Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in New York City

• 15-10-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I'm going to NYC next month. We're mostly going for a bit of a shopping trip, but we also want to do some cool stuff.
    I've been before, and I saw the Lion King on Broadway, it was amazing, so we'd be interested in more cool stuff like that.
    Anyone have any suggestions of what to do? (Especially in Times Square and the surrounding area).
    Also, we're staying in the New Yorker Hotel, their Tick Tock Diner is lovely, but we'd like to try other restaurants too, any suggestions on that front?

Thanks in advance guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Jaysus I don't know, you could be stuck, New York's not exactly Portlaoise when it comes to fun things to do.

I jest of course, but you could write several books (and indeed many have) on things to do in New York City.

I found the Bronx Zoo to be a good day if you have a full one to burn, or you could get tickets to be in the audience for Dave Letterman, you need to be down at NBC Studios about 7.30 am to secure these, although they are free. Shoppingwise you probably already know about Woodbury Common.

It all depends on your interests really, some people would love a day in Greenwich Village or hipsterfied regenerated Brooklyn, others would prefer the old standards like the Statue of Liberty and Emire State Building.

Given the time of year you're going skating at the Rockefeller centre or in Central Park is a big one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

Glengarry Glen Ross http://glengarrybroadway.com/ Would be high up on my list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

The museum of natural history was one of the best things I did while in new york and you can get the subway right underneath it, the heartland brewery is a savage place to eat. The comedy clubs can be hit and miss but if you get a few good acts you'll remember it! I found the statue of liberty to be very underwhelming but it was cool to see it, ellis island was good to visit but I found the whole place very sad with the stories and pictures but was definitely worth seeing. SOHO is cool aswell way more relaxed than time square, ground zero was cool too although I was there last summer so the monument was unveiled or anything! The metropolitan museum is supposed to be very good as well but I didnt see it. Coney island beach is about an hour away and its a bit of a ****hole to be honest but its cool to see it in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭furiousox

Walk the Brooklyn bridge.
    We did it on our last morning in NYC but I've heard it's best to walk it in the evening, have a meal in a restaurant on the other side and watch night fall on Manhattan, then get a cab back across.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Brooklyn Bridge: Deffo - want a clear head!

Staten Island Ferry - great way to see Statue of Lib and the Manhatten Skyline for about 50c!

Carnegie Deli - I simply couldn't begin to tell you about the food and it being steeped in History.
    http://www.carnegiedeli.com/home.php

Posh Steak: Smith and Wollensky
    www.smithandwollensky.com/

.......... I could go on..........!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I was there a few years ago. I'm not usually a city person, but I loved this place.

I bought a City Pass (http://www.newyorkpass.com) which got me into numerous museums, tours and suchlike. I definitely recouped my investment in three days.

Things to do:
    1. Hail a yellow taxi and go for a ride (cheesy but must be on any list).
    2. Watch the evening rush through Grand Central Station.
    3. Do top of the Rock for view (you can get outside here unlike the overrated Empire State Building).
    4. Eat breakfast in a diner.
    5. See a show on broadway.
    6. Spend an afternoon wandering through Central Park.
    7. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge.
    8. Get your photo taken grabbing the bull in the financial district by the balls! :D
    9. Take the hop on hop off bus tour around the city (You can get it on the NY Pass).
    10. Eat from a hot dog stand.
    11. Visit Ground Zero (I thought it was a bit meh TBH) but people like it.
    12. Ice state in Central Park or Rockefeller Centre.
    13. Ride the subway.
    14. Spend a day walking around the museums and exhibitions.

I done a boat trip around Manhattan and it was too long. It was fine on the way out, but it was so slow that on the way back I was totally bored. Maybe a trip to Staten Island would have been a better choice.

Loved the place. So much to see and do. I really do recommend the pass - it will give you many ideas for things to see and do.

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I know this is from October, but for other peeps who are going in the future: Go to Grimaldis, it is the nicest pizza you will ever try, even think about it makes me want to salivate. Only thing is that you will never truly appreciate pizza again and always compare it to them. Kill two birds with one stone, walk the Brookyln Bridge to Brookyln, and it's underneath it. It's worth every cent, trust me. ( or Zagat and countless others).

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭pedatron

Hi everyone. Heading to New York in a few weeks for a second time and am wondering what I should do. I was there about 8 years ago and have no problem doing all the tourist usuals again as I'm with friends.

Was gonna try and get some tickets for shows, matches in NBA and that sort of thing.

Just wondering do people have advice on what more recent things I could be doing now? Things that wouldn't have been there before. I was also under 18 when I was there first so am looking to sample the nightlife too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

pedatron wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Heading to New York in a few weeks for a second time and am wondering what I should do. I was there about 8 years ago and have no problem doing all the tourist usuals again as I'm with friends.

Was gonna try and get some tickets for shows, matches in NBA and that sort of thing.

Just wondering do people have advice on what more recent things I could be doing now? Things that wouldn't have been there before. I was also under 18 when I was there first so am looking to sample the nightlife too! :D

Walk the Highline. Only completed in 2014 and wasn't even started last time you were there

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_(New_York_City)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭iamyourending

Hey Pedatron. I've spent a lot of time in NYC since I started this thread a few years ago and I still have a list of things to do/see every time I go back! As the guys above said, the list is literally endless, depending on your interests.

I still do some of the touristy stuff each time I visit, things like the view from the Empire State never really get old - I'd recommend that you go there at night, maybe 10pm, as there's fewer queues and the views are amazing with the lights!

Then you've got all the other stuff - Times Square, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, etc. We went to The View Bar/Restaurant in the Marriott Hotel in Times Square last time we visited - it's pretty expensive, maybe just go there for drinks, but it's a revolving rooftop restaurant so the views are unreal.

