Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tai chi

• 02-05-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any tai chi classes on in limerick city . Am bored with my life at the moment and need to try something new. Thought I'd give this a try but am open to other suggestions. I'd like do something new and fun. life can be quiet dull sometimes :(

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Hi yogalady

I am in a similar situation and was thinking of giving tag rugby a go. There is a league you can sign up for at itra.com and it will match you up with a team that is looking for players. Might be worth a shot, I have never played before but hopefully won't disgrace myself too much as it is a social league rather than for professionals (I hope!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It is a social league - but some people do get competitive. Been playing for the last number of years! And pig 'n' porter is coming up in July (biggest tag rugby festival in the world) so you might have a team to enter!

Just to add - it is great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I know someone who does Tai Chi, I'll ask him tomorrow where he does it and I'll get back to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

yogalady wrote: »
    Hi there

Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any tai chi classes on in limerick city . Am bored with my life at the moment and need to try something new. Thought I'd give this a try but am open to other suggestions. I'd like do something new and fun. life can be quiet dull sometimes :(

Thanks

Definitely try it, you've nothing to lose, everything to gain. What is it about Tai Chi that specifically interests you? Don't expect it to be of any use for self defense, or much of an aerobic workout (a warning just so you won't be disappointed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

ye people need to come take up ju jitzu with me and our fearless leader Insect Overlord!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

Hey guys.

just would like to do something different and meet new people. Everyone says tag rugby but am not that sporty. Have been doing yoga for years and LOVE it. I would like to try tai chi because I think i'd enjoy the physical and mental sides to it. Sur can't do any harm to try it! Jitzu sounds good too. Any info on that be great.

Thanks everyone
    people here are very nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

ill PM you details there yogalady...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Hey Yogalady, I asked him about where he does it, He said he does Tai Chi in the Mechanics Institute on Hartstone Street, next to the snooker club - However the new classes aren't starting until Spetember, but if you want to contact him the guy who runs it is Nick Gudge. I don't have a number I'll try and get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Nwm2 wrote: »
    Don't expect it to be of any use for self defense
    Yang long form is extremely effective for self defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

YFlyer wrote: »
    Yang long form is extremely effective for self defence.

Does the Yang long form involve primarily solo practice and prearranged attacks by non-resisting partners?

It looks to me like it does.

If that is the case, it is as ineffective and inefficient as all the other martial arts which share that same characteristic.

The first half of my 21 years practicing and teaching MA were spent doing and teaching one of these types of Asian martial arts, before I (extremely reluctantly) accepted that it is almost impossible to learn to effectively employ techniques by primarily solo practice or against prearranged attacks by non-resisting partners, or in essentially non-contact competition. The truly effective martial arts do not have this as their core (boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, MMA, BJJ, judo, full contact karate etc).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 notahope

Taiji (to use the correct term) is an effective martial art IF it is trained that way. Martial arts that Nwm2 has listed (boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, MMA, BJJ, judo, full contact karate ) are all trained with partners / full contact. Taiji can also be trained this way but the big issue is that there are so few people teaching Taiji that know the self defence applications and can apply them in any situation. Taiji can also be an extremelly good aerobic workout but again there is a lot of 'Tai Chi Light' (dumbed down Taiji out there :-( and it is very difficult for a beginner to find out who is good and who is not.
    Having said all that Nick Gudge is an excellent teacher and knows his stuff. Worth checking out in September if you are still looking Yogalady.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MikeOConnor

Definitely try it, you've nothing to lose, everything to gain. What is it about Tai Chi that specifically interests you? Don't expect it to be of any use for self defense, or much of an aerobic workout (a warning just so you won't be disappointed).
    Try discover taiji, training is tough though, but what was ever good and easy :-)

Does the Yang long form involve primarily solo practice and prearranged attacks by non-resisting partners?

Its not Karate. You can attack any way you want.

Its not Karate. You can attack any way you want.

The primary methods are song jin (lack of unnessessry tension) and ting jin (listening), training for this is a daily 50min solo routeen. Then tactics are stick, adhear, join, follow in order to lead the opponent into a troublesome position , training for this is partner drills. The form is an advanced practice that contains many tricks assuming u are doing it right. Free form takes a while to get to. It's a slow process, side benefits are health improvements.
    But bank on 1hr training a day and it gets tougher after the first 3 years
    Try discover taiji online

It looks to me like it does.

If that is the case, it is as ineffective and inefficient as all the other martial arts which share that same characteristic.

The first half of my 21 years practicing and teaching MA were spent doing and teaching one of these types of Asian martial arts, before I (extremely reluctantly) accepted that it is almost impossible to learn to effectively employ techniques by primarily solo practice or against prearranged attacks by non-resisting partners, or in essentially non-contact competition. The truly effective martial arts do not have this as their core (boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, MMA, BJJ, judo, full contact karate etc).

Did you practice 'pushing hands'?

Did you practice 'pushing hands'?
    Sure I know what you are saying, it's certainly true that hard external MA will be a quick route to gaining fighting and self defence skills. You'll probably learn how to punch and kick on the first day. They are definitely the right choice if that's what you want.
    I am only at the lower levels of taiji. I dabbled locally for 15 years in Cork. That maintained my flexibility and immune system. But it didn't teach me to fight. During that time I did basic push hands drills, not enough to say I'm any way knacky.
    I am hopeful the Discover Taiji program will take me further quicker. The training is tough enough, as it should be if you hope to get anywhere. I started that a year ago, starting partner drills now.
    If you hope to be able to fight with taiji, you need to train fighting. This takes long time. And requires a teacher that can fight with taiji. And a teacher that shares their knowledge.

Advertisement