Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this aggression "normal"? MOD WARNING: read post #219

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

We need these:

3-feet-300x154.sized.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

ror_74 wrote: »
    We need these:

3-feet-300x154.sized.jpg

Please, it needs to be metric to be Euro :pac:
    PPA_safecycling2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

cython wrote: »

Spot on, can't believe I missed that. For shame :o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Pawn wrote: »
    ...therefore causing more risk and inconvenience. Wise indeed.

Cars shouldn't overtake at all unless the right-hand carriageway / lane is fully free to move into when overtaking. In that case, cycling two abreast is no problem. The only reason to ride single file as far as I can see is to make room for them to squeeze past against oncoming traffic. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

fixie fox wrote: »
    Cars shouldn't overtake at all unless the right-hand carriageway / lane is fully free to move into when overtaking. In that case, cycling two abreast is no problem. The only reason to ride single file as far as I can see is to make room for them to squeeze past against oncoming traffic. No?

Dude, it is a motorist's right to overtake cyclists as and when they choose. Cyclists' rights have nothing to do with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Kashkai wrote: »
    When did this car v cyclist thing kick off? or so when I'm Cycling is "normal" behaviour, or should I just cycle elsewhere :o

Currently there is a major drive to get motorists to cycle, they except a 60% reduction in motor traffic within inner cities.

To facilitate that, massive disruption has taken place and one will find threads on Did Cyclists ruin, Cork/Dublin/Limerick/Galway? and so on.

If you have another road to use, give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Anyone who is unable to safely overtake a car sized space on the road should go to their local Garda station and hand in their driver's license.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

PPA_safecycling2.jpg

Maths fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Cars take up too much space on the road anyway. "OUT OF MY WAY SKINNY CYCLISTS ON YOUR SKINNY BIKES AND SKINNY TYRES! I HAVE NO ONE IN MY PASSENGER SEAT OR THE REAR SEATS SO I DEMAND THAT YOU MOVE OVER SO THAT I CAN FERRY ALL THIS EXTRA SPACE AROUND ABOUT 20 SECONDS FASTER THAN I MIGHT HAVE WERE YOU NOT IN MY WAY".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Raam wrote: »
    Dude, it is a motorist's right to overtake cyclists as and when they choose.

Not when they choose, but when it's safe to do so.

Cyclists' rights have nothing to do with it

Of course cyclists have rights, the right to be safe on the road while cycling.

mamax wrote: »

Cyclists have the right to get the hell out of the way of important Sunday drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

In my opinion the number of posts about cyclists behavior is not proportionate to what happens out on the roads...

Though have a look at this current thread.. we have a guy trying to say cycling is worse for the environment than motoring! :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057250274

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Please turn your sarcasm filter off and then back on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Maths fail.

Never claimed it was a direct equivalent in distance ;)

Besides, 1.5m is the recommended space to leave in overtaking cyclists around these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    I like the cyclist who ride 2 abreast but when a car comes go to single file to let car through and then go back to 2 abreast.,wish all would do this.

Ya , two abreast is akin to long ago when farmers tractor stopped in the middle of the road to have a little chat for ten minutes.
    Just move in single, let car pass , resume chat. Too much anger created by insisting on staying two abreast

Two abreast is a limit not a target.

Armelodie wrote: »
    Ya , two abreast is akin to long ago when farmers tractor stopped in the middle of the road to have a little chat for ten minutes.
    Just move in single, let car pass , resume chat. Too much anger created by insisting on staying two abreast

Yep, it's the exact same. Sure you can't make any progress at all when sitting behind a pair of cyclists doing 25-30kph. In fact, you are actually going backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

If two cyclists are cycling side by side, it's not just for a chat. There are real benefits to it.

I normally cycle sole, but I've sometimes paired up by accident. We'd take turns at the front and sometimes end up side by side. Can't recall ever speaking a word, expect maybe "Safe home" or something similar when our paths diverge.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Haha, come on, that's not really true. Two abreast when there's a solid white line for example. Makes sure nobody feels pressurised or tempted to overtake when it's not safe to do so. It's not some rule linked to allowing cyclists have a chat back in the good auld days.

Two a-breasts is a target I aim at getting all the time.

• Advertisement

He may have had his tongue in his cheek when posting his views!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

There's no need. Isn't the other side of the road, y'know - the one you're supposed to use to overtake, completely clear? Isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

ozzy jr wrote: »
    The worst offenders are D and C registered cars. I'm not sure what this tells me. Maybe people that drive in cities all the time, going from one red light to another are just highly stressed people

I don't know ozzy... I cycle and drive in Dublin and drive all over the country. There are nine million bicycles in the city :) and I'm finding Dub drivers getting pretty tolerant and careful when it comes to cyclists. I'd frequently cruise along as part of a convoy of cars behind cyclists with nobody overtaking (even though they could risk a squeeze!), my folks, siblings and relatives are very observant, always checking the left wing mirror before turning, cruising behind for a few hundred metres before turning left instead of overtaking a cyclist and turning left... When I drive in the West and North West I find people very impatient when it comes to cyclists. Seen some pretty nasty buzz's.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'd frequently cruise along as part of a convoy of cars behind cyclists with nobody overtaking

A convoy of cars preventing other road users from overtaking! Pitchforks!

If cars drove on stilts then we could cycle under them and they could literally overtake us. That would be handy.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    A convoy of cars preventing other road users from overtaking! Pitchforks!

THEY WERE BEHIND CYCLISTS TWO ABREAST CYCLISTS!!! :pac:

John_Rambo wrote: »
    THEY WERE BEHIND CYCLISTS TWO ABREAST CYCLISTS!!! :pac:

If two ladies cycle side-by-side, is that four abreast?

There's some donkeys out there though, I drove from Raheny to Howth in Dublin behind a tall fooker on a road bike, he was pumping, 35 to 40kph all the way like some sort of robot maniac in black Lycra, because of his speed (I'm guessing) he was more or less in the middle of the lane.

I was in no rush so I stayed back. There was a VIP in his (white of course) Audi behind me beeping and swerving from side to side like an F1 driver warming his tyres in an early 90's grand prix. He eventually overtook with a cloud of diesel smoke and then stopped at the traffic lights eight metres later. We all stopped and when the bulbs went green Audi took off like an exocet missile. Robot legs wasn't to far behind him. I stayed back (heavy load, stuff on the roof rack). Got to Sutton Cross... there we all were together (in electric dreams) again. Lights go green, Audi's off, manages a little wheelspin this time, Robot didn't even unclip at the lights, just stayed upright using some sort of centrifugal robotic force, he almost did a wheelspin too... Pedestrian lights before the village, we're together again, Audi man is sort of sliding down in his seat as tall robot stares him down.

I got a three kilo's of mussels, some monk fish cheeks, two sides of salmon, a kilo of Dublin bay prawns and four oysters. They gave me three free lemons.

Win.

PPA_safecycling2.jpg

Notice... only one cyclist!

• Advertisement

Yep, it's the exact same. Sure you can't make any progress at all when sitting behind a pair of cyclists doing 25-30kph. In fact, you are actually going backwards.

Average speed of a bikes may be 25-30kph. But you have to accept that the average speed of a car is NOT 25-30kph.

Just pull in to single file, it'll only take you 32 seconds of your life and the important chat can go proceed. What's the big deal?

If there were 2 people on the road walking their 2 dogs having a chat (at 3-5kph) and they walked on ignoring you for a few KM not letting you pass would you still take the same view?

Doubt it..

Advertisement