Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Knowledge of" vs "proficiency in" certain technology when doing CV

Options
  • 24-03-2015 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭

I'm working on my CV at the moment and curious to know if, when listing skills, you separate them by proficiency or just lump them all together?

For example I have a KEY SKILLS section where I currently list out all the technology I'm familiar with.

I am self-taught in some technologies but haven't yet had the chance to develop a project with them yet. In other words I could understand such a project if I saw one but not experienced enough to do one from scratch.

My idea is to break down the KEY SKILLS section into two parts: "Proficiency in" (for everything I can work on straight away) and "Knowledge of" (to denote technologies I'm familiar with but would need a few days, perhaps weeks, first-hand experience to really get up to speed)

Is this how others do it? I'd prefer not for the potential interviewer to assume I'm fluent in the latter technology only for them to interview me for a role that is based purely on it. I'd prefer them to know I'm familiar with the technology should the need arise down the line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Somewhat similar to what I do. I would have a 'Currently Using' list and a 'Previously Used' list. I prefer this over the 'Proficient' and 'Knowledge Of' lists because most of the time proficiency is dependant on how long it has been since I used the technology. If I wasn't proficient in a technology and no longer use it I won't put it down unless it is very relevant to the job I'm applying for.

I'm not saying my approach is better; it's just what I ended up doing after considering the different approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Interesting, might look at that, cheers

Advertisement