Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I saw an L driver on the M50 today

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tauren wrote:
    If it is considered safe enough for an L Driver to be on a DC, I don't get why a motorway is a big 'no-no'.

Motorways have a higher speed limit than most dual carriageways, and the whole point of a motorway is to remove as many hazards as possible for motorway users. This means no crappy junctions for cars to pull out without warning, no right-turns, full grade separation etc.. It also means no road users that could pose a hazard to vehicles travelling at 120km/hr. This includes pedestrians, cyclists, animals, tractors and L-drivers. An L-car trundling along at 25km/hr on a motorway would pose a hazard when the bulk of the traffic is doing 80-120km/hr. It's not about the learner's safety, it's about everyone else's safety.

Anyway, what's the point in allowing a learner on a motorway? They're supposed to be on the road for learning, not for commuting and the point of a motorway is to facilitate long distance travel in a quick and easy manner. They'll learn a lot more on the "unsafe" roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

If motorways are so easy to drive on, how come I see so many people on them who can't drive properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

blastman wrote: »
    If motorways are so easy to drive on, how come I see so many people on them who can't drive properly?

Because the majority of drivers, that is people, ie humans (in the main) are, statistically gobshites. Scientific fact, look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

cjt156 wrote: »
    even though these roads are statistically the safest in the country.

Because there are no learners on them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

By passing the test you automatically knew how to go on the motorway properly?

No, but I was qualified then. Learners are not experienced, or tested in any way, at least the other drivers are (for the most part). Motorways do not allow learner drivers for several good reasons already outlined by several posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

So once they've passed their test they don't need to worry about consideration for other road users, lane discipline or distancing from other cars. The reason motorways seem the safest roads in the country is the fact that they're very easy to use. All on and off ramps, no junctions, right hand turns, traffic lights etc. Just one direction of road. Nothing to do with there not being as many learners on them as other roads. My only crash was on a motorway with 4 other cars involved, and by my estimation anyway, all had full licences for some time. I dare say someone who just passed their test or even was a learner might have left the proper distance in front of them and not ploughed into my boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,009 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

blastman wrote: »

Question, do you see more people that can't drive properly on a motorway or a DC? personally, i think it is about the same. Personally, I think there is very little difference in driving on a Motorway and driving on a DC - given the choice of routes, i would go the motorway every time, because it is an easier drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,965 ✭✭✭✭event

wow, call teh guards so

i drove on it many of times when i had me L plates up, so call them on me too

i suppose the OP, when s/he was learning, never drove unaccompanied?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,009 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Stark wrote: »
    Motorways have a higher speed limit than most dual carriageways, and the whole point of a motorway is to remove as many hazards as possible for motorway users. This means no crappy junctions for cars to pull out without warning, no right-turns, full grade separation etc.. It also means no road users that could pose a hazard to vehicles travelling at 120km/hr. This includes pedestrians, cyclists, animals, tractors and L-drivers. An L-car trundling along at 25km/hr on a motorway would pose a hazard when the bulk of the traffic is doing 80-120km/hr. It's not about the learner's safety, it's about everyone else's safety.

Anyway, what's the point in allowing a learner on a motorway? They're supposed to be on the road for learning, not for commuting and the point of a motorway is to facilitate long distance travel in a quick and easy manner. They'll learn a lot more on the "unsafe" roads.

I suppose i base my opinion on the assumption that any L-Driver on the motorway would be capable and willing to drive at atleast 80kmh, which is reasonable enough in the driving lane. My assumption may be incorrect and therefor invalidate my opinion.

However, although i have seen loads of L-Drivers on the motorway (and to be honest, I was one of them for about 4 months) the dangerous drivers are invariably older people without L-Plates (such as the idiot who pulled out in front of me at 80 yesterday, forcing me to slam on the brakes; or the idiot who didn't pay attention to the lane changes at the roadworks by Dundrum and almost drove into the side of me).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

maoleary wrote: »
    You are not licensed to drive on the M50, it should be treated as such. some Gardai will issue a summons for it, but judges are quite lax. Some though, are very harsh and put them off the road for 6 months to a year or two. It's a mug's game. L plate drivers should not be let on the M50, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth to the rest of us who actually passed the test so we could drive on these roads properly.
    OK for learners to use other motorways then, just not the M50? :confused:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah come on, you know that's not what he meant.

He's just citing the M50 as being the main commuter motorway of the country, it's the most likely to have a high proportion of learners using it daily.

Advertisement