Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

re mapping / chipping of a car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭obi604

EPM wrote: »
    That's a serious increase!

Stop, tell me about it. Im inreasing the power by 25 % roughly and insurance costs are rising by 50%..........disulusioned to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd ring around different companies for a quote and switch if required.

I'd ring around different companies for a quote and switch if required.

Could be right EPM, thing is can you switch insurance companies when already payed up for the year ??

I only renewed a month ago with this crowd

You're entitled to a refund of what's left. There may be a small admin charge so ask how much that is.

You're entitled to a refund of what's left. There may be a small admin charge so ask how much that is.

Are you 110% sure on that EPM

• Advertisement

Thunk it was an EU ruling recently enough (open to correction) but A family member has done it when changing car. Main thing to make sure is the admin charge is less than any increase in premium.

YEars back Hibernian wouldn't insure me on a Celica, had 6 months left on the policy, they had no issue refunding me pro rata. A month in you wouldn't be worried about NCB either.

RoverJames wrote: »
    YEars back Hibernian wouldn't insure me on a Celica, had 6 months left on the policy, they had no issue refunding me pro rata. A month in you wouldn't be worried about NCB either.

Hello, how do u mean "you wouldn't be worried about NCB either"

Could changinf the policy to another company affect ones NCB ??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

obi604 wrote: »
    Are you 110% sure on that EPM

I am, recently did it

I am, recently did it

Did it affect your no claims bonus ?

Did it cost anything to change ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Did it affect your no claims bonus ?

Did it cost anything to change ?

I don't know what you mean.You cancel your current insurance,they issue you a refund and send out your NCB cert.

You lose any months you've accrued towards your NCB.So,say for example you had 11 months gone in your policy,you lose that year.This didn't really impact me as I had a full NCB anyway.

I don't know what you mean.You cancel your current insurance,they issue you a refund and send out your NCB cert.

You lose any months you've accrued towards your NCB.So,say for example you had 11 months gone in your policy,you lose that year.This didn't really impact me as I had a full NCB anyway.

Sound, I wasnt really sure either of the q I was asking : )
    there was just someone earlier who mentioned NCB and cancellation but you have cleared it up now

Anyone know of which insurance company ( if any ) is re map friendly

the couple of calls ive made so far , staroight away , the answer was NO or else premium doubled when they heard the word re map

and the funny thing is then that if I was to get a quote on car that was just 175 BHP by default withoput a re map e.g. the 2008 BMW 320D, the quote would not be that high at all probbaly

just seems to be when they hear the word re map, they dont want any of it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Anyone know of which insurance company ( if any ) is re map friendly

the couple of calls ive made so far , staroight away , the answer was NO or else premium doubled when they heard the word re map

and the funny thing is then that if I was to get a quote on car that was just 175 BHP by default withoput a re map e.g. the 2008 BMW 320D, the quote would not be that high at all probbaly

just seems to be when they hear the word re map, they dont want any of it
    Zurich are generally re map friendly but looking above that may have changed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

MugMugs wrote: »
    Zurich are generally re map friendly but looking above that may have changed.

How does that tally with your 40% figure though? :confused:

How does that tally with your 40% figure though? :confused:

I dont see the relevance between that quote and query Henry ? What do you mean how does the 40% tally with Zurich being the most re-map friendly Insurer ? :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I dont see the relevance between that quote and query Henry ? What do you mean how does the 40% tally with Zurich being the most re-map friendly Insurer ? :confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you say that below 40% power increase made no difference to premiums? :confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you say that below 40% power increase made no difference to premiums? :confused:

Aha, No. I meant 40% premium difference.

MugMugs declares his vehicle as being registered in Dublin when in fact it lives in North Louth. Insurer looks at this and wont cancel if there is not a 40% premium difference between the risk addresses.

DId I say power ? :eek:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Henry Ford III View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MugMugs View Post
    It is.You could also be treated as driving uninsured.

