Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'48' Mobile operator - Prepaid offer - 3000mins & 5000 texts €10per month

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That drink comparison was retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

sim ordered,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

pissed wrote: »
    Whats the worst your going to be stung for though? €10

I moreso meant the hassle of having to switch again to another company, transfer your number again, etc. I find all that stuff to be such a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

......(snip)....... this makes 3 mvno's on the way in the next couple of weeks, ......(snip).....

Who are the others????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

johndoc wrote: »
    Who are the others????

All prepay mobile providers are here.

More Mobile MVNO is apparently launching next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Have had a pretty good around there site and can't find any info on data costs once the feb offer expires. Anyone got any info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I think the drink reference is suggesting that people lie about their age, as that's what i did at 16/17 years old to get into pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Would this be an good time to buy a Dual Sim phone? One 48month sim, and one with the better PAYG data package?

Would this be an good time to buy a Dual Sim phone? One 48month sim, and one with the better PAYG data package?

Yeah, good idea.
    digitaldr wrote: »
    Have had a pretty good around there site and can't find any info on data costs once the feb offer expires. Anyone got any info on this?

The rate from March 1st 2012 is not yet published.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Seems like a great deal, but I don't understand the offer and the web site is unstable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

http://www.48months.ie/index/pricing

Ouch

1890 numbers 50c per minute*
    076 (VOIP) 50c per minute*
    Call forwarding 50c per minute*
    0818 universal access number 50c per minute*

There was a mobile MVNO in the UK similar to this called Blyk. The gimmick was Blyk offered free calls and texts, in return for accepting advertising messages being sent to your phone.

Blyk was also age restricted, under 24 only, they confirmed your age using your passport number, which they requested at sign-up. Of course, this then spawned an Ebay market in "fake" passport numbers that people of any age could buy to sign up for Blyk. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

My 48 cent on this one, it's too good to be true, even if I just turned 18 a ....while ago :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

only thing holding me back is the data plans..its fine at moment... 2 euro for 500mb for a week... don't see the point of daily rates for people with smart phones...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Strange to market at a young crowd but have poor data pricing. I would have thought a good deal on data could be up there with the original meteor to meteor free text in popularity with that age group.

only thing holding me back is the data plans..its fine at moment... 2 euro for 500mb for a week... don't see the point of daily rates for people with smart phones...

Worse still, it is going to be hourly rates rather than daily rates.

This package is really only for those that don't use data on the go, which is an increasingly smaller percentage of the population.

The package is also not for those that call internationally regularly, those that call landlines regularly, those that like webtexts, those who use customer care and those that like subsidised operator phones.

Having said that, if it is for you, then it is a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

i would of thought that 18- 22 wold be using internet all the time... facebook etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Seems to be a pathetic attempt to try and win back some of the customers they lost to Meteor/Three.

o2 must be haemorrhaging market share.

Beware the small print!

i would of thought that 18- 22 wold be using internet all the time... facebook etc..

Thats exactly the point.

Telefonica hook young people in with a cheap headline call and text rate and then screw you on data costs. The exact demographic that is most likely to use data.

Avoid like the plague if you have an always on smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

This appears to be a reaction to "Free Mobile" which was launched in France two weeks ago to much fanfare, offering unlimited voice, texts and data for €20 a month and another restricted plan for just €2 a month.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/248848/french_telecom_regulator_steps_into_dispute_over_free_mobiles_coverage.html
    The impact of Free Mobile's launch could be felt across Europe, even though the company has no operations outside France. With many countries auctioning off spectrum to operate 4G mobile services over LTE (Long Term Evolution), new market entrants will be keeping a close eye on Free Mobile's low-cost business model. It may also affect mobile pricing across Europe by providing a new benchmark for regulators, particularly the European Commission in its mission to lower the cost of roaming: One element keeping roaming fees high is the cost of network access in the country visited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

subbing to thread.

Just got this reply from an admin on O2.ie regarding 48 Months.ie:
    .... 48 is independent from O2 but it is part of the Telefónica Digital family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

The business model seems to have two core and diverging assumptions

a.) Most young people don't user the internet on their phone
    b.) Most your people who do use the internet are too dumb to figure out they will be screwed on data charges.

Not sure I would bet a lot of money on either being true....

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭paulcdub85

i for one, and there are many like me, never use a phone for anything but calls and texts so this is a great deal...sims in the post!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

Oracle wrote: »
    There was a mobile MVNO in the UK similar to this called Blyk. The gimmick was Blyk offered free calls and texts, in return for accepting advertising messages being sent to your phone.

Blyk was also age restricted, under 24 only, they confirmed your age using your passport number, which they requested at sign-up. Of course, this then spawned an Ebay market in "fake" passport numbers that people of any age could buy to sign up for Blyk. :D

In the UK Blyk was an ad funded MVNO that gave youth customers a certain value of credit per month for use on calls, SMS and internet. In return they sent the customers SMS and MMS based ads that were targeted based on customer preferences, age and gender. At the sign up customers had to answer a load of questions about their interests.

Blyk ended up closing because customers only used their free credit for outbound calls and text. Once they were finished they swapped back to their main SIM card.

This is quiet a different proposition as they are looking to get customers to port their number over thus using 48months as their main line. In addition they are give a very large amount of credit in return for a low monthly charge. payment.
    Just got this reply from an admin on O2.ie regarding 48 Months.ie:

Quote:
    .... 48 is independent from O2 but it is part of the Telefónica Digital family.

It will be very interesting to to see if they start to target these 48month customers with adverts, considering it is being managed by "Telefónica Digital" . I am assuming that Telefonica digital is the same as O2 Media in the UK (http://www.o2media.co.uk/). This 18-22 year old audience is notoriously difficult to advertise to so a mobile based advertising media service would certainly be something O2 are looking at here.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

14.2 We may also use your information and personal details to contact you with marketing messages by SMS, email, phone or post. We will do this for so long as you continue to use the 48 Services and for a reasonable period of time after you cease to use the 48 Services in order to inform you about products and services and promotions and special offers which we feel may be of interest to you. These marketing messages will provide you with information about our own products and services and information about products and services provided by our selected partners and third parties. If you do not wish to receive such information please contact us in the ways we allow via www.48months.ie to amend your preference.

This is the part of their T&C's that say they may use the customers details for advertising

.... This is quiet a different proposition as they are looking to get customers to port their number over thus using 48months as their main line. In addition they are give a very large amount of credit in return for a low monthly charge. payment ....

That brings up a question; it's not clear to me whether 48 Months give you a SIM with a usable number, or you have to port an existing number.

About Blyk, I was saying it was similar to Blyk, only in the sense of being age restricted or age marketed. I wouldn't imagine 48 Months are going to send their users advert texts. After all the calls and texts may be cheap, but they're not free. Also I think if they were planning anything like that, they'd have to make it very clear from the outset. Even if they did you could opt out, as you've quoted from the terms and conditions above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

That brings up a question; it's not clear to me whether 48 Months give you a SIM with a usable number, or you have to port an existing number.

48 uses the 089 number prefix so you can get a proper number from them. At this stage the website is exceptionally unclear as to how you port or just get a new number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

how would they check the age of the customer who signs up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    subbing to thread.

Advertisement