Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best guitar songs to play at a party

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Sktchr wrote: »
    But why should I have to make a new thread when its a post already in relation to this topic? The song I'm looking for is one I want to play at a party. Plus it's a song that I'd recommend to the OP for playing at a party. And what harm if I get a little help in finding the chords for it when I cant find them myself?

Cheers again Orlando. Nice to see there's some decent posters out there without an attitude :D

Anyway, back to the topic I suppose

Chris Daughtry's Acoustic Version on Poker Face is another good one.

Ma and the lads do that! It's a doddle, save for very quick chord changes.

Poker Face

Intro: Em Em C D
    Verse: Em Em C DG (x4)
    "Oh ohoh": Em C Em C / Em Em C DG (x2)
    Chorus: Em C G D (x2)
    "p-p-p-poker": Em Em Em CGAD / Em Em Em C G (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Ross Mc

Sktchr wrote: »
    But why should I have to make a new thread when its a post already in relation to this topic? The song I'm looking for is one I want to play at a party. Plus it's a song that I'd recommend to the OP for playing at a party. And what harm if I get a little help in finding the chords for it when I cant find them myself?

Cheers again Orlando. Nice to see there's some decent posters out there without an attitude :D

Anyway, back to the topic I suppose

Chris Daughtry's Acoustic Version on Poker Face is another good one.

how am i supposed to read minds? you didn't say that so how do i know

I did know that pokerface cover, if no one posts the chords beforehand, i'll have a look later and see if i can remember them

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Ross Mc

Ma and the lads do that! It's a doddle, save for very quick chord changes.

Poker Face

Intro: Em Em C D
    Verse: Em Em C DG (x4)
    "Oh ohoh": Em C Em C / Em Em C DG (x2)
    Chorus: Em C G D (x2)
    "p-p-p-poker": Em Em Em CGAD / Em Em Em C G (x2)

too late :p

think he does with a capo on the 2nd fret also

Ross Mc wrote: »
    too late :p

think he does with a capo on the 2nd fret also

One of the lads put together about sixty 'tabs' of songs. I can't take credit for that, he simplifies them to the nth degree. You should put up your version too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

These songs always get a laugh and people join in the chorus

If You're Gonna Be Dumb - Roger Alan Wade
    A$$hole - Denis Leary
    Cows with guns - Dana Lyons

And if you want to liven up a party;

Cocaine Blues - Johnny Cash

• Advertisement

Dyflin wrote: »
    These songs always get a laugh and people join in the chorus

If You're Gonna Be Dumb - Roger Alan Wade
    A$$hole - Denis Leary
    Cows with guns - Dana Lyons

And if you want to liven up a party;

Cocaine Blues - Johnny Cash

Have never heard that played at a party. brilliant!!

:mental note:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gomaith2010

american pie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Stephen Lynch - the Divorce Song :D

Any stephen lynch really,

any of

Neil Young
    Paul Brady
    Tom Petty
    Oasis
    Verve
    Greenday
    Christy Moore
    etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Pink Floyd - Young lust
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    Swans - Sex, God, Sex
    Corky and the Juice Pigs - Only Gay Eskimo
    At The Gates - Raped by the Light of Christ
    Orgy - Fetisha
    Miranda Sex Garden - Muff Diving Size Queen
    Tori Amos - Professional Widow
    Blink 182 - **** a dog

This seems like the kind of thing young people and their parties are about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Sandvich wrote: »
    Corky and the Juice Pigs - Only Gay Eskimo

Quality Tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

Bob dylan- all along the watchtower; i shall be released (a massive winner)

Neil young- harvest moon; needle and damage done; heart of gold

Bob marley- Jamming; waiting in vain

David bowie- space oddity

The kinks- sunny afternoon; lola, waterloo sunset

John Martyn- Solid air; May you never

The Doors- light my fire; roadhouse blues

these are great songs that everyone loves but most don't know the lyrics to all of the songs. they're not mindless easy sing alongs like wonderwall or david gray:D. After the first verse you'll often be on your own so you better know the lyrics. Easy as piss too all of them, John Martyn aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

land the under or Who could it be now by Men at work Always works a Treat or

Becausei got high by Afroman.... <-- you'd be surprised how many people this song gets going... Bluesy style solo at the end kilsl the crowds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Pdfile wrote: »
    Bluesy style solo at the end kilsl the crowds :)

Yeah, but... then you'd be one of those guys who play guitar solos at parties... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Yeah, but... then you'd be one of those guys who play guitar solos at parties... :rolleyes:

Ahh as long as it's not a big 2 minute self indulgent job you can get away with the odd solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

strobe wrote: »
    Ahh as long as it's not a big 2 minute self indulgent job you can get away with the odd solo.

People at parties want to sing along, not see you show off. If I'm ever playing at a party, I have my fun by messing around with the chord voicings. People who sit down and try to impress with their instrument annoy me no end. I was at a party once where a guy got the host's guitar out and played Canon Rock :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

People at parties want to sing along, not see you show off. If I'm ever playing at a party, I have my fun by messing around with the chord voicings. People who sit down and try to impress with their instrument annoy me no end. I was at a party once where a guy got the host's guitar out and played Canon Rock :rolleyes:

At a party? Facepalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

And you're the guy who probably plays oasis or greenday:rolleyes:

Anyway saturday night at a party i played

D'yer maker - Lep Zep
    Blackbird - Beatles
    Purple Haze - Hendrix
    Most beautiful girl in the room - FOTC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

You Suffer By Napalm Death

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

bazmaiden wrote: »
    And you're the guy who probably plays oasis or greenday:rolleyes:

Don't see what's wrong with that? This is a thread for piss easy songs to play after all. Or are they too commercial for you? Overplayed? Genuinely interested.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I insert Damien Rice - The Professor into a session.