Can only be seen as Non Disclosure if the premium would have been effected by 40% or more though.

OP - If you re map your vehicle then inform your insurer. If not for yourself then for me should you come ploughing around a corner and take me out of it. I'd like to be re instated promptly and not have to wait for Indemnity checks which could have been avoided.
    Is the 40% you refer to above company specific MugMugs?

I'd have thought way less maybe 20% would be a material change in engine power.
    40% under the Consumer Protection Code. Over this they can avoid the policy, honour TP claims and recover from the insured. I only know that as I had to learn the CPC during a recent Audit.

This is getting a tad confusing.

• Advertisement

This is getting a tad confusing.

Tis

an only be seen as Non Disclosure if the premium would have been effected by 40% or more though.

Apologies if I led you or the OP to believe power. :/

Got it now :D

The poster who upped power by 25% but got hit with a 50% premium increase could have had a claim refused then, had they not disclosed.

Got it now :D

The poster who upped power by 25% but got hit with a 50% premium increase could have had a claim refused then, had they not disclosed.

Bingo

Bingo

Im still confused on this.
    So if I upped my power by for example 20 BHP, this maybe would increase my premium by 30% IF I told them

BUT if I ddint tell the insurance company about this extra power and had an accident, I could still make a valid claim as the premium increase would have only been 30% greater ( i.e under 40% )

is the above correct ?

Im still confused on this.
    So if I upped my power by for example 20 BHP, this maybe would increase my premium by 30% IF I told them

BUT if I ddint tell the insurance company about this extra power and had an accident, I could still make a valid claim as the premium increase would have only been 30% greater ( i.e under 40% )

is the above correct ?

Just to be clear, I wouldnt endorse that.

But yes. They would take the Additional premium and honour the claim.

Be very wary though.

Insurers have clauses in policies that state " We can cancel your policy and reutrn any premium outstanding without giving you a reason..... etc etc "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    They can't tell...but they can get the car dealer/manufacturer to check and they can tell whether it's been remapped or not.
    You're up shít's creek then if the report comes back positive.
    Insurance companies know which car models tend to get remapped/chipped etc so they will get these tested.

On that issue:
    When I bought my CMax (a used '06) it took off like a scalded cat, that led to the pipe between the turbo and inlet manifold blowing.
    At first I didn't know that, I only got a warning light, Ford initially re-loaded the system software before the fault was discovered and fixed.
    After the engine software was reloaded, I noticed my car was definitely more sedate in pace.
    My theory: it was remapped until Ford reset it.
    I didn't know that, as I wasn't made aware either way.
    What happens if I had had an accident and my insurance company had found out it was remapped?
    It's hardly my fault, since I declared all the facts as far as I was aware of them, surely I can't be blamed?
    This does, of course, effect everyone else who unwittingly buys a second hand car that has been remapped without them knowing.
    I'm in the clear now, but what if...?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

On that issue:
    When I bought my CMax (a used '06) it took off like a scalded cat, that led to the pipe between the turbo and inlet manifold blowing.
    At first I didn't know that, I only got a warning light, Ford initially re-loaded the system software before the fault was discovered and fixed.
    After the engine software was reloaded, I noticed my car was definitely more sedate in pace.
    My theory: it was remapped until Ford reset it.
    I didn't know that, as I wasn't made aware either way.
    What happens if I had had an accident and my insurance company had found out it was remapped?
    It's hardly my fault, since I declared all the facts as far as I was aware of them, surely I can't be blamed?
    This does, of course, effect everyone else who unwittingly buys a second hand car that has been remapped without them knowing.
    I'm in the clear now, but what if...?

Maybe the date of the remap is stored in the ECU? Only a guess.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

i see you are contemplating re-mapping a gti yourself

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

dharn wrote: »
    i see you are contemplating re-mapping a gti yourself

I am, what of it?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Maybe the date of the remap is stored in the ECU? Only a guess.

Well, I'm guessing myself, but it's an idea.

Advertisement