Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any body got any news on steam for linux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

Valve are working the Nvidia and AMD on making the drivers better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    Valve are working the Nvidia and AMD on making the drivers better

But probably only for newer cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

matrim wrote: »
    But probably only for newer cards.
    well i would presume that there starting at the newest/most popular cards
    cant expect them to start on one that nobody uses first

Twas just thinking of how much valve are putting into this linux development. There creating this linux team and bringing the top developers from intel amd and ndvidia to consult on.(That got to cost a few bob)

Gabe has all the money!

slide show for people from siggraph

Edit : i thought i posted a link , oh well
    ill do it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

Khannie wrote: »
    Minimum specs for it are very low. P4 3GHz. 1G of RAM. Even my 4 year old box should be well able for it.

We should all celebrate with some unix forum online mayhem when it comes out. :)

Ahh well should be alright then. Mine's a Vaio Laptop with 6 gig ram, 2.53 dual core and a ati hd 4565 (?) graphics card.

I just haven't played games on it for over a year, other than old nes emulators.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Gabe has all the money!

I wonder if he has enough to compete with whatever store microsoft are going to have on windows 8 though. I'd hate to see valve get shafted. They've been an innovative company since day one.

Our long awaited beta is coming soon
    "we will have betas for Steam for Linux and Steam Big Play fairly soon."

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE2MTk

the video mentioned in post by phoronix
    http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/ncis3o/gt-tv-valve

Update:

Guys. Make sure you email the linuxteam to ensure you are part of the beta. I think it is a closed beta firstly

valvelinuxteam@valvesoftware.com

• Advertisement

Update:

Guys. Make sure you email the linuxteam to ensure you are part of the beta. I think it is a closed beta firstly

are you just randomly suggesting this or did u read something telling you to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Linux is about free open software. Why encourage the opposite?

Jesus Christ , nor another troll
    Go complain to ubuntu software centre and complain there

bpb101 wrote: »
    are you just randomly suggesting this or did u read something telling you to do it?

I read the first post in the valve linux blog. Its right there. Cant believe I missed it the first time. D'oh

If that is your understanding then Android OS should never exist.

Why get so mad? Its the truth as told by Stallman himself.

Why get so mad? Its the truth as told by Stallman himself.

As above. Stallman didnt invent Linux. The Free Software Foundation and Linus do not see eye to eye. Open Source and close Source are like Day and Night. Both are needed to keep balance. Stallman is idealist which is good to a degree but not viable in todays society.

If you really believe you are right then stop using linux. Stallman did have a GNU OS somewhere. Use that.

As above. Stallman didnt invent Linux. The Free Software Foundation and Linus do not see eye to eye. Open Source and close Source are like Day and Night. Both are needed to keep balance. Stallman is idealist which is good to a degree but not viable in todays society.

If you really believe you are right then stop using linux. Stallman did have a GNU OS somewhere. Use that.

The development of Linux is one of the most prominent examples of free and open source software collaboration: the underlying source code may be used, modified, and distributed—commercially or non-commercially—by anyone under licenses such as the GNU General Public License

GNU. Stallman.

I read the first post in the valve linux blog. Its right there. Cant believe I missed it the first time. D'oh

all i see about email is this
    "we’d love to hear your opinions about the blog so shoot us an email."

IS this what ur talking about .
    I might have missed it too, but thats all i saw

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭timbyr

The development of Linux is one of the most prominent examples of free and open source software collaboration: the underlying source code may be used, modified, and distributed—commercially or non-commercially—by anyone under licenses such as the GNU General Public License

GNU. Stallman.

What is your point here.

Linus Torvalds doesn't subscribe to the same notions of "free software" that Stallman does. You can't just attribute Linux to GNU and Stallman.

Linus rejection of the GPLv3 is good example here, as he is pretty accepting of proprietary software being used with the Linux kernel rather than restrict users of the software.

I agree more with Linus' interpretation of free software far more than Stallman's.

• Advertisement

all i see about email is this
    "we’d love to hear your opinions about the blog so shoot us an email."

IS this what ur talking about .
    I might have missed it too, but thats all i saw

Yeah thats it. I came across people talking about it on r/linuxgaming over on reddit so i thought i would let folk know here. I emailed them and got a reply that Ive been added to the list.

for me, i aggree with open soucrce , but at the end of the day . for a company like valve , they have to assure that at the end of the month they can pay there staff and there staff can feed there family.

thats it , its okay for a project on the side like tux racer to be open source
    but titles that take hundreds of people working full time day and night for years , how else can they make money , Give people lessons on how to play ? ????

places like valve make it as open as they can by giving mod tools aways , but they need to get paid...

the reason why something like the steam client is not open sourced is to be controlled as 1 client ,and everybody playing the same version and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

Cant they just work games on the cloud so it donna matter what platform os you use?

Melanoma wrote: »
    Cant they just work games on the cloud so it donna matter what platform os you use?
    but your computer still needs to be told how to decacate what amount of processor and what not

going to be honest, haven't got a bog on cloud computing

Yeah thats it. I came across people talking about it on r/linuxgaming over on reddit so i thought i would let folk know here. I emailed them and got a reply that Ive been added to the list.

sent an email there , just saying great to hear that your supporting linux blah blah blah
    any chance of getting on this beta yoke

of course much nicer said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Update:

Is it just Steam beta? What games will be with it, I'm not sure what the Big Play is?

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Is it just Steam beta? What games will be with it, I'm not sure what the Big Play is?

Beta soon. The first game available will be left4dead2

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

And? Does not matter if Windows 8 is great or not. Steam on Linux is why we are here in this topic.

Do you assume we all use Windows?..true to a high degree but this is about linux and the next big step in its evolution.. Steam being one of the biggest outlets for gaming these days.

• Advertisement

sent an email there , just saying great to hear that your supporting linux blah blah blah
    any chance of getting on this beta yoke

of course much nicer said

Quoting myself , thats weird , however

never got a replay from them, i feal sad now :(

Advertisement