Played it after a wedding recently and it went down really well.
    It's a little rude and only realised the parents of the bride were sitting beside me after, they took it in good spirits though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Don't see what's wrong with that? This is a thread for piss easy songs to play after all.

Don't see where that was mentioned in the op, or where you got that from?
    I thought it was just a thread where we could suggest songs that could be possibly played at a party...

Anyway if you think the songs I played were difficult you need to get practicing bro ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

My bad, I've confused this with another thread!:(

Is purple haze is easy to play?
    **goes off to look up tabs**

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

I'm with Bootsy on this one, but not because I **** to an LCD soundsystem (or whatever the **** you said). Personally I can't stand the type of people who learn guitar to impress drunks at parties. You learn guitar because it's a diverse and self-rewarding on it's own. Most people would actually be more impressed to see someone play something they've never heard before really well. People would actually put down their drink and stop talking to hear that. Otherwise people are just gonna blab over you and give half-hearted applause afterwards for hearing some narcissist playing "wonderwall" the fifty millionth time an F-ing party. So on the heels of that learn these if you really wanna impress people at parties:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YE-GPXYeTA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Dy37bBIW4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I'm with Bootsy too. Can't stand it that for some reason when someone takes out a guitar at a party they always go for the same handful of really cheesy songs. Instantly ruins the atmosphere. Wonderwall, Don't look back in anger, Save Tonight, Hallelujah, Good Riddance etc.

Instead of playing these, play songs that you actually like, and that other people actually like, instead of the playlist of a bad wedding DJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Guitars shouldn't be allowed out at parties. It's a serious buzzkill when you get a few muppets trying to outdo each other in a guitar-off.

Ban guitars at parties, imo.

nummnutts wrote: »
    Guitars shouldn't be allowed out at parties. It's a serious buzzkill when you get a few muppets trying to outdo each other in a guitar-off.

Ban guitars at parties, imo.

Or at least lock them away until 4am.

I'm with Bootsy on this one, but not because I **** to an LCD soundsystem (or whatever the **** you said). Personally I can't stand the type of people who learn guitar to impress drunks at parties. You learn guitar because it's a diverse and self-rewarding on it's own. Most people would actually be more impressed to see someone play something they've never heard before really well. People would actually put down their drink and stop talking to hear that. Otherwise people are just gonna blab over you and give half-hearted applause afterwards for hearing some narcissist playing "wonderwall" the fifty millionth time an F-ing party. So on the heels of that learn these if you really wanna impress people at parties:

Completely missing the point. Nobody (apart from possibly other guitarists) at a party wants to stop, sit down and listen to someone play some obscure song technically well.
    Most people would actually be more impressed to see someone play something they've never heard before really well.

It is not about trying to impress people. It's about getting people involved and having a laugh.......you know? fun? So you play the classic fun songs that everyone loves singing badly after a few drinks. There is nothing in the world worse than someone at a party taking out a guitar with the goal of getting people to "put down their drink and stop talking to hear". Uggghhhh.

Your idea of a party makes me sad and bored just thinking about it.

strobe wrote: »
    There is nothing in the world worse than someone at a party taking out a guitar with the goal of getting people to "put down their drink and stop talking to hear". Uggghhhh.

Yes there is, someone taking out a guitar to play Wonderwall and Good Riddance.

Yes there is, someone taking out a guitar to play Wonderwall and Good Riddance.

You don't have to play wonderwall and good riddance, but you absolutely don't have to play some song nobody ever heard of to try and impress people. There are hundreds of other songs you can play that will get people enjoying themselves and singing along. But if you are at a party, it's a fukking party for gods sake, the last thing you should aim to do is get people to put down thier drinks and go quiet so they can suspend the fun to hear you play some random self indulgent song ("like guys, you wouldn't have heard of this, but like, it really means something to me"). If you took a **** in the middle of the room you couldnt kill a good atmosphere quicker. Time and a place and all that.

How old are you by the way? Maybe we are just talking about different kinds of parties.

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YE-GPXYeTA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Dy37bBIW4

Who would want to sit and listen to either of those peices at a party, unless the theme was the most boring party in the world?

I don't think you fully grasp the meaning of the word narcissist when you post the two pieces you would play at a party! Jaysus!

People want to drunkingly sing to easy, anthemic songs with easy lyrics. No one wants to be subjected to seven minutes of some randomer showing off how good he is on a guitar. I could guarantee you that you an I were at a party and you played that and I played Lady Gaga Poker face I'd be the one to grab the crowds attention. That is a fact. People don't go to parties to have obtuse musical pieces foisted on them.

You are the musical equivilent of the guy with the slide projector show of his holidays.

Learn Don't Stop Belivin' and less of your snobbery, like a good lad.

Advertisement