Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

flying11 wrote: »

I can easily see Vlad wearing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

I see we are neck and neck with the George part bus this puts us one ahead again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

But I do pay road tax! Do you think just because I'm not using my car I don't have a right to be on the road? Feck off!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

CJC999 wrote: »
    But I do pay road tax! Do you think just because I'm not using my car I don't have a right to be on the road? Feck off!

Feck they haven't brought in road tax again have they?

RobFowl wrote: »
    Feck they haven't brought in road tax again have they?

No I was only joking, they're bringing in wheel tax instead, cyclists will pay half that of cars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

They're bringing in wheel tax instead, cyclists will pay half that of cars.

The b*stards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

No I was only joking, they're bringing in wheel tax instead, cyclists will pay half that of cars.

Boards users scramble to delete all references to their respective fleets from the internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Boards users scramble to delete all references to their respective fleets from the internet...

I swear to god, it didn't have any wheels on it when I bought it! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tonight I was most confused to be in a commuter race, when I was running, and the other guy had forgotten his bicycle too. Most uncouth.
    Not sure why but this sprung to mind:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I know there was talk of cross coming to Tipp, not sure if its going ahead. Is it in Cork or Munster this year? I have checked a few web sites and can't see anything.

Near the end of November I believe. PM Tom Cashel maybe.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057022885/2/#post87016035

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not sure why but this sprung to mind:

It was just like that , but without the svelte athleticism of Bill Bailey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I've already paid a wheel tax - it's called VAT :(

Any truth that the new wheel tax will be on a sliding scale - the deeper the section, the steeper the tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Kase Clever Beach

Just would like to see what you gents think of the following. I have a friend who moved to Geneva a couple of months back. He says that all bikes there have to be insured, costs about 80 euro a year. This covers you if you plough into a car or something I'd imagine. A portion of the payment goes to Geneva City Council. Any bike that is not displaying a disk is sized by the council and sold at auction after 14 days. So what I'm asking is,

1. Would you support a scheme like that in cities (Dublin,Cork) etc. Obviously it wouldn't work in bally go backwards but it could work in a city setting.
    2. If not, why not?
    3. What cycling facilities would you improve/provide with money generated from such a scheme?

1. Would you support a scheme like that in cities (Dublin,Cork) etc. Obviously it wouldn't work in bally go backwards but it could work in a city setting.

No because the government would use it to generate revenue and increase it in the budget each year.

2. If not, why not?

See No. 1

3. What cycling facilities would you improve/provide with money generated from such a scheme?

N/A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Just would like to see what you gents think of the following. I have a friend who moved to Geneva a couple of months back. He says that all bikes there have to be insured, costs about 80 euro a year. This covers you if you plough into a car or something I'd imagine. A portion of the payment goes to Geneva City Council. Any bike that is not displaying a disk is sized by the council and sold at auction after 14 days. So what I'm asking is,

2. If not, why not?

Swiss liability and insurance laws might be very different. Most Irish cyclists have third party liability under their household insurance, a significant portion also have Cycling Ireland insurance which covers them when they're training.

I wouldn't support any scheme that discouraged cycling and it would raise major questions about liability for Bikeshare schemes (for instance the most likely response would be a significant increase in the subscription to cover the liability insurance). The cost of living in Geneva is horrendously high as it is so this sort of thing may not have the same impact it would here.

For instance, in Geneva that annual fee is the cost of ten cups of coffee here it would be more like Thirty two cups of coffee.

Also whether the revenue gathered would pay for much cycling infrastructure is dubious, infrastructure isn't nearly as much of a problem as road user behaviour. Even on the best cycle lanes we have people are constantly cycling the wrong way, walking, parking, driving, letting children play on scooters etc, bicycles belong on the road governed by grown up rules.

Aside from improved parking facilities the best infrastructural improvements would be to discourage motor traffic in cities and neutralising the previous three or four decades of work to bias our cities towards driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

So what I'm asking is,

2. If not, why not?

A 1) No.
    A 2) Any form of Govt/Council devised 'cost' is only a gateway to further hikes in the future. €80 this year. €120 next etc etc and will only serve to disincentivise city cycling. It will always be open to abuse especially in this country.
    A 3) A brand new cycle path from my house to my work. Pan flat and fully lit with little espresso huts dotted all along the route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I thought the vignette was done away with two or three years ago?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

2. If not, why not?

Think this should maybe get a thread of its own.

1. No

2. It would represent a barrier to cycling and to casual cycling in particular and you cannot compare Swiss local government to Irish local government - there'd be no guarantee it would be spent on cycling infra-structure; that it would be spent effectively and equitably; and that it wouldn't be used as a revenue stream by the city councils

3. If it was to go through, then I'd like to see it spent on developing NEW cycling related projects, rather than maintaining existing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Will that mean I can now openly mock the unicyclist I see on the Clontarf cycle track because he pays less tax? I suppose rollerbladers will become more aggressive too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I just pulled a grey hair from my head, I'm old.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

When there are no longer any grey hairs left to pull from your head, then you're old!

You're not old, you're distinguished.........and wait til you starting finding grey pubes :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jawgap wrote: »
    You're not old, you're distinguished.........and wait til you starting finding grey pubes :D

Jeebus, I have just had to cancel lunch! that image is going to haunt me! :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

When there are no longer any grey hairs left to pull from your head, then you're old!

I must be super efficient, I just went straight from full head of Brown hair to a solar panel with trimmings.

I do have grey in my beard though.

They wouldn't be discussing grey hairs on the party bus ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

MAN DOWN.......The curse of Blakes cross strikes again.
    Waiting in Beaumont x-ray to see what damage is done to my shoulder.
    Bloody sore now BUT not looking forward to the morning.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

bcmf wrote: »
    Hope you are OK bcmf. What happened - did you get hit? Was it cutting back across the filter lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

bcmf wrote: »

Eh....what about the bike? How's the bike? Eh?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Eh....what about the bike? How's the bike? Eh?
    I'll keep my eye out for it on the way home - dump it out of site in a ditch hide it somewhere discrete if I see it ...

• Advertisement

... but even more importantly, were you wearing the Boards gear, and if so, how did it fare?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement