when they are on motorways or on three lane dual carraigeways built as motorways but set as n roads that the are barrell shooting

2 thats a gards speed trap you saw; the private gatso don't flash and have no markings they are very discrete

Those vans usually have a 3 phase power connector sticking out of where you'd normally have a fuel cap too.
    jock101 wrote: »
    Kill the Speed, avoid the fines!;)

And if you stop having sex, you'll never get AIDS, but where's the fun in that?

one million posts,Gay is this all you do? I suppose you never speed?

I drive that road every day and see people regularly pull out of the side roads from those houses and they put the boot to the floor completely unecessarily,so its not speeders who drive through there that the van was catching.

I couldn't give a fiddlers what type of van it was either garda or gatso,I only making a comment what I saw, so you needn't get pedantic about the description of van and reposting my comment.
    Just remember now why I don't bother posting on here and instead just come on here to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

One of them parked here this morning!
    I'd say its about the 5th time in the last 2 months that there has been some form of speed detection on this stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And if you stop having sex, you'll never get AIDS, but where's the fun in that?

Not having aids versus having a little bit of sex with an infected person is plenty fun for me thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

12 element wrote: »
    One of them parked here this morning!
    I'd say its about the 5th time in the last 2 months that there has been some form of speed detection on this stretch of road.

my sister got knocked down by a speeding taxi there :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Tigger wrote: »
    2 thats a gards speed trap you saw; the private gatso don't flash and have no markings they are very discrete

so their job is not to deter speeding (you know, that crime that leads to death and destruction), but rather to let people continue speeding and hit them with fines and points at a later date

road safety my big hairy arse :rolleyes:

Advertisement