Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Website

• 23-03-2015 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

How's it going guys/gals. So I've recently set up a site using the Blogger route, preferred it Wordpress but that's a different debate.
    I'm just wondering if anybody has any experince or help in getting maybe template customization with blogger. My website is based around mens outfits. (dont want to give a link because I'm not sure if that's a done thing around here!)

Basically, anybody know where I could get a template similar to that of Uncrate.com

Also anybody know how to gain readers, followers with blogger?

Sorry I'm a bit all over the place, didn't plan this out before I wrote it so apologies!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You will find the choice of templates almost non-existent compared to WordPress, I think they're kept on the same aisle as the Betamax video recorders :D

There's a few here:

http://themeforest.net/category/blogging/blogger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Graham wrote: »
    You will find the choice of templates almost non-existent compared to WordPress, I think they're kept on the same aisle as the Betamax video recorders :D

There's a few here:

http://themeforest.net/category/blogging/blogger

You know, I was beginning to wonder was it just me looking for the wrong thing! Pity I haven't a Scooby about coding and all that :rolleyes:

Much appreciated for the link!

There's no requirement to code with WordPress, it also has thousands more templates, millions more help articles and a world of tech-support if/when you need it.

Even looking through the Blogger templates on themeforest, most of them have only sold a couple of copies. Avoid buying them as it's unlikely they will ever be updated.

There's no requirement to code with WordPress, it also has thousands more templates, millions more help articles and a world of tech-support if/when you need it.

Even looking through the Blogger templates on themeforest, most of them have only sold a couple of copies. Avoid buying them as it's unlikely they will ever be updated.

Doesn't work with Adsense though does it? Or does it and I'm an idiot?

Edit: I referred to the coding with regard to Blogger not Wordpress just to clear that up!

9bred4 wrote: »
    Doesn't work with Adsense though does it?

It does, literally millions of sites out there using WordPress with Adsense. Lots of themes even come with the slots ready for you to drop your adsense code into.

To clarify, I'm talking about the self-hosted WordPress.org not the WordPress.com version which is severely restricted.

• Advertisement

It does, literally millions of sites out there using WordPress with Adsense. Lots of themes even come with the slots ready for you to drop your adsense code into.

:o

And how does one do this?

Start by finding a webhost with a 1-click WordPress install.
    1. Buy your domain name (or point your existing domain to your new web host)
    2. Do the 1-click install
    3. Find a theme (ideally one that's designed to work with Adsense).
    4. Install the theme.
    5. Plug in your adsense code.
    6. Add your content pages to your site.
    7. Pick your yacht and private jet while the ad revenue roles in.

Item 7 may not happen

Start by finding a webhost with a 1-click WordPress install.
    1. Buy your domain name (or point your existing domain to your new web host)
    2. Do the 1-click install
    3. Find a theme (ideally one that's designed to work with Adsense).
    4. Install the theme.
    5. Plug in your adsense code.
    6. Add your content pages to your site.
    7. Pick your yacht and private jet while the ad revenue roles in.

Item 7 may not happen

Wow, I have a few sites with Wordpress already and never realised this. I will be busy tonight! Thanks a lot :)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I still can't get Adsense on my wordpress?

If your theme doesn't already have Adsense support, the easiest way might be to find an Adsense plugin for WordPress.

• Advertisement

If your theme doesn't already have Adsense support, the easiest way might be to find an Adsense plugin for WordPress.

Oh sorry I didn't realise a plugin was needed if not already there. I'm on a roll today ha thanks

9bred4 wrote: »
    Oh sorry I didn't realise a plugin was needed if not already there. I'm on a roll today ha thanks

It's not necessarily needed but it might make life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

WordPress generally strips out any thing that is not text or HTML

But if you use the HTML Javascript adder rather than plain text widgets you can put your adsense code in them.
    So provided your themes has widgets where you want your sdsense ads to go, that is all you need to do.

Anybody got any recommendations for a theme similar to uncrate.com?

http://themeforest.net/item/dream-business-blog-portfolio-theme/10417460

Liking this

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

Here's a link to 23 minimalist Wordpress themes similar to that one

http://evowpthemes.net/10-wordpress-minimalist-themes/

When I try upload a theme im getting this error

"The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet"

Contacted the theme provider. Anybody have any experience with this

The theme is probably in another zip file inside the zip file you're trying to upload.

Try unzipping the zip you downloaded.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mod Edit: Not a business and entrepreneur related thread - moving to relevant forum.

Advertisement