Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Onwards and upwards. Nobody knows who was not taking drugs in this era. It may all simply mean demoting one drug cheat in the tour and replacing with one who has a lower profile.
    The only thing to take from all this is the need for the credible blood passports and as much monitoring as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The same reason Marion Jones was never caught. The dopers are ahead of the dope tests, they take drugs/transfusions that they know won't show up in a drugs test. Could you not have worked that out yourself?

Pretty much every 2nd or 3rd placed cyclist he has ever beaten has been implicated in doping or is a confirmed doper. In 1998 the French police raided the tour de france and found doping equipment everywhere. In 1999 the year of Lance's first tour win they thought the doping was cleaned up and the winning time for the race would be slower, it was much much faster. If you look the power outputs LA and others were doing back in the early 2000's it virtually impossible to do that without being on drugs/blood boosting/etc. He's guilty beyond any resonable doubt.

So the times today are slower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

No
    finbarrk wrote: »
    I f you think he was the biggest dope cheat in sport why wasn't he caught with all the tests that were done on him?

Marion Jones never failed a test either and she always used he line "I have never tested positive"

At the time she was the most tested athlete in the world.

In a way I'm hugely disappointed that it has ended like this, bit of a whimper to be honest. I think Lance will always have supporters and by doing this he has saved a lot more than if it was dragged through courts like the BALCO scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No
    Jan Ullrich: "Whoever still can't put one and one together about what happened in cycling is beyond my help."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No
    So the times today are slower.

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

No
    The amount of fanboys still supporting him, on various comments associated with the news on all sorts of different sites is mindboggling. Worse than Apple fanboys they are. Talk about blinkered. I reckon if he started up a religion he'd be bigger than that Pope dude.
    Mindboggling really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    Already added to the list of shame....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doping_cases_in_cycling

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

No
    I really hope the titles are taken from him but I also hope they're not allocated to second place finishers, they shouldn't be awarded to anybody. The vacancies in the record books should stand as a permanent reminder, the nadir of the sport and hopefully as a line in the sand to mark the turn around point, it's own d-day.

Oh yeah McQuaid needs to get to f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Does anyone have a link to the info graphic that shows who will be promoted if lance is stripped of his tour wins?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No
    I doubt if anyone will be promoted. With Riis they first took his name from the record book without promoting anyone. Then they put it back in again but with an asterisk next to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No
    They should leave those tours with no winner imo. A permanent testimony to the most shameful period in cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

No
    I was blown away reading the story in the Irish Independent this morning. I can't believe how big the doping was, times getting slower and everyone everything supporting Armstrong with his cancer just to now put the whole thing down as a doping ring. It wasn't too long ago Armstrong was in Dublin doing a cycle AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

No
    Any word from sherwin and Liggett?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

No
    mikerd4 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to the info graphic that shows who will be promoted if lance is stripped of his tour wins?

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/armstrong1150px.jpg

Quite the farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Cheers Maximoose

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

No
    quagmired wrote: »
    kimmage will be trilled. He might flog a few more books and recruit some more readers to his bile. He was always much better at writing sensationalist tripe with a very very loose connection to reality than he was at cycling (average? No mate, you were rubbish).
    Truth is we'll never know. There is zero evidence. Which makes me laugh so much at all the smug idiots who tell you 'oh I knew all along'. They're just attention craving losers who want to be seen on the right side of the fence rathe than deal with the complex matters of reality, facts and proof.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

No
    morana wrote: »
    Any word from sherwin and Liggett?
    “He told me in a private situation, when I wasn’t working as a journalist. I was sat in the bedroom some years ago, and I asked him point blank, ‘look Lance, the way I talked you up on television, I would have to back off and resign if you one day went positive’. And he looked at me and he said ‘man I’ve seen death in the face and I don’t take drugs.’ And that’s all he said. I have no reason to disbelieve him.”

But I’ve been with him on his private jet when he’s been reading stuff on Cyclingnews and he’s gone, ‘god damn it look at what they’re saying about me again’ and he just passes his computer over to his friends.”

More BS from that twat Liggett here

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    You can see his legal and pr teams are out in full force on that one. Never forgetting at the end of the piece to mention what a good guy he is and how much good he has done. That is the only reason he has escaped so long. He was too popular to attempt to bring down, imo. He is still using that popularity as a barrier against any of the mud that is slung his way.

He says they all raced the same mountains in the same conditions. Yeah. And many of the others he raced against are known dopers. Same conditions, huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Yes, but he's still great
    I still like riding my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

No
    Hungrycol wrote: »
    Jeez have you learned nothing? IT'S NOT ABOUT THE BIKE!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    quagmired wrote: »
    kimmage will be trilled. .........There is zero evidence. Which makes me laugh so much at all the smug idiots who tell you 'oh I knew all along'. They're just attention craving losers who want to be seen on the right side of the fence rathe than deal with the complex matters of reality, facts and proof.

What is it about dopers you love so much ?

Nasty comment at the end from Lance saying that he doesn't think anyone in the world affected by cancer will forgive him for his comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

No
    Give all your millions to cancer research while you are at it Lance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

No
    kenmc wrote: »
    Jeez have you learned nothing? IT'S NOT ABOUT THE BIKE!!!!!!!

Is it about the cancer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hungrycol wrote: »
    DOPER!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

He expertly used the Ad Hominem fallacy http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/poster to turn Paul Kimmage's question about his attitude to doping into an interview about how Paul Kimmage had insulted him!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No
    397790-pn-new-wide-armstrong.jpg

Karma's a bitch.

I do realise the headline is a bit ahead of itself and other things need to happen for his titles to be stripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No

“He told me in a private situation, when I wasn’t working as a journalist".
    LOL...since when was Phil Ligget ever a journalist? I thought his title was head cheerleader.

“But I’ve been with him on his private jet"
    The jet is not Armstrong's jet, its Livestrong's jet. Only people like Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan could afford a private jet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    Michael Hutchinson ‏@Doctor_Hutch I love twitter on days like this. It's like half a million people standing in a pub all yelling at the top of their voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

No
    I'm glad that finally we have a resolution to the LA saga. I love watching cycling. But I've got to admit that professional cyclists have managed to make it pretty hard to love. Even watching the Vuelta I find it hard. You think you've spotted a new star and in your mind you wonder if he's a doper.

The thing that hurts most in cycling is most of the cyclists attitudes. Why does no one expose the whole scene? It makes you think that perhaps there is no such thing as clean cyclists, anywhere. They make it seem like when one gets caught they're happy it's not them rather than angry at the doper.

And as for Lance. The inspiration, the scathing attacks on journalists who even mention doping to him. His defence of cheating team mates. His charity.
    I don't now how he justifies it all? His shame. How he looked in a camera and told the world this great lie?
    I'll never know. I'll never understand.

And for cycling this is a great day. It shows that even if the UCI are scared to ruin the image of the sport there are others who are out to save it.

Today I remember those cyclists who stayed clean. Who never made the pro circuit. Lance and his ilk have robbed us of the true champions.

He always talked about having one ball. Today he's shown he never had any balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

No
    I think the nine million in bonus payments he received for winning the tours would be alot more valuable loss than the ceremonial stripping, maybe he could play Prince Harry at Billiards! Celebrity stripping:D

Advertisement