The 9/11 Memorial Site will have changed hugely since you last visited, so that's well worth a visit, along with the museum. Also, we visited the High Line last year. Google it - it's a really cool park built on an old railway track in Manhattan. Very central and really different to the usual stuff.

As for games, we always find it tough to get tickets as we leave it too late! I'd say check the Madison Square Garden site along with Ticketmaster - we saw the NY Knicks play once and it was really cool, definitely something I'd recommend even though tickets can be expensive.

I don't know the nightlife massively well as I only turned 21 before my last visit, but I can definitely tell you what I know or give you any more details if you want to PM me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭pedatron

Hey Pedatron. I've spent a lot of time in NYC since I started this thread a few years ago and I still have a list of things to do/see every time I go back! As the guys above said, the list is literally endless, depending on your interests.

I still do some of the touristy stuff each time I visit, things like the view from the Empire State never really get old - I'd recommend that you go there at night, maybe 10pm, as there's fewer queues and the views are amazing with the lights!

Then you've got all the other stuff - Times Square, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, etc. We went to The View Bar/Restaurant in the Marriott Hotel in Times Square last time we visited - it's pretty expensive, maybe just go there for drinks, but it's a revolving rooftop restaurant so the views are unreal.

The 9/11 Memorial Site will have changed hugely since you last visited, so that's well worth a visit, along with the museum. Also, we visited the High Line last year. Google it - it's a really cool park built on an old railway track in Manhattan. Very central and really different to the usual stuff.

As for games, we always find it tough to get tickets as we leave it too late! I'd say check the Madison Square Garden site along with Ticketmaster - we saw the NY Knicks play once and it was really cool, definitely something I'd recommend even though tickets can be expensive.

I don't know the nightlife massively well as I only turned 21 before my last visit, but I can definitely tell you what I know or give you any more details if you want to PM me :)

That's brilliant thanks! Still have a few sights to see and the Marriott Bar sounds class! I've looked at games too. Brooklyn Nets looks more reasonable than the Knicks alright! Park looks deadly too. Thanks a million for the tips! Can't wait now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Also go drinking in McSorley's. My favourite bar in Manhattan. Only serve 2 types of ale: light and dark. And you get 2 glasses with every order. Order 2 beers you get 4 etc. Sawdust on the floor and order some crackers with cheddar and raw onion. It's like DIY tayto.

And if you like baseball Foley's is good fun. Gets a good crowd for Mets and Yankees games and their memorabilia is terrific! They must have about 25 or 30 balls from no hitters both recent and going back decades

I realise I'm recommending Irish bars, however there's good cultural significance to these that you don't get from a tacky irish bar in other cities

Also go see a Mets game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Do everything mentioned. But please do take the FREE Staten Island Ferry.

Sit on RHS going over, great views of Statue of Liberty.

When I was there in November, there was an outrider from Law Enforcement with Kalashnikovs on a RIB surrounding the ferry all the way across and back. It was amazing (note I did not say Awesome lol).

Then when off the Ferrry back, it is walkable to Wall Street, and Ground Zero.

Subway back to Manhatten close by, and there were greeters explaining the way to go.

Love that fekkin city.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭iamyourending

No problem Pedatron, glad I could help. The Marriott Bar is pretty cool, especially if it's a clear night - great views of the city!

I agree with 8-10 about the Irish bars, there's a real history to most of them along with good craic too. I'd definitely try a few bigger bars and maybe a club too though, but check them out on Google first - some places in areas like the Meatpacking District are always seriously busy so you'd be better off staying away from them unless you fancy the crowds, you might be better off finding someplace nearer to where you're staying.

Most of all, have an unreal time! NYC is my favourite city...there's no place quite like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭furiousox

This thread is bringing back some memories of our last trip to NY.
    Here's a summary of our trip from back then that I posted in 2010.
    Planning on going back in 2018 (and bringing the kids for the first time)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69330407&postcount=501

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Morrison J

For any sports tickets use Stubhub or Seatgeek. Secondary market tickets but 100% legit and you can get pretty good deals on it sometimes especially if going to see the Brooklyn Nets as they aren't very good this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

8-10 wrote: »
    Also go see a Mets game.

For a real slice of America you cant beat Baseball. And they play so many games (5-6 a week) that its not difficult to get tickets as long as they're at home. And its very relaxed and easy for spectators.
    Although the Mets did pretty well last season so attendance may be up.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭septictank

Hi pedatron, I,m there over St Patrick's and after.

It's our third visit in 3 years and can't wait, we're staying near Time square and friends are coming this time so we have an excuse to do all the sights again.

I've booked a car to meet us at JFK, nice way to start off the holiday, I'll get him to take in 1 or 2 sights on the way in for the friends, it's $55 + tolls + tip in a cab so $70 per cab, or I have a limo booked for 5 for $120.

Groupon nyc can be helpful for a few deals, I'v a bus booked for a trip to Woodbury common saving $15 per person, and a restaurant 50% off.

Has anyone been there for Paddies day and if so how did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

septictank wrote: »
    Has anyone been there for Paddies day and if so how did it go?

Here's a guide to what's going on this year - http://www.timeout.com/newyork/things-to-do/st-patricks-day-parade-and-events-in-new-york-city?package_page=35809

I've been there and enjoyed it, although I only went when the weather was nice. At this time of the year it could be beautiful out, or it could be snowing. Not that snow is a bad thing, but be prepared :)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭septictank

Hay pedatron

Have you gone over to NYC yet, any reports?

I'm off on Wednesday, can't wait.

I'm there for Paddy's day and booked into top steak house for the day that's in it.

have fun.
    s

• Advertisement
Advertisement