Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE: The Savage Eye

• 23-11-2009 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Not liking this. There's nothing in it. It's caused a silent boredom in our living room.

Himself and Jason Byrne, making modern Irish comedy seem like making loud noises and silly faces is funny.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

It's all over the place. Is this intentional?

There's certainly potential there but it's just somewhat missing the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

It's actually alright, and has the potential to get better.. Surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

It's savage.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

brutal.com !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I actually laughed out loud at a few bits and me sittin in the room on my own. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I thought this wold be completely pony but i dont know, it's not that bad, it's certainly a cut above the likes of The Panel, Republic of Telly etc. At least there's a bit of originality about it although they just ripped off a joke from Tropic Thunder there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

RTE should be ashamed of themselves.
    This is even worse than I imagined possible. Won't be watching again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

This man is not funny. It's no wonder he got a hiding. I know it's been said to death but RTE and comedy have become like oil and water. Shameful waste of public money giving this guy another chance. Did we not get enough last yr.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I maybe stoned, but I think it's one of the funniest Irish shows ever. The segments on Irish artists and the Irish language are equal parts bitterly true and insightfully funny. Des Bishop trying to resuscitate the Irish language. Great stuff imho. But hell, I am really stoned... Irish dancing as a martial art. Quality :)

they just ripped off a joke from Tropic Thunder there.

David McSavage rip off someone else's material? NEVER! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

I've always despised him. But this is actually relatively good. Some clever stuff.

Edit: HE HAD TO FUKCING SING AND RUIN IT!...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I am willing to give this a decent chance, because I think the humour might just take a bit of getting used to. It got a chuckle or two out of it alright.

This is more than I can say for Jason Byrne, the 3unt.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

A lot better than I thought it would be (the odd laugh) still think he's a twat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I am willing to give this a decent chance, because I think the humour might just take a bit of getting used to. It got a chuckle or two out of it alright.

This is more than I can say for Jason Byrne, the 3unt.
    Stop, I was going to say he makes him look good but I couldn't rise that hack.

I'm actually depressed after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wyndman

It's derivative, bile-filled ****e from the biggest loser in Ireland. Just unearned cursing and old, old jokes.

I loved your man with the hump behind the bar:D. Very original show I thought. I thought it was crap starting off but I was pleasantly surprised:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I, like most people on boards, really hate that McSavage guy, but I have to admit I laughed quite a bit during this show. I'm surprised... and a little ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I really wanted to hate it but i just couldn't, there's some decent material in there, i'm surprised to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Mary Robinson is hilarious. Savage does a good woman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I only saw the end of it but thought it was quite good to be honest. Say what you want about Dave McSavage, but I'd much rather watch half an hour of him than the likes of Ardal O'Hanlon or Dara O'Brien (or how ever you spell his name).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I only saw the end of it but thought it was quite good to be honest. Say what you want about Dave McSavage, but I'd much rather watch half an hour of him than the likes of Ardal O'Hanlon or Dara O'Brien (or how ever you spell his name).
    What?!

See the two priests in the Book of Kells sketch:D, the face of your man sitting down...dead funny....and Des Bishop on top of your one in the bed..and the td at the desk he was ..'The Minister For Problems':D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I reckon the reason for the, dare i say it, 'positive' response to this show is that because it is McSavage, the expectations were soooooo low that pretty much anything was gonna seem better than expected and therefore be rated above its actual value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Ah come on people, that was a lot better than most of the 'comedy' RTÉ has put out lately. It didn't follow conventional formats that RTÉ tend to stick to and I got a good amount of laughs from it.

I'm not a big fan of McSavage but this was enjoyable. Someone criticised it for being all over the place but I liked that aspect, at least it wasn't predictable. Anyone who wrote it off completely must be very hard to please.

I think people have very high expectations from RTÉ, they are a small broadcaster in comparison to the likes of BBC and C4 etc. The pool of talent here isn't as big either.

Having said that I think RTÉ could do with a serious overhall. They need to be more adventurous and take more risks with home made comedy.

Drifting off topic now, so anyway, I'd give it a 7/10. Will watch next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

It was pretty decent. I like his previous stuff too especially "Why do the Irish Drink so Much" a while back. :p

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Alwayson

Was also watching this on my own but thankfully someone called and I had to go out. Saw ten minutes. It wasn't good. The Minister sketch and the Mary McAleese sketch were straight out of Halls Pictorial Weekly but no funnier. I thought bad things came in threes - The new Panel, The new Podge n Rodge snow and The Republic of Telly... but this is looking like four in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

all i can say about that programme is WTF

very very strange.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Ivan wrote: »
    Des Bishop trying to resuscitate the Irish language.
    That was kind of funny in idea but for some reason the sketch didn't make me laugh. Alot of the show was like that - I was thinking thats a funny idea....but i'm not laughing
    Aldebaran wrote: »
    I, like most people on boards, really hate that McSavage guy, but I have to admit I laughed quite a bit during this show. I'm surprised... and a little ashamed.

Yeah why do people hate him so much on here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Say what you want about Dave McSavage, but I'd much rather watch half an hour of him than the likes of Ardal O'Hanlon or Dara O'Brien (or how ever you spell his name).

Dara O Briain is one of the funniest Irish comedians ever, he's a legend!

• Advertisement

Can anyone make a list of everyone he ripped off in this show? Hall's pictoral weekly, Langerland....

They should have given David O'Doherty another series instead of this crap.

Advertisement