Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Problems with PayPal Masspay

Options
  • 19-10-2011 7:05pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My website uses PayPal Masspay. I take payments from customers who are providing services to eachother and then pay them via masspay. It stopped working a few weeks ago, I needed to jump through a few hoops and provide id and address details etc. However now I have done this and then it still was not working

So, I called them and they said that last month they changed the rules and from now on, new customers are not allowed used masspay unless they are large businesses with an account manager. Since my account had been disabled at this time - they said they are unable to reinstate masspay to my account. I'm not nearly big enough to warrant an account manager.

So effectively they want to shut down my website - and there is nothing I can do. I've put a huge amount of time and effort and money into it - is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Probably not. If they withdrew the service without giving reasonable notice then the financial regulator should take a dim view and order them to compensate those the service was withdrawn from. That however is unlikely to happen.

PayPal have been getting an increasingly bad rap lately, especially with sellers. I'm seeing stories on a daily basis and the contempt with which they treat retailers is scary. There doesn't seem to be another similar service that works in Ireland, and the cost of a full gateway/credit card processing service is prohibitive unless you're doing a lot of transactions.

Coincidentally, I've got a client site and the Paypal payments just stopped working. When redirected to the Paypal site to do the payment, it complains that the credit card number supplied is invalid. It's worked for years, and the code base hasn't changed in over a year, yet PayPal insists that the originating website is somehow at fault. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Well, I finally got a reply, and they are not going to do anything for me. They obviously do not care that they lose me as a customer, and turning the switch to re-enable my account, is more hassle than its worth. Nice one, cheers Paypal.

So, I'm not sure how I can get out of this. Its just not manageable to do all the payments manually really - and I'm told it would be expensive to redesign my site to use another payment method. So my site which I've put a lot of time, effort and money into, will probably now die. A real shame.

I'm not taking this lying down. The thing about social media is that anyone can have a voice and get their story heard - I intend to make a lot of noise about this. Maybe they'll change their minds...

Advertisement